Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 14-05-2011, 06:48 PM
The Sacred Flea

I'm Not Scared of Death, but What Lies After

I just can't comprehend non-existence after death; it scares me. My worst fear. In my opinion, eternal damnation is better than nothingness. No thoughts. Nothing.

I believe the universe has a purpose for everything. If we're here on planet Earth for 80 years (and that's if we're lucky) and then we just die, what's the point of being here in the first place? "To Procreate" I hear you say? Well, why does the survival of our species matter at all if we will all inevitably die and thus, cease to exist? It wouldn't matter if our species endured for billions of years, or we became extinct tomorrow. Either way, we're doomed, and absolutely nothing would have been achieved. The universe would continue just as before, which means we have achieved nothing in our time in it; and thus, it means we had no purpose.

It's such a depressing thought I feel like crying. To think that everyone I meet, everything I smell, touch; see, and experience will all be forgotten at death. I'm only 15 and I know I shouldn't be worrying about these things, as I (hopefully) have many, many years ahead of me, and it's not relevant at this point in my life. I still can't help it; it's my nature. It's got to such an extent that it's plagued my mind. I'm constantly reminding myself of how anything I do, I'll forget with death. I'll return to the state in which I was in before birth.

My father's a medium (or used to be, anyway) and says he'd bet his life on the fact that there's something after death. He claimed to of seen 'proof' of the fact. For example, he claims of to have seen a table lift itself off the ground. I don't know if that's possible, but I'd need to see it for myself to believe it. He claims to have talked to an old lady's spirit guide. He asked him question through the mind, and the guide answered.

Such as: "Is there life on other planets?"

In which he replied: "Don't you think we have enough problems on this planet, to be worrying about other planets?"

I really don't know the reason I made this thread. I just guess that I can only hope my consciousness will live on after death. There's nothing more I can do; it's out of my hands.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by The Sacred Flea : 14-05-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 14-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Pathfinder

One thing I would say to you is that if consciousness ceases upon death (which I do not believe is the case) you would not be aware because you would simply not be. Right now, you are only thinking because you are here.

I totally beleive that most people are trying to connect with God/Source/Universe...whatever you want to describe it as in whatever way makes sense to them and feels right for their own journey.

I see this thread getting very popular. My advice without offending anyone out there is to take what resonates with your heart and soul. Don't soak it all in like a sponge where you become flooded with too many different concepts and beliefs.

To be honest, No one really knows for certain. It is just our human minds that seek peace and comfort and so we create a spiritual journey. I personally know mediums and those that are very intuitive. There is a lot out there beyond our human eyes. Finding your spiritual identity is a frigthening journey in which you unload your ego of many burdens. Easier for some and harder for others...From what I have seen, the more you have been conditioned, the harder it is to know who you really are because what you feel is right is at war with what you have been taught.
Old 14-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Prokopton

Quote:
I just can't comprehend non-existence after death

Well NDE research suggest not bothering to try for my money.
Old 14-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Master
Dear Sacred Flea,
your post brought to mind the fact that when my mom would work in her huge flower garden, there were annuals and perrenials. Annuals have to be planted every year, if you want petunias or something like that. Other flowers come up every year after a dormant wintertime period. I see humans like the perrenials, we are reborn and I have sensed the invisible spirit since I was very young. Doesn't prove anything, but we humans enjoy the flowers, whether they are annuals or perrenials. Some other entity or entities maybe even just each other and our spirits enjoy watching the dramas of our lives play out, maybe it's all just for entertainment, but I think it defo goes beyond that, to touch our hearts, something warm and satisfying to feel one another's feelings and thoughts. All the other creatures play along with this cycle w/o complaint (?) I say accept it with the icing on the cake, that we can empathize and think about all this stuff in life. Idk...

Old 14-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Scibat

Flea you have EXACTLY the same fear as me, when I read your post it sounded nearly identical to my own thoughts regarding death. What I have been doing, is my own research on the afterlife (if it exists) and seeking an answer one way or the other so at least I can be done with the fear.

A good website that got me started is:

http://www.near-death.com/

If you are of a more scientific bent like me, look up Dr. Dean Radin and watch his YouTube videos. Also a good documentary to see is: The Quantum Activitist

If I can be of any further help, feel free to PM me.
Old 14-05-2011, 10:06 PM
The Sacred Flea

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibat
Flea you have EXACTLY the same fear as me, when I read your post it sounded nearly identical to my own thoughts regarding death. What I have been doing, is my own research on the afterlife (if it exists) and seeking an answer one way or the other so at least I can be done with the fear.

If you are of a more scientific bent like me, look up Dr. Dean Radin and watch his YouTube videos. Also a good documentary to see is: The Quantum Activitist

If I can be of any further help, feel free to PM me.

Thank you for you help and support. All of you. And Scibat, I'll keep the things you mentioned in mind. Dr. Dean Radin... got it. Oh, and I am more of a scientific type of person, that's why I'm finding so hard to wrap my head around an afterlife. What's the difference between me dying, and a single-celled organism? Would we go to the same place? Would the organsim retain the same intelligence level as it did in life? So many question, and the universe tries its best to keep the answers hidden...
Old 14-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Prokopton

The point of people like Dean Radin -- and many more BTW who have investigated post-death and near-death experience -- is that they are scientific. Of course we don't have all the answers scientifically laid out, but we certainly have enough to warrant some people being convinced there is an afterlife on the evidence alone (no experience of any kind.)

One such is Alex Tsakiris who runs the "Skeptiko" podcast and has featured many interviews with researchers into NDE. I'm sure you'd enjoy some of his back catalogue, check it out.
Old 15-05-2011, 09:01 PM
bionic

I don't know. I'm not afraid of death or what is going to occur afterwards. I honestly believe that all spirits get recycled. I'm a firm believer in reincarnation. I've had so many dreams about my past life that I find it hard to believe it doesn't occur. In fact, I'm starting to have dreams about my life after this one so I don't really believe that life will ever end. I met my past spiritual life husband a few months ago and it almost occurred in us dating in this life. Unfortunately, despite our strong, deep, and passionate connection - We both understood that we could never be together in this plane. Although we both wish we could, sometimes what was meant to be in the past was not meant to be in the present.

As Alister Crowley always says: "As above, so below".
Old 17-05-2011, 05:30 PM
tehuti

If u really want to kno wats in the darkness. Sit down, close ur eyes, and breathe slow. Quiet ur mind and go into the darkness. If u can do this and make friends with the darkness, seek that which grows through the manure. There once was a science that existed that would allow a student to perfect this lost skill...
Old 17-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Guide
If there is nothing after death, then I would think making life the best you can would be a great goal.. My grandfather always said, you only live once! If you're worried about nothingness, then it will seem unwelcoming and dark. I don't think worrying about what lies after life is really important, after all, we are here and in a pretty strange experience. We've barely got life figured out, and some of us are trying to get a grip on death. I just don't think it's feasible.

Don't take for granted the people you meet, the love you share, and the ups and downs of life right now. It's important, you grow as a human and true happiness is yours for the taking. Death is inevitable and sometimes scary but so is life; you'll be just fine, you're walking with the rest of the human race that is just as confused as you.. On the surface it may not seem that way, but I believe everyone is the same in the respect that we just don't know. So chill out. Your life has meaning.

You said it yourself, it's out of your hands.