Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 26-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Seeker

Question Trouble with silencing my mind while meditating...

Hi, I meditate, with like a year break, for about 4 years. I try to focus on a mantra, but the mind uses every opportunity to disturb the silence in between the chanted mantras(i say them mentally actually). Sometimes it seems like I can sense the silence underlying the whole area of my mind, but can't quite get there. Any ideas how could I improve my practice? All help will be greatly apprieciated.
Old 26-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Surfer
Hi, I meditate, ...
I'd suggest starting with a physical relaxation routine, like in self-hypnosis.
Old 26-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Hi, I meditate, with like a year break, for about 4 years. I try to focus on a mantra, but the mind uses every opportunity to disturb the silence in between the chanted mantras(i say them mentally actually). Sometimes it seems like I can sense the silence underlying the whole area of my mind, but can't quite get there. Any ideas how could I improve my practice? All help will be greatly apprieciated.

Hi Soul_Surfer

What you describe is par for the course for all spiritual meditation.

In Buddhism, they call it "monkey mind". For years or possibly aeons, the mind has been running rampant at its will. It is not going to take a day or a month or even a year for it to be fundamentally in silence, at your will.

I do not know what system of meditation technique you are working under, but my opinion is the most important thing is just to continue it with no expectations or requirements per se.

It's like building a muscle, every day you do a curl up (or ten) and those repetitions don't seem to be doing much. But intrinsically, something is working.

This is also how meditation works. It's best at this time to not read too much about other peoples' experiences or opinions {including my own!} and take it with a spacious, patient frame of mind.

As you would cultivate a plant, you do your part (watering, seeding, sun and shade) and allow/trust in nature to do its part.

What is valuable, is that you are planting a seed, and it will blossom under your diligent and above all patient eye.

shiningstars
Old 26-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Sometimes it seems like I can sense the silence underlying the whole area of my mind, but can't quite get there.
you (!!) will never get 'there' and what you sense isn't 'it'. Just drop meditation as you drop 'getting there', sensing and yourself.
Old 26-02-2017, 10:07 PM
Newbie ;)

Let go of having a destination while meditating, accept the noise without being swept away by it. For me, once I stopped grappling with my mind, it eventually silenced itself.
Old 26-02-2017, 11:17 PM
Seeker

So a little update...today when I was meditating (while saying mantra in my mind) for a brief moment I lost a sense of where I was (and I haven't fall asleep). I don't know how else to call it, when I came back to my senses I had to remind myself I'm still in my room. It's a first time ever something like that happened to me. So I guess there is some progress in my practice after all. Apparently patience is the key ;D
Old 27-02-2017, 12:01 AM
Suspended
Experiencer

Progress isn't marked by anything in particular...resist the urge to name and grasp afterwards...perserverence furthers.

Soul_Surfer

shiningstars
Old 27-02-2017, 01:45 AM
Master
Fish

Quote:
So a little update...today when I was meditating (while saying mantra in my mind) for a brief moment I lost a sense of where I was (and I haven't fall asleep). I don't know how else to call it, when I came back to my senses I had to remind myself I'm still in my room. It's a first time ever something like that happened to me. So I guess there is some progress in my practice after all. Apparently patience is the key ;D

Soul Surfer,

I don't know if this is silence, it could also be drifting off into a little trance. Silence is when the mind stops, even the breath stops, one is aware of awareness, and that "I am not mind". One remains aware not lost in a trance.

Since you like to use chanting and mantra, you might be interested in following the retreat that is starting in March. I am reactivating my thread about it and giving all links http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...&postcount=229

Since that's a month away, I'll share what I know about chanting and mantra. Chanting works best for me when done in group. It opens the heart chakra, but of course all chakras can be involved in it. It has the effect of building excitement in the energy field and raising the vibration (not unlike the power of an excited crowd at a football stadium - only more powerful). When the chanting stops then the mind, being overwhelmed naturally quiets and it's easy to just slip into meditation.

With mantra, there are stages to mantra repetition that can take us deeper. First repeating it but not like a parrot, but with focus and feeling like each syllable is liquid gold, like it's your first time. And also repeating it throughout the day, not just in sitting meditation. This is the gross stage. Then, just like an advertising jingle, it comes up like that song you can't get out of your head, automatically. This is the second stage, the astral. In meditation we try to pass this stage by observing the energy that is pushing this mantra up automatically - something is there pushing it, making it come up. This takes us deeper. And when we discover the source of that, we enter into a kind of bliss. That's the causal field. And beyond energy is a stage called turyia - it is the transcendental witness. That is the goal, where we enter into its consciousness, where we become one with it. That requires the greatest surrender. Usually if we make it to bliss we're really happy, and tend to stay with the bliss. And transcendence also involves grace and timing. But to be able to reach bliss this way is fantastic meditation practice.

Hope this helps. I wish you all luck with it.
Old 27-02-2017, 05:03 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanzennist
Let go of having a destination while meditating, accept the noise without being swept away by it. For me, once I stopped grappling with my mind, it eventually silenced itself.

agree 100%. allow your mind to naturally take you someplace once you have blocked out thoughts. calm, cool and collected leads to meaningful meditation...
Old 27-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Huike said to Bodhidharma, “Please pacify my mind.”
Bodhidharma replied, “Bring me your mind, and I will pacify it.”
Huike said, “Although I’ve sought it, I cannot find it.”
“There,” Bodhidharma replied, “I have pacified your mind.”