Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 31-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Knower

For those who call themselves vegan or vegetarian... why the label?

Although I keep a diet that many people would call "vegan," I've never felt comfortable calling myself a vegan. I don't really like labeling who I am as a person because of what I eat. Whenever I try to say, "I am vegan," it just feels constricting and false to me, even though it's not like I'm "cheating" or anything. I just prefer to say, "I eat a plant-based diet." I think that encompasses my political philosophy much better and resonates with me more. I think this is partially because I "went vegan" without consulting vegan communities, which had actually turned me off to veganism in the past. So I just eat what feels right to me and don't call myself anything. If someone were to ask me if I was vegan I would probably say no.

But, that's just me, and I never saw the point of the label. For those of you who keep vegetarian/vegan/plant-based diets and call yourselves vegans or vegetarians, what made you decide to call yourself that? (I am not trying to attack anyone, I just want to hear about the different paths that led us here.)
Old 31-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Master
Labeling and pigeonholing helps humans understand, but more and more it leads to misunderstandings.

I only know one thing, I don't eat animals.
The rest I choose in accordance what is OK for my body to eat.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:44 AM
Experiencer
Labels can be helpful to distinguish one diet from the other in single words.

But there are labels and labels. A vegan lifestyle is something different then a vegan diet.

So when I talk with people about diets and health I call myself a vegan because of my diet. I explain that I am a vegan by diet and not by lifestyle. So I also say that I have a plant based diet.
Old 15-04-2016, 11:37 PM
Seeker

The problem is, if you intend to say anything at all about your chosen diet, even if it's 'I eat a plant-based diet,' you are still, by definition, labelling yourself.
My family falls somewhere between vegetarianism and veganism, though I'd definitely call myself a 'wanna-be' vegan, and have been chipping away at that final conversion for a couple of years now.
There's at least one positive that comes from tolerating this particular label, and that's the example it could set to others. If others can witness your lifestyle, and feel reassured that you're healthy, and don't actually have horns at all, they might be more inclined to explore the vegetarian/vegan label thing for themselves, and I reckon that can only be a good thing?
Old 16-04-2016, 02:44 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma-free-life
The problem is, if you intend to say anything at all about your chosen diet, even if it's 'I eat a plant-based diet,' you are still, by definition, labelling yourself.
My family falls somewhere between vegetarianism and veganism, though I'd definitely call myself a 'wanna-be' vegan, and have been chipping away at that final conversion for a couple of years now.
There's at least one positive that comes from tolerating this particular label, and that's the example it could set to others. If others can witness your lifestyle, and feel reassured that you're healthy, and don't actually have horns at all, they might be more inclined to explore the vegetarian/vegan label thing for themselves, and I reckon that can only be a good thing?

Yeah, labels are kind of unavoidable. But I don't like the associations with the vegan label. A lot of people (including myself) have had bad experiences in the broader vegan community. I think a lot of people's hangups with plant-based diets can be relieved by not fussing over labels. What's important is that their diet is beneficial for them, animals, and the ecosystem, not whether they call themselves vegan or not.
Old 16-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth
What's important is that their diet is beneficial for them, animals, and the ecosystem, not whether they call themselves vegan or not.
Can't argue with that, coelacanth!

What were your bad experiences with the vegan community? I could count on one hand the number of vegans I know, but they all seem 'normal' ish!
Old 18-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth
Yeah, labels are kind of unavoidable. But I don't like the associations with the vegan label. A lot of people (including myself) have had bad experiences in the broader vegan community. I think a lot of people's hangups with plant-based diets can be relieved by not fussing over labels. What's important is that their diet is beneficial for them, animals, and the ecosystem, not whether they call themselves vegan or not.

Hey, my local Seventh Day Adventists studiously avoid the term "vegan" for its political controversy. And they tout "plant-based diet" harder than anyone, though in a more kind way than do a lot of vegans. You're in good company.

karma-free-life, vegans are known for being supercilious and judgmental, even towards vegetarians. (because vegetarians are seen as "not hardcore enough" and in some respects, worse than carnivores because they're 'aware' but haven't reached 'full' dietary enlightenment) Not all are like that, but that stereotype didn't just spring up out of nowhere.

I drew that cute little dragonet on DeviantArt's Muro board. It is a lot of fun to reply with pictures in a forum!

"The brain was billions of years or more in the making. Each one is a unique make and model. What will you do with yours?" quoted from here *taps head*
Old 18-04-2016, 10:46 PM
Seeker

Well, I'll certainly try to stay aware of your points, Green Queen. I have to say, though, it hasn't been my own experience, as yet, but then I do confess to having a low exposure to vegans. Interesting, thank-you! :-)
Old 23-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma-free-life
What were your bad experiences with the vegan community? I could count on one hand the number of vegans I know, but they all seem 'normal' ish!

This certainly doesn't apply to all vegans. But a lot of the ones I've met are upper-class and very snobby. They literally cannot conceive of a world where people struggle for basic necessities (like my family). The only reason I can eat the diet I do is because I go to a college with enough vegan options.

Vegans have accused me of lying about having food allergies or being poor, called me "weak" when I slip up, insulted me when I have the gall to say entirely plant-based diets are not feasible for everyone, mocked me when I haven't heard of vegan brands like Diaya, etc. And since I'm Jewish I get all sorts of condescending comments about how I should "know better."

I have my own political reasons as to why I think the vegan label is counterproductive to food and environmental justice, but that's for another day...
Old 23-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Experiencer
A vegan life-style out of principle for the well-being of animals is very honorable. But if you lack the love for your fellow-man you may ask yourself just what you are doing.

There is no safe haven. Having a feeling of rightheousness about what you do is by no means a guarantee for a place in heaven.
You build your own heaven. You do that by your actions, your inner feeling, by your conscious feeling and thinking. Your ability to love other people and other life in general is decisive for your heaven in the afterlife. Without love you will not get very far in the spiritual world at all.

I have a very interesting topic about this on my website. It's called Fallen Angels??
This topic shows that people who have worked their way up to a sphere of light in the afterlife and then go back to earth for a new life are still very much susceptible for the temptations and desires that are thrown upon you in the earth sphere. It is in fact a confrontation with your unconscious aspects. Aspects of your personality, your being, that you are not fully conscious aware of. As a result you may easily fall back in bad habits, your own bad habits. And when you then return to the afterlife you may find yourself ending up in a sphere of darkness.
In spite of the fact that you left for earth from a sphere of light!!

So this goes for everyone. There are no exceptions to that. It goes for you, for me and for anybody else.
Be aware of what you feel. Be aware of how you respond to other people. Understand that your reaction to other people is another brick in your house in the afterlife. Every thought, every action counts. That is how you build your own heaven.

So people who accuse you of falling short in any way probably have a lot to become aware of themselves.
Stay true to yourself. Keep your feet on the ground. You build your heaven one step at a time.