Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 17-02-2015, 08:17 AM
alhambra

Does consciousness need a brain.

I watched a talk given by Dr Bruce Grayson in which a few Buddhist Monks participated by asking him questions. I have always believed consciousness exist,s outside of the brain but was shocked to learn that some people can function normally with no brain or very little brain at all and that lots of these people have very high IQ,s. I have followed the Mind and Life Institute dialogues with the Dalai Lama which are very interesting but have never heard of people with no brain or very little who can function normally. Can anyone recommend other talks regarding this subject please.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:58 PM
SnufflexD

Naw the brain is just a race track for electronic signal and those thing and EVERYWHERE!!!
Im starting to think consciosness could be like a rubberband that stores energy as information.
But the brain being necissary is equally as likely seeing as you cant prove anything.

I think either way the brain is probly a good tool even if it is just a metaphore I mean if you take drugs your probly gonna feel the effects.
Old 15-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Ascender

I feel like brains are a development of conciousness. The form needs a brain to perceive an individualized perspective of conciousness, but conciousness does not require the form or brain to exist for it's own continuation. But it does require the brain to continue within its given form. The physical brain is the physical bodies conciousness translator. Perhaps it's a bit like the internet. The computer isn't the internet, it's the tool you need to access it from this physical reality.
Old 31-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Newbie ;)

actually, brain doesn't determine the consciousness, it works out of consciousness. the degree of consciousness is determined by in which extent we or consciousness indulge into mind. the culture of being intelligent that is our assumption of judging our superiority through the eyes of logistic approach is primarily responsible for trending our self into mind.
Old 31-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Newbie ;)

actually, brain doesn't determine the consciousness, it works out of consciousness. the degree of consciousness is determined by in which extent we or consciousness indulge into mind. the culture of being intelligent that is our assumption of judging our superiority through the eyes of logistic approach is primarily responsible for trending our self into mind.
Old 31-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Master
It follows Descartes' meditation that supposed that there were no senses...
Old 22-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Master
PERHAPS as one awaken to Buddhism , one realized is always his desire to find answer ...and is always his emotion and awaken to this , one will free of emotion of finding answer as one free of emotion on questioning ... awaken to Buddhism , questioning will stop .
Old 02-06-2016, 03:14 AM
Pathfinder

We need a brain to have a mind. The mind can be described as the workings of the brain. But none of this has anything to do w/ what us Zen people call Big Mind, or ultimate reality. You can't think your way to it either. Consciousness is just a word, and as such is not important in Buddhism. That's the irony, that Buddhism is a very simple, practical (and difficult) discipline designed to lead us to potentially experience that ultimate reality, which is not intellectual at all, but this discipline attracts intellectuals. Probably because we finally realized that intellectualism doesn't get us anywhere or anything but more suffering. As one Buddhist put it to me when I was at the Dharma Rain Zen Center in Portland, "we all had to give up a lot of stuff in order to be here in this zendo right now".
Old 02-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Suspended
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhambra
I watched a talk given by Dr Bruce Grayson in which a few Buddhist Monks participated by asking him questions. I have always believed consciousness exist,s outside of the brain but was shocked to learn that some people can function normally with no brain or very little brain at all and that lots of these people have very high IQ,s. I have followed the Mind and Life Institute dialogues with the Dalai Lama which are very interesting but have never heard of people with no brain or very little who can function normally. Can anyone recommend other talks regarding this subject please.

For your information and it's an advanced thinking or consciousness can be" placed"outside our body may be in the air or in the universe. Because conciousness is a piece of feedback or can be connected from outside with your brain. Third egesight is the" tool/techniques" to assess the access view. And it also can acting as an singular consciousness of you.

You can also divide your thought into more than one thought and think numerously things at the same time. You have to practice it before it can work.

The way to think is not exactly using Brian but with other factors. Spirit is thinking by the whole body system as one thought. So is we think by our spirit/soul that is as one thought . If our spirit is lacking of something that may result in slow in thinking or become not clever.
Old 18-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Guide

I think no, and people who do astral projections and had NDEs can confirm this.