Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 30-04-2017, 11:55 PM
Hi, Still Waters,
I wonder if some research would be of interest to you on
the words Sat Nam...sometimes Sat Naam...and still again sometimes
Naam...see what you come up with.
Keeping in mind...the Creator's Name would have been before humans...before
the thought of a tongue or a voice box...it is not
exactly what you would call pronounceable ...in fact, It is
often phrased as 'the unspeakable Name of God'.
You will find your research fun...it will be different than the
western or biblical approach...but then again with more study
the parallels will become obvious.

Also, of interest to this topic...why would it be so important to include in the 10 Commandments:
Do not take thy Lord God's name in vain...
or
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain....
or
Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Ex 20:7-KJV

So, what is that Name? Are we in danger of taking the Name YWHW or Jehovah in vain...I think not...so then, what is this Holy Name or
Sat Nam, the True Name...that is to be so hallowed?
Indeed, it is unspeakable with the human tongue and way before a pen and paper and letters!
And while you are at it...what exactly is the Word?...that was in the beginning....Tom is a word...it is also a name...it is
also a sound...just to give you something to consider that most do not.

Let us know what you come up with.

What is 'I Am' in French, in Yiddish...
wouldn't God's Name be One Name...the Universal Name of our Creator God? The same in any language, on any planet,
any dimension...to a fish, to a bird, to a human, to an alien from another world? One Name...the One that was in the beginning
and always was...always will be?
THIS is why It is to be hallowed.
Another thought for your quest.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 01-05-2017, 04:11 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47
God told Moses his personal name=YHWH(Jehovah) -- that name belongs in every spot of the OT, where-GOD or LORD, all capitols is. Wicked men removed it, they had no right. Those who love God--put it back where it belongs. The ones who would not put it back, say that name doesn't belong in the NT--They are full of it--The OT is quoted in the NT where that name belongs.
My name is Peter. In various parts of the world it would be different.
* Albanian: Pjetër
* Amaric: P.et.ros
* Arabic: بطرس (Boutros)
* Armenian: Պետրոս (Bedros in Western dialect, Petros in Eastern dialect)
* Belarusian: Пётра (Piotra) and Пятро (Piatro)
* Bulgarian: Петър (Peter)
* Catalan: Pere
* Chinese: 彼得
* Cornish: Peder
* Czech: Petr
* Danish: Peter, Per, Peder
* Dutch: Peter, Pieter, Piet
* Estonian: Peeter
* Finnish: Pietari, Pekka, Petri, Petteri
* French: Pierre
* German: Peter
* Greek: Πέτρος (Pronounced Petros)
* Hindi: Pathrus
* Hebrew : פטר (Peter)
* Hungarian: Péter
* Icelandic: Pétur
* Irish: Peadar
* Italian: Pietro, Piero
* Korean: 베드로 (Bedeuro; or, less commonly, 페트루스; Peteuruseu), 피터 (Piteo)
* Japanese: ピーター (Piitaa), and in Biblical contexts ペトロ (Petoro), ペテロ (Petero), or ペトロス (Petorosu)
* Latin: Petrus
* Latvian: Pēteris
* Maltese: Pietru
* Polish: Piotr, Piotrek (equivalent to Pete), Piotruś (diminutive)
* Portuguese: Pedro
* Romanian: Petru
* Russian: Пётр (Pyotr), Петя
* Scandinavian languages: Per, Pär, Peer (archaic), Peder, Petter, Peter
* Serbo-Croatian: Петар (Petar)
* Slovakian: Peter
* Spanish: Pedro
* Tamil: Raayappar (Note: Refers to biblical Peter, not a common name)
* Ukrainian: Петро (Petro)
* Welsh: Pedr

I have given up long ago that people can pronounce my surname as in the country where I was born.

Really, who cares?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:48 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Sat Nam...sometimes Sat Naam
This is from Sikhism. I was listening to a religious song of Sikhism in which they were glorifying taking/speaking name of "Hari". "Hari" refers to Vishnu and Krishna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
in the 10 Commandments:
Do not take thy Lord God's name in vain...
or
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain....
or
Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Ex 20:7-KJV

There is a quote attributed to Neem Karoli Baba which i think is different from the above, the quote is:
"Constant repetition of God's name, even without feelings of devotion, in anger or lethargy, brings out his grace."

Also i read a story something like in summary:
Baba was asked that is it okay to chant God's name if one doesn't feel devotion when chanting, to which Baba replied that something is better than nothing.

If anyone wants i can try pulling the exact quote, but am not promising.

Another quote attributed to Neem Karoli Baba, copy-pasting from a source:
"Ram's form left this world, Krishna's form left this world, but the name stays. By reciting his name, everything is achieved." Shaking his head, he reiterated, "Everything is achieved."
Old 01-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Since you are a Hebrew expert--tell the world what--YHWH-OR YHVH translates then--

If you want a translation - not a transliteration - basically the tetragrammaton, Yod, Hey, Vav, Hey - which is an archaic third person singular form of the verb "to be" - translates as "He will be."
Old 01-05-2017, 08:53 PM
kjw47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
If you want a translation - not a transliteration - basically the tetragrammaton, Yod, Hey, Vav, Hey - which is an archaic third person singular form of the verb "to be" - translates as "He will be."

Yet it is still our creators personal name--In Hebrew it is as you say. We don't speak Hebrew thus use--Jeremiah, Job, Joshua, etc---Jehovah is our creators name.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:55 PM
kjw47

Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
My name is Peter. In various parts of the world it would be different.
* Albanian: Pjetër
* Amaric: P.et.ros
* Arabic: بطرس (Boutros)
* Armenian: Պետրոս (Bedros in Western dialect, Petros in Eastern dialect)
* Belarusian: Пётра (Piotra) and Пятро (Piatro)
* Bulgarian: Петър (Peter)
* Catalan: Pere
* Chinese: 彼得
* Cornish: Peder
* Czech: Petr
* Danish: Peter, Per, Peder
* Dutch: Peter, Pieter, Piet
* Estonian: Peeter
* Finnish: Pietari, Pekka, Petri, Petteri
* French: Pierre
* German: Peter
* Greek: Πέτρος (Pronounced Petros)
* Hindi: Pathrus
* Hebrew : פטר (Peter)
* Hungarian: Péter
* Icelandic: Pétur
* Irish: Peadar
* Italian: Pietro, Piero
* Korean: 베드로 (Bedeuro; or, less commonly, 페트루스; Peteuruseu), 피터 (Piteo)
* Japanese: ピーター (Piitaa), and in Biblical contexts ペトロ (Petoro), ペテロ (Petero), or ペトロス (Petorosu)
* Latin: Petrus
* Latvian: Pēteris
* Maltese: Pietru
* Polish: Piotr, Piotrek (equivalent to Pete), Piotruś (diminutive)
* Portuguese: Pedro
* Romanian: Petru
* Russian: Пётр (Pyotr), Петя
* Scandinavian languages: Per, Pär, Peer (archaic), Peder, Petter, Peter
* Serbo-Croatian: Петар (Petar)
* Slovakian: Peter
* Spanish: Pedro
* Tamil: Raayappar (Note: Refers to biblical Peter, not a common name)
* Ukrainian: Петро (Petro)
* Welsh: Pedr

I have given up long ago that people can pronounce my surname as in the country where I was born.

Really, who cares?

Your name has no comparison to our creators name. His name is one of a kind.
Jesus cared--Hallowed be thy name= very important--as well John 17:6,26--Jesus promised to keep making Gods name known.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:52 AM
Guide

Quote:
Your name has no comparison to our creators name. His name is one of a kind.
Jesus cared--Hallowed be thy name= very important--as well John 17:6,26--Jesus promised to keep making Gods name known.
His name, as we use it, is just a name, like any other name. Nothing special.

If you would really belief that his name is hallowed you wouldn't argue about what it is or should be and try to correct others, which is trampling all over it figuratively speaking.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:37 AM
kjw47

Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
His name, as we use it, is just a name, like any other name. Nothing special.

If you would really belief that his name is hallowed you wouldn't argue about what it is or should be and try to correct others, which is trampling all over it figuratively speaking.

Let your name be sanctified is a better way for that passage to be read. Gods name was trampled on in Eden.
God inspired his word the bible--HE put his name in the ot in nearly 6800 spots--wicked men who had no right, removed that name and replaced it with--GOD--LORD. all capitols)--God wants his name known and used--just not in vain.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Guide

Quote:
Let your name be sanctified is a better way for that passage to be read. Gods name was trampled on in Eden.
God inspired his word the bible--HE put his name in the ot in nearly 6800 spots--wicked men who had no right, removed that name and replaced it with--GOD--LORD. all capitols)--God wants his name known and used--just not in vain.
There isn't much point to talk with you about the process and value of labeling and naming, is there?
Old 02-05-2017, 04:39 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Yet it is still our creators personal name--In Hebrew it is as you say. We don't speak Hebrew thus use--Jeremiah, Job, Joshua, etc---Jehovah is our creators name.

The only way in a translation to leave the tetragrammaton in is to leave it in Hebrew letters without translating it at all. While there are many scholars who believe that it was pronounced in a certain way in Hebrew, that pronunciation remains only an educated guess.

As for Jehovah, it is not a real name, it is a fabrication based upon a non-Jewish misunderstanding. In printed material that contains vowels, the vowels for Adonai are imposed upon the tetragrammaton as reminder to substitute/read Adonai where the tetragrammaton appears. Those vowels if articulated with the letters result in Yehovah, which is not a correct pronunciation, which then Latinized erroneously winds up as Jehovah. For that reason inserting Jehovah into a translation really makes little sense.

You might as well put "Lawrence" or "Elmer". It would be the same thing.