Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 28-08-2014, 02:09 AM
Knower
Laufey

Does anyone have any assorted knowledge of Laufey? Laufey was the mother of Loki, the Norse god of mischief, fire and lies. She was not known for much other than being supposedly made pregnant by a bolt of lightening thrown bt the great giant Farbauti, her name means either weak or Isle of Trees and she is also associated somewhat with Earth Mother concept. More would be helpful.
Old 28-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Experiencer
Since there is so little information in the myths about Laufey,one might use the intuition and improvise.
She is definietly to the woods,trees and forests,on one hand She is full of leaves,on the other,She is slender,Nal means needle.
Her nature is hidden and maybe has something to do with the wisdom of the paradox,moreover considering the nature of Loki himself and the fact that in mythology Loki is called by the matronym Laufeyjarson.
Old 28-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Knower
Re Laufey

Thanks, that helps. The overall Mother concept in Norse is a bit vague. Improvising and intuition I think is going to be the way i have to go. What I would like to pin down is whether she is supposed to be of the Aesir or the Vanir or some sory of nature spirit. Thanks for the input.
Old 28-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Experiencer
Most probably She is a Vanir.
Old 28-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Knower
I agree

I agree. There was some thought that maybe she was one of the great nature elves, off the top of my head i cannot remember the name of the world except that it is not Svartalheim. The same concept as Heimdall's mother I would think. But a Vanir is the dominant thinking I believe at least. That is the problem with Norse and Teutonic they are almost umbrella terms and are very tenuous. I appreciate the input though. it is nice to be able to discuss with anybody that anything about the material either Pagan or Mythology and not sound either like a total nut or a bore.
Old 28-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Experiencer
Always a pleasure to know and discuss with people like you,Caitlyn.I have read your introduction and i salute you!
Old 08-09-2014, 11:06 AM
fey421

Hi Caitlynn
Only know that Laufey - Nal fey was the wife of the giant Farbuti & mother of 3 ( Loki being one). She had to have been a giantess herself which belongs to the Disir (acc: your anc) was the 3rd aspect of mother goddess earth
Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 AM
fey421

Hi Caitlynn
Only know that Laufey - Nal fey was the wife of the giant Farbuti & mother of 3 ( Loki being one). She had to have been a giantess herself which belongs to the Disir (acc: your anc) was the 3rd aspect of the Mother Earth Goddess .
Old 08-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Naddread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fey421
Hi Caitlynn
Only know that Laufey - Nal fey was the wife of the giant Farbuti & mother of 3 ( Loki being one). She had to have been a giantess herself which belongs to the Disir (acc: your anc) was the 3rd aspect of the Mother Earth Goddess .

What makes you think she had to have been a giantess? And how do you figure that being a giantess makes her a Dis? And lastly can you explain what you mean about being the 3rd aspect of Earth? (Jord)

~Naddread~
Old 08-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Knower
Cat A Jotun?

I had not seen a reference so much to Laufey as a Jotun. But I have seen her connected to as I said a Divine Feminine or a greater nature concept. To me this does not seem a big jump to one of the Dis at all. There also was quite a dissonance between the meaning of her names as I mentioned before. Her name meaning "Needle", "Weak" (which could be a reflection of the Norse perception of Farbauti's rape of her), nut yet she is also clearly translated as "Isle of trees" . I felt that there was a connection to the Vanir possibly.
If I was to read a lot into things I would use that as a connection to her son Loki eating Gulveig's heart and assuming more of his nature.

But if she was a Jotun, then Loki's patronage would have never been in doubt.

I wonder as well if there is knowledge at all of her other two children?

Last edited by Caitlyn Laufey : 08-09-2014 at 03:24 PM.