Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 06-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkles
Does it matter which is which though? (honest question - does it matter what is causing us trouble right now?)

It doesn't matter to me, it is what it is but it could for some. You often hear of some poor souls tormented with guilt because they feel responsible for things that have happened in their lives.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Knower
yeah I don't think it matters either

I think it's important to realize that some things going on in your life come from a place that you wouldn't automatically think of (ancestors etc but maybe not even blood related?). It's pretty amazing to think about this, that you have the ability to heal things that have been going on for generations, and that everything is intertwined. It all comes together at one point and you can break the 'spell' so to speak. If you can find the key, that is.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:33 PM
Master
Quote:
yeah I don't think it matters either

I think it's important to realize that some things going on in your life come from a place that you wouldn't automatically think of (ancestors etc but maybe not even blood related?). It's pretty amazing to think about this, that you have the ability to heal things that have been going on for generations, and that everything is intertwined. It all comes together at one point and you can break the 'spell' so to speak. If you can find the key, that is.

Some things from our Ancestors can never be healed.
Genetic traits passed from one generation to the next can cause so much misery for some familys, is that Karma or genetic, or both, who knows .

If you find the key make me a copy..
Old 06-03-2016, 10:20 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Some things from our Ancestors can never be healed.
Genetic traits passed from one generation to the next can cause so much misery for some familys, is that Karma or genetic, or both, who knows .

If you find the key make me a copy..

Alcoholism is one such trait that comes to mind. However if the afflicted person chose not to drink there is no reason that they couldn't live a full and contented life.
To be born into such a family however may well be their karma from a previous life. But all of these arguments are only possibilitys. The only real dharma is to box on from whatever position you happen to find yourself in.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
Alcoholism is one such trait that comes to mind. However if the afflicted person chose not to drink there is no reason that they couldn't live a full and contented life.
To be born into such a family however may well be their karma from a previous life. But all of these arguments are only possibilitys. The only real dharma is to box on from whatever position you happen to find yourself in.

I was thinking more of Genetic illnesses where there is no choice, some familys suffer from one generation to the next .

We now have genetic engineering that can eliminate a lot of disease but how does this fit into Karma, Buddha did say that not all Karma is caused by our actions so my understand is that although he never used the word DNA he was wise enough to help us understand what suffering genetics can cause and it is not always Karma.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Master

Quote:
I found the link: https://www.facebook.com/guangmingte...917124894128:0

Interesting read!

We all remember the French Concorde spewing out fire as it went down outside Paris. Now we are being told that this is a case of individual karmas' debts collectively being 'paid'. That would be as if the world was full of minor Armageddons.

Karma doesn't exist as a form of retribution. In fact it doesn't exist at all really. It's the actions required in our lives to keep us on the middle way. We recognise it as conscience. Yes, Karma is formed by thoughts, words and actions and of consciously being aware of the need to keep a balance on the tightrope of life. That's why our intentions are so important.

In other words, if you do something which we call 'bad', you don't get punished afterwards - that would leads to feuds. Of which we have enough. No, the answer is to recompense in a kind that the middle way is placed underfoot again. That we get back to balancing.

We live in a physical world, with physical laws. If I fall out of a tree and the motor saw cuts my right leg off, that's not Karma, it's a result of (amongst other things) the law of gravity and me not wearing chainmail trousers. How I later deal with this problem and the people I have to live with, then mirrors my attitude and my new condition.

Buddhism compares the continuation of Karma as that intrinsic tendency which is passed from one candle flame to another.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
Karma doesn't exist as a form of retribution.
I thought I was the only crazy person around here. Crazy because I don't believe in karma, not that kind anyway. May as well believe in a God who punishes sinners, no difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
Buddhism compares the continuation of Karma as that intrinsic tendency which is passed from one candle flame to another.
Simply brilliant. If you came up with that, patent it, that's gold.