Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 23-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
SOURCE....
Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh ordained 70 years ago.
I've read Thich Nhat Hanh books and never teach sunyata = nothingness.
Old 23-01-2016, 08:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulyo13
I've read Thich Nhat Hanh books and never teach sunyata = nothingness.

You will do one day

Nirvana = Nothingness=Void.

There is "No thingness " to be experienced in Zen Buddhism.
Old 23-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Master
Nothing is sacred in Zen:**it is a central theme, an essential concept in Zen thought. Yet it is not a concept, for there is no conceptualization in true Zen; and there is no Zen thought, for there is no thought in true Zen.**Nothing is, rather, something that is experienced and not merely conceptualized.**Yet nothing is no "thing" as all, for there is no "thing" to be experienced in Zen:**the experienced and the experiencer and the experiencing are all one and the same.*Sunyata, nothingness is the heart of Zen.

This might help you understand Mulyo
Some schools use emptiness, Zen uses nothingness.....
Old 24-01-2016, 04:36 AM
Knower

Quote:
You will do one day

Nirvana = Nothingness=Void.

There is "No thingness " to be experienced in Zen Buddhism.
I don't think so

Heart sutra (Prajnaparamita sutra) is one of the most important sutra in Chan/Zen/Seon, and teach emptiness not nothingness.

Quote:
Nothing is sacred in Zen:**it is a central theme, an essential concept in Zen thought. Yet it is not a concept, for there is no conceptualization in true Zen; and there is no Zen thought, for there is no thought in true Zen.**Nothing is, rather, something that is experienced and not merely conceptualized.**Yet nothing is no "thing" as all, for there is no "thing" to be experienced in Zen:**the experienced and the experiencer and the experiencing are all one and the same.*Sunyata, nothingness is the heart of Zen.

This might help you understand Mulyo
Some schools use emptiness, Zen uses nothingness.....
I do understand what you say and I'm not saying that you're right or wrong. You can define sunyata in words as you like, or maybe you have your own definition about nothingness, but common understanding/definition of nothingness is totally different with emptiness/sunyata.
I won't explain what is the differences in words, because there is limitation in words to explain what the actually is.

I'm also 101% sure Plum Village never teach sunyata = nothingness.
I'll send massage to Plum Village about 'sunyata = nothingness', so everything is clear. I'll post the update later.
Old 24-01-2016, 05:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Buddhism teach 'emptiness', not 'nothingness'. Emptiness/sunyata and nothingness is totally different.

In my current mind ,Buddhism is a process of realization not a gauge determination of knowledge ...as one attached to knowledge , one will always in circle of own confusion ........in my current mind , Buddhism is you realizing your own existence and the cause of your existence .......is what you realize not what you learn to know
Old 24-01-2016, 07:15 AM
Master
Quote:
I don't think so

Heart sutra (Prajnaparamita sutra) is one of the most important sutra in Chan/Zen/Seon, and teach emptiness not nothingness.

!
I do understand what you say and I'm not saying that you're right or wrong. You can define sunyata in words as you like, or maybe you have your own definition about nothingness, but common understanding/definition of nothingness is totally different with emptiness/sunyata.
I won't explain what is the differences in words, because there is limitation in words to explain what the actually is.p

I'll send massage to Plum Village about 'sunyata = nothingness', so everything is clear. I'll post the update later.

Mulyo, attachment to your " Sunyata " seems to be the problem....

I understand the difference between emptiness/nothingness but you can explain if you would like to.
Old 24-01-2016, 07:17 AM
Knower

Quote:
I asked my friend who is in the Plum village community, and he suggesting it's better to show a video at Youtube where Thich Nhat Hanh explaining about 'emptiness is not nothingness'.
Hope everything is clear _/\_

youtube[dot]com/watch?v=vA2c7ViZx-I

*My post is still below 15 and can't make direct link

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEe
In my current mind ,Buddhism is a process of realization not a gauge determination of knowledge ...as one attached to knowledge , one will always in circle of own confusion ........in my current mind , Buddhism is you realizing your own existence and the cause of your existence .......is what you realize not what you learn to know
In your current mind, 'a process of realization' it self is also a knowledge. It also can called as a concept, perception, thought,... etc. If we attached to it, it's fine, because it's not easy for not attached to it. It will need time and practice to not attached to it. The most important is, to realized if the self is attached to it. Because this is the first step of a journey. Theory, sutras, quotation,... etc is our guidance for not going to the wrong path.
Old 24-01-2016, 07:48 AM
Master
No one is saying that "emptiness" is the same as "nothingness " you seem to have misunderstood.

What I am saying is that the word " Sunyata " is used in Zen to mean "nothingness " but other schools use " Sunyata " as emptiness.

We are going around in circles, you are attached to your idea of " Sunyata " and I am trying to explain that different schools use different ways of teachings.

I will leave the conversation here.......no attachment
Old 24-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Knower

Quote:
No one is saying that "emptiness" is the same as "nothingness " you seem to have misunderstood.

What I am saying is that the word " Sunyata " is used in Zen to mean "nothingness " but other schools use " Sunyata " as emptiness.

We are going around in circles, you are attached to your idea of " Sunyata " and I am trying to explain that different schools use different ways of teachings.

I will leave the conversation here.......no attachment
Please watch again youtube[dot]com/watch?v=vA2c7ViZx-I
Thich Nhat Hanh him self said Sunyata = Emptiness.
I just want to make everything clear, Sunyata = Emptiness in Chan/Zen/Seon.
Old 24-01-2016, 09:25 AM
Master
You said I quote " In your current mind, 'a process of realization' it self is also a knowledge. It also can called as a concept, perception, thought,... etc. If we attached to it, it's fine, because it's not easy for not attached to it. It will need time and practice to not attached to it. The most important is, to realized if the self is attached to it. Because this is the first step of a journey. Theory, sutras, quotation,... etc is our guidance for not going to the wrong path." Un-quote

I could not agree with you mostly , but in my current mind , PERHAPS as one awaken to Buddhism , one is no longer holding on to the mind ...one realized the mind is constantly travelling in a natural process of Buddhism ...one will awakening to the mind but if one has accepted anything as a guide ...one is still holding on to the mind itself and this is leading one to longer journey into realization ...and suffering is the nature of this journey