Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 04-06-2020, 11:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
What do you think is more useful to a person: intellect or intuition?

Like any tool, its uselfulness is a function of the intelligence and skill of the person who uses (or miss-uses!) either of them.
From my book:
"We’d better be careful. Even when accurate, discrimination and judgment do not in and of themselves serve good purpose. They are, in fact, quite often put to ill use. Many awards of merit and approval, for example, are just bribes aimed at procuring allegiance. And much criticism and penalization, instead of being constructive, is anti-Life in spirit and function, basically hateful. What passes for righteousness is often no more than self-serving affectation—let’s not fool ourselves and let’s not be fooled. Besides being discerning, one must be concerned enough to discover why those involved (including oneself) don’t do better and conscientious enough to do what will promote more optimal actualization, if one is to creatively contribute.

In such quest, adages and directives should not simply be accepted and uncritically followed, no matter how esteemed their source or how brilliant seeming their interpretation. Life is too multidimensional and its components too intricately interwoven for guidelines and prescriptions to always be applicable. As the occasional appropriateness and equally occasional inappropriateness of such oft-quoted maxims as “Haste makes waste” and “A stitch in time saves nine” makes quite clear, what will or won’t do the most good depends on circumstance. In this regard, there are no canonical absolutes.

However, one shouldn’t therefore decide it is better to just rely on what is thought of as intuition instead. Though spontaneously arising thought-feeling gestalts and prompts may frequently be totally appropriate and Life-affirming, they are often purely reflexive phenomena, like the excitement of Pavlov’s dogs upon hearing a familiar-sounding bell, heavily influenced by, if not completely a function of, prior patterns of perception and conditioning. As demonstrated by the fact that acclaimed clairvoyants also make erroneous pronouncements, intuition is not a totally trustworthy indication. Even the most impressive revelation does not derive from direct perception of Life’s actual layout, but is a subjective ‘projection’ based on what is ‘alive’ in the domain of one’s personal or group psyche at the moment.
"

Quote:
What is worse for a person to be: mediocre or ignorant?
This question is not answerable because these are not compare-able descriptors. The following (also from by book if you want more commentary on the subjjet) may provide some guidance, however.
"Let us ... recognize that, no matter how superior or inferior one may be relative to others in terms of specific traits and attributes, grandiosity and obsequiousness are really pretentious postures, equally unbecoming. Given his or her circumstance, the best anyone can do is choose, from available options, the ones that will be most fruitful. If and when we “judge” ourselves or others, it should be on this score. Besides the fact that no more than this is possible, the quality of Life depends on the degree to which each of us manages or fails to do so."
Old 05-06-2020, 01:29 AM
Master

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
Inavalan ... except I would say that one can reason it out - 'correctly' if one has no 'bias'!
What do you think is more useful to a person: intellect or intuition [1] ? What is worse for a person to be: mediocre or ignorant [2] ?
Quote:
[1] Like any tool, its uselfulness is a function of the intelligence and skill of the person who uses (or miss-uses!) either of them.
From my book: ...

[2] This question is not answerable because these are not compare-able descriptors. The following (also from by book if you want more commentary on the subjjet) may provide some guidance, however. ...

In my book:
  • [1] to a person, intuition is more useful than intellect
  • [2] for a person, it is worse to be mediocre than ignorant (stupidity is something else)
    - intellect without intuition equals mediocrity, no matter how high the intelligence
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:37 AM
Newbie ;)

It’s a dream within a dream. Consciousness is the trigger to beat ego and leave Maya. As Maya is ego. Once you do, you break the reincarnation process.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:50 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Avatar
It’s a dream within a dream. Consciousness is the trigger to beat ego and leave Maya. As Maya is ego. Once you do, you break the reincarnation process.
We all use the same words, but give them different meanings. No wonder we can't communicate nor agree with each other.

To me what you say doesn't make sense.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:18 PM
Master
Quote:
In my book:
  • [1] to a person, intuition is more useful than intellect
  • What comes to 'mind' is that the functioning of Intellect = the process of 'thought' de[/i]duction (i.e. exploration of a subject of concern); and that the functioning of Intuition = the process of 'thought' induction, i.e. 'inspire'ation, as when one invents hypotheses pertaining to this or that subject of concern. Both are potentially very useful, especially when 'wielded' in coordination and used to double-check and refine each other. Both are worse than not 'knowing' anything, like loaded guns are, when 'wielded' by idiots and/or emotionally misguided souls!

Quote:
  • [2] for a person, it is worse to be mediocre than ignorant (stupidity is something else)
    - intellect without intuition equals mediocrity, no matter how high the intelligence
Methinks this statement reflects an emotional bias (and consequent judgmental 'prejudice') on your part. As implied by my previous statement, people with high IQs often are quite 'blind' (by virtue of 'selective' thinking, and mucho 'crazy' (by virtue of 'unbalanced' emotionality).
Old 05-06-2020, 08:45 PM
Master

@davidsun:

I don't define intuition as a process of thought, nor inspiration. It is knowing beyond intellectual reasoning.

Not sure what emotional bias / judgmental prejudice are you referring to. There is no reliable reasoning if you can't intuitively confirm the reasoning's conclusions. That's why scientists are so many times wrong. That's mediocrity: to be wrong and not question it.

There are four knowledge possibilities:
  • to know that you don't know - ignorance
  • to not know that you don't know - mediocrity - the most dangerous situation
  • to not know that you know
  • to know that you know
Old 06-06-2020, 05:03 PM
Master
Quote:
I don't define intuition as a process of thought, nor inspiration.
Our understandings/definitions differ. That's OK. I 'understand' intuition to be inspire-ation. You say:
Quote:
It is knowing beyond intellectual reasoning.
BUTT saying that only says it is something or other that is beyond (i.e. it is NOT :smile") "intellectual reasoning". It doesn't say what you understand it to be.

So there is nothing meaning-full 'in' what you say that I can relate to.

Quote:
Not sure what emotional bias / judgmental prejudice are you referring to. There is no reliable reasoning if you can't intuitively confirm the reasoning's conclusions. That's why scientists are so many times wrong. That's mediocrity: to be wrong and not question it.
The 'bias' against 'science' that I refer to is illustrated by the FACT that you don't impartially relate to the FACT, which I mentioned, that 'acclaimed' clairvoyants also (sometimes, and sometimes even often) make erroneous 'predications' under the rug - instead of really considering the implications of that FACT. (I agree that 'scientists' aren't 'all-knowing either, BTW!)

Quote:
There are four knowledge possibilities:
  • to know that you don't know - ignorance
  • to not know that you don't know - mediocrity - the most dangerous situation
  • to not know that you know
  • to know that you know
In 'joust' , No. 2 pertains to you as well, I think.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:16 PM
Master

Quote:
Our understandings/definitions differ. That's OK. I 'understand' intuition to be inspire-ation. You say:

BUTT saying that only says it is something or other that is beyond (i.e. it is NOT :smile") "intellectual reasoning". It doesn't say what you understand it to be.

So there is nothing meaning-full 'in' what you say that I can relate to.

The 'bias' against 'science' that I refer to is illustrated by the FACT that you don't impartially relate to the FACT, which I mentioned, that 'acclaimed' clairvoyants also (sometimes, and sometimes even often) make erroneous 'predications' under the rug - instead of really considering the implications of that FACT. (I agree that 'scientists' aren't 'all-knowing either, BTW!)

In 'joust' , No. 2 pertains to you as well, I think.
You seem to intend to insult me. Bye.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:30 PM
Master
Quote:
You seem to intend to insult me. Bye.
I could take your dismissively not responding to what I say as an insult. I don't because I recognize that you/anyone are just being the 'best' you can be and trying to get your point across.

Just as you have done in relation to me, my intention was/is to confront and challenge you (in this case) with what I consider to be important truth.

OK with me if you want to 'pick up your marbles' and 'go home'. I ain't paying the "I'll scratch your back no matter what" game, especially in relation to somone who projects 'superiority' on relation to others' implied 'mediocrity'. This I do across the board. I recognize the intensity and depth of your quest, Inavalan. It ain't personal.