Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-03-2017, 03:48 AM
markings markings is offline
Guide
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 594
 
I have a friend whose nephew had an anger problem at school. They diverted him into some hardcore martial arts training. Today, a few years later he is the world champion in his discipline and his family is very proud of him and the person he had become.
That is an example of the effectiveness of a training and practice. Making a real and measurable change in people's life.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-03-2017, 04:33 AM
Ground Ground is offline
Suspended
Ascender
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 994
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
I have a friend whose nephew had an anger problem at school. They diverted him into some hardcore martial arts training. Today, a few years later he is the world champion in his discipline and his family is very proud of him and the person he had become.
That is an example of the effectiveness of a training and practice. Making a real and measurable change in people's life.
Actually that does not appear to be 'a real change'. People are like this, aren't they?

Basically it is about doing ... there is time and this time may be spent with doing something. If first one did this and then one is doing that then there is change. So whatever one did before one started to meditate one will do something different when meditating. 'doing something different when meditating' may be called 'change', right? And it is measurable, too.
Now what is real change? The way you are applying the word 'real' seems to express merely your personal preference. There are as many personal preferences as there are people.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-03-2017, 07:40 AM
markings markings is offline
Guide
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 594
 
Real change is when something changes in everyday life, outside the training, be that martial arts, meditation, journaling, prayer, or whatever one's practice is.
If it doesn't make us better every day human beings in some way what is the point of a practice?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-03-2017, 08:23 AM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 7,230
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
Real change is when something changes in everyday life, outside the training, be that martial arts, meditation, journaling, prayer, or whatever one's practice is.
If it doesn't make us better every day human beings in some way what is the point of a practice?


Expectations are the antithesis of meditation, the less you expect the more you gain.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-03-2017, 08:57 AM
markings markings is offline
Guide
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 594
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Expectations are the antithesis of meditation, the less you expect the more you gain.
Specific expectations yes. General expectations as I have formulated it no.

How much time do you spend on your activity without absolutely no expectation whatsoever?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Ground Ground is offline
Suspended
Ascender
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 994
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
If it doesn't make us better every day human beings in some way what is the point of a practice?
I leave the purpose of your practice up to you
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-03-2017, 09:28 AM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 7,230
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
Specific expectations yes. General expectations as I have formulated it no.

How much time do you spend on your activity without absolutely no expectation whatsoever?

I expect nothing, it's enough to want to do something without wanting something in return.
If you expect something you open yourself up to disappointment, best to try and if you get some results thats a bonus
But of course we are all different.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-03-2017, 12:40 PM
markings markings is offline
Guide
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 594
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I expect nothing, it's enough to want to do something without wanting something in return.
If you expect something you open yourself up to disappointment, best to try and if you get some results thats a bonus
But of course we are all different.
We know from psychology that everything we do, everything, we only do because there is a payoff.
You can deny this. I suggest you meditate on it.
You might get a result.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-03-2017, 12:42 PM
markings markings is offline
Guide
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 594
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
I leave the purpose of your practice up to you
Sure, the standard new age evasion to sit on the fence and not to commit - not even yourself.
Is it any wonder that there are no visible benefits?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-03-2017, 12:52 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 7,230
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
We know from psychology that everything we do, everything, we only do because there is a payoff.
You can deny this. I suggest you meditate on it.
You might get a result.


Not true....
Use the mind of possibilities instead of the mind of expectations

Buddha calls the expectation mind the ' Wanting mind ' you can meditate on that also..
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums