Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 22-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Master
Hi Sarah,

You are so right about there being so much out there. While I agree there is nothing like having a teacher to help guide one along sometimes that is difficult to do.

Buddhism is really, really hard to do without a teacher within one of the lineages. Anyone can find a book on breath meditation or Calm abiding and start practicing. It is what one does after that is the question.

Practicing alone seems to be your course at the moment so I am going to throw out a couple of options for you.

The first is AYP. Advanced Yoga Practices. The first method is free, most of the lessons are free. Yogani now charges $10 a month for the system of practices and all the books. Not a bad price to be honest for a full system that is like TM and Kriya Yoga.

Next is Qigong. Qigong is very respected and the two systems I will link you to come highly recommended.

The first is Flying Phoenix Chi Kung. It is a DVD series and a lot of advanced practitioners that I know really recommend it. Lot's and lot's of information here. http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/1263...enix-chi-kung/

Next is Spring Forrest Qi Qong. Another highly recommended powerful system. Here is a link to the level 1 series https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...uV_SPZjr-mqEKV

Hope this helps,

Tom
Old 22-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane
Wow CSEe, you are way beyond my level of comprehension yet.
I am trying to be organic in my course, and I don't want to limit myself to a set of rules or adopt a faith because a 'teacher' whose name I plucked out of the air tells me I should.I do however want to experience what different people feel is their 'truth' so I wholeheartedly thank you for sharing yours. I am still at the very foundation of my 'truth' so am absorbing all the 'flavours' available so to speak.

Sorry in advance .....perhaps Buddhism is all about realizing your emotion ... about realizing your desire , your wanting , your attachment of views , your decision and your attachment on your decision .... perhaps Buddhism is all about you ......so if you keep on entertaining your desire , keep on focusing on current human culture of gaining knowledge perhaps you will just like washing clothing with muddy water and expect it to be clean........perhaps awaken to Buddhism one will never choose what to learn or who to learn from .......as one will never hold the mind .....by creating a goal or setting on a faith one will formed Buddhism into a kind of knowledge and as such one will travel longer and more suffering journey into own realization .
Old 22-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEe
Sorry in advance .....perhaps Buddhism is all about realizing your emotion ... about realizing your desire , your wanting , your attachment of views , your decision and your attachment on your decision .... perhaps Buddhism is all about you ......so if you keep on entertaining your desire , keep on focusing on current human culture of gaining knowledge perhaps you will just like washing clothing with muddy water and expect it to be clean........perhaps awaken to Buddhism one will never choose what to learn or who to learn from .......as one will never hold the mind .....by creating a goal or setting on a faith one will formed Buddhism into a kind of knowledge and as such one will travel longer and more suffering journey into own realization .

Or perhaps not
Old 22-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Newbie ;)

I admire the fact that you have come to your awakening without looking for guidance from anyone else. I have found that I love knowledge, even those things which don't feel 'true' to me personally. Maybe you see this as a transgression of the path that you have chosen, but it feels right to me at the moment. I feel that listening to how others explain their truths/beliefs/intuitions helps me listen more carefully to my own; sometimes I find myself nodding and at others I frown, but this journey is fascinating.
Thank you for your guidance on yoga jonesboy; I will investigate those areas.
Old 22-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEe

Buddism is about finding your own path, with or without a teacher, we are all different.

Doubt everything, find your own light.....The Buddha.
Old 22-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Master
Hi Sarah,

CSE and I are old friends. We have debated many times on various topics. It is not that he is not looking for someone. He believes that you don't need to do anything at all. That learning anything at all is wrong. He calls that Buddhism which is not an accepted view.

Awakening is just a phase, one step along the path. We all have teachers in life. You wouldn't want someone to build you a house without going to school. No different in spirituality. The trick is finding a real teacher.. so many fakes out there.

If you are not looking for one, that is okay. When you are ready you will find one.

All the best.
Old 22-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Buddism is about finding your own path, with or without a teacher, we are all different.

That made me smile. I don't need validation, but I got it right there. Thank you.
Old 22-02-2016, 05:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123

Here is why a teacher is so important

From Fake Buddha Quotes:

This one, “Doubt everything. Find your own light” was found on Facebook.

It’s in several books, mostly from the 21st century, although I’ve also found it in a 1991 book called “Armageddon the Musical,” by Robert Rankin, attributed to the Buddha. Unfortunately I don’t know where Rankin picked up the idea this was from the Buddha.

The Buddha’s last words were more like “Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!” He did, not long before his death, exhort his monks to be “islands (or lamps — the Pali is ambiguous) unto themselves,” which is (in the minority reading) not a million miles away from the them of “light.” But “doubt” was not a term that the Buddha used in a positive sense. Doubt was seen as one of the fetters binding us to samsara, and also as one of the hindrances preventing us from attaining meditative states.

http://fakebuddhaquotes.com/doubt-ev...our-own-light/
Old 22-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Newbie ;)

I see your point jonesboy. Personally though I don't think it really mattered to me who it was attributed to, I took it as a suggestion to not blindly believe what others say is true; it may be true to them but not necessarily to me. I am very aware that each of us will feel differently about each new (or old) concept we learn, and I guess I want to be open to that. This works for me at the present time, but I can see a time in the future when I find my way to a particular path and will need more rigorous guidance. I feel like a child in the secret garden...happily jumping in and around the various paths...but I know that once I have found one that feels right I will have to concentrate in order to progress and not get stuck at the awakening phase.
Old 22-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Master
Hi Sarah,

I agree, don't blindly follow anyone.

It is also important to understand what you are learning and what it really means. If you listen to somebody who doesn't really understand the meaning you will be lead off on the wrong path.

Take your time, find what fits but be careful of those people who tell you that traditions are bad or old. Most of those people haven't even researched what is known. They don't know what is taught. A lot of people just have issues with authority and think the Christian church is the same type of thing taught in the various Buddhist and Yoga traditions. Someone just telling you what to do or not do.

It isn't like that at all.

Good luck on your path.