Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 24-02-2018, 10:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Hey stranger

We've talked about this before in our innate ramblings.

You reality is defined by your perceptions, your perceptions are defined by your beliefs and your beliefs are defined by your definitions. The mainstream definition of 'ego' seems to be that it's the root of all evil and should be cast out with the aid of a plastic fork at all costs. Very simply Jung defines it as the 'information central' of our consciousness, which handles everything we process from information to emotions, perceptions... Spirituality..... It's the point of origin for our existential experience, essentially, and gives us a framework of perspective that without, we'd go bonkers. Ego simply gives us a reference point so we can be 'here' and see 'there'. In some religious practices there's the dissolution of the ego but there's always a sense of 'I Am' even in that process.

I had a discussion with someone who was trying to define various stages of ego, self, Self.... but ironically the discussion was becoming more and more like the definition of ego she was trying to set herself against.

I Am is only limited by what you can think of I Am as being, and when you think about is as merely being a place where you put your feet everything looks differently. You even have the choice of whether to put your feet there or realise you have no feet, and everywhere is.

With all of the wise words spouted in the forum, nobody is listening to themselves - http://www.gestaltreality.com/2013/0...ensional-self/
We are multi-dimensional after all. Perhaps we should start using the word 'entity', and should I look out my floppy hat and flowery dress that makes my hairy legs so elegant?

Hey there,

Well more rambling

Lol, if I put on a floppy hat and flowery dress, well let's just say if I did the looks I would get would be priceless. Guess it is the ol' bandana and faded jeans for me.

True, it seems some get so busy talking, that it gets forgotten to listen and no one knows oneself better then oneself. Isn't this what all this is about, getting to know one self?

Find it interesting when going through discussions about ego how it tends to intertwine between the psychological aspect and the spiritual aspects. Some manage to point out similarities, but feel the two take different paths. Which at times can be a bit confusing, unless clarified. Find both interesting.

For me, as stated before and by others it seems to be how one thinks it to be.
Agree, can not "kill" the ego for it is part of how one relates to things and others.
For me it is paying attention to what each aspect may bring. What is referred to as "ego" can be distracting if over thought about, IMO.

Sure, depends upon where one is. I Am is just being with all it may entail, IMO.

To me, it can be like being in a crowded room and trying to hear a whisper with in the chatter. Need to step out of the room and listen.

My thoughts can be chatty and can sometimes feel Spirit going shhh, got something to say.

i like the word "being", but perhaps this is what we are doing. "Entity" works nicely as well.

Thank you

The article you posted looks interesting, will read it when I make time for it.
Old 25-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
Hey there,

Well more rambling

Lol, if I put on a floppy hat and flowery dress, well let's just say if I did the looks I would get would be priceless. Guess it is the ol' bandana and faded jeans for me.

True, it seems some get so busy talking, that it gets forgotten to listen and no one knows oneself better then oneself. Isn't this what all this is about, getting to know one self?

Find it interesting when going through discussions about ego how it tends to intertwine between the psychological aspect and the spiritual aspects. Some manage to point out similarities, but feel the two take different paths. Which at times can be a bit confusing, unless clarified. Find both interesting.

For me, as stated before and by others it seems to be how one thinks it to be.
Agree, can not "kill" the ego for it is part of how one relates to things and others.
For me it is paying attention to what each aspect may bring. What is referred to as "ego" can be distracting if over thought about, IMO.

Sure, depends upon where one is. I Am is just being with all it may entail, IMO.

To me, it can be like being in a crowded room and trying to hear a whisper with in the chatter. Need to step out of the room and listen.

My thoughts can be chatty and can sometimes feel Spirit going shhh, got something to say.

i like the word "being", but perhaps this is what we are doing. "Entity" works nicely as well.

Thank you

The article you posted looks interesting, will read it when I make time for it.
Put on the dress Moonie, It shows off the sexiness of your knees and it'll give the neighbours something to talk about. You know how they Love gossip so you'll b doing them a favour.

Way beck when I wanted to know what the ego really was, I'd seen all the posts and something didn't sit right. For me at that time ego was the root of all evil but instinct said that it was worth checking out. That led me to Jung, and if anyone should know what the ego is then it's him. What many people don't realise is that your Spirituality is 'built' on your psychology. What you believe and - more importantly the reasons you believe it - is based on what's in your head; after all it's your head that processes your Spirituality. If you look at the reasons people come to Spirituality often there are psychological reasons - Life PTSD, loss of a Loved One, looking for answers...

But who steps out of the room? You don't step out of your ego and you can't run away from it. Where you are there is your ego, it's what gives you a sense of I am. I am here out of this room. It just needs a little training and it's your friend for Life. Tell it to be polite and be quiet when the Soul speaks and it'll have its turn later and it'll be happy with itself.

There are two things that are often happening in Spirituality, one is that it takes a very Spiritual-exclusive view and the other is that we're trying to find out how awesome we are. Gestalt Reality does both - and puts ego into perspective. The entity encompasses everything in a neat package and integrates instead of separates, and when you think of all the parts we have it makes us pretty damned awesome beasties. All we have to do is find a way to Live with all that we are.

You're most welcome Moonglow. When you get your head around the article and see ll the parts working together, it's a game-changer for sure.
Old 25-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
The whole crux of the matter is a question of association/identification with ourselves as being sovereign in relation to a transcendent consciousness and merely 'believing' one is That without the subsequent Moksha (liberation from Karma) as the accompanying hallmark of such actuality.
To keep it very simple, psychology underpins Spirituality and what you're talking about here is just that - it's called cognitive dissonance. It's in action with the title of the thread because a definition of ego is hindering a projection of a definition of/identification with Spirit. or as Einstein said "Genius is being able to hold two opposing concepts in the mind at the same time."

We're still afraid of the dark, start a thread with Light vs dark and wee what happens but that's a fear we've had since caveman days; it's a survival technique but we're no longer prey animals for lions and tigers and bears. Oh my.

For me, it's questions like these that raise not Spirituality but fundamental questions about who and what we are, that while we can understand what The Absolute Truth is we're still tripping over our own feet because we can't tie our shoelaces.
Old 25-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Put on the dress Moonie, It shows off the sexiness of your knees and it'll give the neighbours something to talk about. You know how they Love gossip so you'll b doing them a favour.

Way beck when I wanted to know what the ego really was, I'd seen all the posts and something didn't sit right. For me at that time ego was the root of all evil but instinct said that it was worth checking out. That led me to Jung, and if anyone should know what the ego is then it's him. What many people don't realise is that your Spirituality is 'built' on your psychology. What you believe and - more importantly the reasons you believe it - is based on what's in your head; after all it's your head that processes your Spirituality. If you look at the reasons people come to Spirituality often there are psychological reasons - Life PTSD, loss of a Loved One, looking for answers...

But who steps out of the room? You don't step out of your ego and you can't run away from it. Where you are there is your ego, it's what gives you a sense of I am. I am here out of this room. It just needs a little training and it's your friend for Life. Tell it to be polite and be quiet when the Soul speaks and it'll have its turn later and it'll be happy with itself.

There are two things that are often happening in Spirituality, one is that it takes a very Spiritual-exclusive view and the other is that we're trying to find out how awesome we are. Gestalt Reality does both - and puts ego into perspective. The entity encompasses everything in a neat package and integrates instead of separates, and when you think of all the parts we have it makes us pretty damned awesome beasties. All we have to do is find a way to Live with all that we are.

You're most welcome Moonglow. When you get your head around the article and see ll the parts working together, it's a game-changer for sure.

Hi Greenslade,

I came across the term ego when taking a psychology class, way back when.
So associated it with our psychological make up.

Then I got into reading some Eastern philosophies and teachings, in my twenties, and "ego" took on a whole new outlook.

But, all in all it came and comes across to me as refocusing ones thinking.

So, the two seem to mix in a way. Guess the debate and/or discussions seem to go around and around as to what the end result should be or could be, IMO.

I read a book on cognitive thinking. It went into various patterns and habits of the way one may think and perceive things. This can affect how one feels.

Example, all or nothing thinking. It is either this way or not. Which leads to a black and white veiw of thing. Find life is not like this. There are some grey areas and different points of view.

When using stepping out of the room, am not meaning to imply just walking away fro the "ego" or self identity. It is more of finding the space to listen to oneself. Get away from all the chatter and hearsay. What is the intuition and Spirit telling me?

Spiritual and psychological do blend together, the labels and terms give reference as to the manner in which "ego" or anything is being referred to and discussed.

Yes, information is processed through the ol' brain box in order to make sense.
It is as perceived to be and find much more. The much more makes it interesting and brings tegu use to my mind to look beyond just what is thought to be.

"Ego" for me is just self identification and how my thoughts play into it. It is not "evil" unless thought to be. The irony is even thinking such does not make it so.

Just a guidepost and label to bring attention to that aspect in ourselves.

Can realize our essence, but doesn't what manifest from this make life oh so much more? Why, try and kill it? I say embrace it, for it is a part of being human. It gave rise to our desire to seek out more and be more. To think, observe, interact, the needs and not all flow with in us. Yes, we are pretty awesome in our own being/as entities.

Sure can sit naked in perpetual meditation, but even in this state would see a person there connecting with Spirit, just in thier own way.

I don't view things as whether "ego" is doing it or not, just find it interesting what the term is pointing at. It is all this person being as I am at present.

Just a matter of focus and being open, IMO.
Old 25-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Master

Everything rotates around definitions. So this is the shortened version of mine............:)

The primary purpose and function of the ego is to enable our self-preservation. This function must assume ever-present and possible danger. i.e. it thrives on fear.

Spirit and fear are not compatible. A predominance of either drives the other out(or greatly lessens its effect). It can either be spirit drives out fear or, reversely, fear drives out spirit(love)
Old 26-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Everything rotates around definitions. So this is the shortened version of mine............:)

The primary purpose and function of the ego is to enable our self-preservation. This function must assume ever-present and possible danger. i.e. it thrives on fear.

Spirit and fear are not compatible. A predominance of either drives the other out(or greatly lessens its effect). It can either be spirit drives out fear or, reversely, fear drives out spirit(love)
In part, yes. Your reality is defined by your perceptions, your perceptions are defined by your beliefs and your beliefs are defined by your definitions.

If you're going to try and understand 'ego' in the forum vernacular, don't try to understand the word 'ego' but people's propensity to redefine words that make them sound more Spiritual. Ironically their own definition of the word.

The shorter version of your is.... not right. If you really want to understand the go forget any Spiritual definitions and go Google it, Jung is the foremost expert.
Old 26-02-2018, 04:18 PM
Master

Quote:

In part, yes. Your reality is defined by your perceptions, your perceptions are defined by your beliefs and your beliefs are defined by your definitions.

If you're going to try and understand 'ego' in the forum vernacular, don't try to understand the word 'ego' but people's propensity to redefine words that make them sound more Spiritual. Ironically their own definition of the word.

The shorter version of your is.... not right. If you really want to understand the go forget any Spiritual definitions and go Google it, Jung is the foremost expert.

A perfect illustration of the tediously over-employed platitude.
Old 26-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Master

Quote:

Greenslade,

Thanks for your response. It would have been helpful if you had provided Jung's definition of ego. My quick Google of 'Jung's definition of ego' yielded this: "According to Jung, the ego represents the conscious mind as it comprises the thoughts, memories, and emotions a person is aware of. The ego is largely responsible for feelings of identity and continuity"(end of quote). I interpet 'identity' as that awareness that separates us from others. I interpret 'continuity' as that which relates to one's desire for survival.

What I offered was not a defintion per se even though I foolishly used the word 'definition'. Specifically, I spoke of 'programs and functions'.....now this, of course, is a legitimate subject for debate. I took notice in this forum.....#1030 in 'Qutoes From the Masters and Teachers' provided by _A human Being_ :"Part of the basic condition of the human body-mind is a certain protective contraction that creates the ego structure-that's just part of being human, and it's not a problem. The ego doesn't need to be dismantled, only seen for what it is.'-Jon Bernie(end of quote). Naturally I focused on the words 'protective contraction'. So while you might disagree with my concept of the ego, as is often the case, one can find confirmation(or agreement) from others.

Furthermore, you seem to be loyal to a static definition of ego as initially provided by Jung. Frankly I would think Jung would be gratified by the attempts of others to consider his exposition and any subsequent attempts to understand it and expand it in ways that reveal the implications of it.....specifically programs and functions.
Old 26-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Master

In retrospect, I should have realized that ego is a sensitive subject for many. I simply wished to propose that fear is a hindrance to spirituality. Perhaps there are those that would that would argue that fear is an aid to spirituality. It certainly seems to be employed in that way by many religious fundamentalists. So I can understand arguments that emanate from that particular viewpoint. I was, of course, suggesting that a source of fear is from what I understand to be called the ego. Once again, anyone is free to dispute that notion........:)
Old 26-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
A perfect illustration of the tediously over-employed platitude.
Sometimes people are just people, man.