Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Closed Thread

Old 13-10-2019, 04:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Why did God condone and order such terrible acts of violence found in the OT? If some believe the Bible to be the ' Word of God ' then you have to believe God was as guilty as the perpetrators or even worse....

A Teenager asked me this question and I answered in my own personal opinion that the OT is not the ' Word of God ' which of course led to more questions and an never-ending conversation which I bowed out off and advised them to do some contemplating....
I suspect such accounts as the two creation accounts, the two flood accounts, etc. were written in a style that would later be improved on and then used in the Talmud. If I am right, then those accounts are only opinions which makes sense.

If you look at the first creation account, Genesis 1:1 to Genesis 2:3, the English Bibles use the expression God whereas in Hebrew, the word is transliterated as Elohim. Then in Genesis 2:4, LORD is used in English but in Hebrew, the word is commonly transliterated as Yahweh. In English, it appears only one person was writing the text, but in Hebrew, it appears that several people were writing using expressions common to each writer.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 13-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The bible says the Canaanites were wiped out by the Israelites but scientists just found their descendants living in Lebanon.

‘You shall not leave alive anything that breathes. But you shall utterly destroy them’

Well ' God ' got that wrong..... thankfully.
Scientists claim the Neanderthal Man disappeared a long time ago but claim some of us,
have up to 4% of their DNA. Is that what happened to the Canaanites' descendants?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 13-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Master

You don't like Christianity, don't follow Christianity!

Have you found something better? Then follow that!

Best: don't follow anybody else, just your inner wisdom. Try to find it!

Whining about what others do or say won't take you ahead, for sure.

Why open a thread like this on a forum reserved for Christians? Lack of respect won't take you ahead either.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 13-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan

Why open a thread like this on a forum reserved for Christians? Lack of respect won't take you ahead either.

Never heard about freedom of speech? This isn't a ''christians only'' resort of any kind, and all religion and belief systems should be allowed to be criticised, the same way Christians criticise homosexuality and atheists. Cheers...
Old 13-10-2019, 08:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan

Yes I understand that the truth can hurt, but the violence is there for all to read and being truthful has very little to do with likes or dislikes, it is as it is even if you and others find it disrespectful. I personally find it is very disrespectful to God to even think they are his words.... but to each their own.
Old 13-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Master
Inavalan, I've noticed a few times now of you trying to police threads. What are you afraid of.
Old 13-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
Never heard about freedom of speech? This isn't a ''christians only'' resort of any kind, and all religion and belief systems should be allowed to be criticised, the same way Christians criticise homosexuality and atheists. Cheers...
Try screaming "FIRE" in a theater....

Old 13-10-2019, 10:15 PM
Master

Quote:

Yes, on the other hand when people take these verses and use them as a tool against a belief system they disagree with it's a full frontal attack and hardly surprising results in some opposition, suck it up!
BTW I have no belief violence in the OT or any religion is true about God and its good to question it
Old 13-10-2019, 10:33 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
Yes, on the other hand when people take these verses and use them as a tool against a belief system they disagree with it's a full frontal attack and hardly surprising results in some opposition, suck it up!
BTW I have no belief violence in the OT or any religion is true about God and its good to question it

Then we agree, don't we...? There's no ''attacking'' here, I think this thread brings up very relevant issues in the bible that need to be mentioned. Fact is, the type of God which the bible promotes is awful and no amount of whitewashing is going to change that. Even many non-religious spiritual people try to do the same thing with the bible, only read what they want to read and interpret it in their own way based on wishful thinking. Well in that case, I might as well interpret Mein Kampf the way I see fit and promote it as a good book while glossing over it's true original intentions.
Old 14-10-2019, 12:02 AM
Master

Quote:
Then we agree, don't we...? There's no ''attacking'' here, I think this thread brings up very relevant issues in the bible that need to be mentioned. Fact is, the type of God which the bible promotes is awful and no amount of whitewashing is going to change that. Even many non-religious spiritual people try to do the same thing with the bible, only read what they want to read and interpret it in their own way based on wishful thinking. Well in that case, I might as well interpret Mein Kampf the way I see fit and promote it as a good book while glossing over it's true original intentions.

We agree. I'm not trying to defend the indefensible in any way, it's just that you will find many individual people in religion using scriptures containing violence who are non-violent and peaceable, who probably rarely read the violent parts and have some way to rationalise them. and there are many ways to rationalise them. You're never going to make those violent parts go away except by promoting the other parts of scripture that reflect a better day at the scribes office, so I don't understand the continued threads like this one. Everyone knows and has read those verses a 1000 times and got their own way of dealing with it, its not like it is new information
The average kids bible story book for 5 year olds gets the tone right and shows God in a positive light, we like to tell our kids the truth before they are old enough to get lied to. what's the problem with that?
Closed Thread