Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 18-12-2013, 01:19 AM
Niebla0007

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
The pagan Yule is more fun and boozy ! Wassail, Wassail !

1. Wassail! wassail! all over the town,
Our toast it is white and our ale it is brown;
Our bowl it is made of the white maple tree;
With the wassailing bowl1, we'll drink to thee.2

2. Here's to our horse, and to his right ear,
God send our master a happy new year:
A happy new year as e'er he did see,
With my wassailing bowl I drink to thee.

3. So here is to Cherry and to his right cheek
Pray God send our master a good piece of beef
And a good piece of beef that may we all see
With the wassailing bowl, we'll drink to thee.

4. Here's to our mare, and to her right eye,
God send our mistress a good Christmas pie;
A good Christmas pie as e'er I did see,
With my wassailing bowl I drink to thee.3

5. So here is to Broad Mary and to her broad horn
May God send our master a good crop of corn
And a good crop of corn that may we all see

6. And here is to Fillpail and to her left ear
Pray God send our master a happy New Year
And a happy New Year as e'er he did see

7. Here's to our cow4, and to her long tail,
God send our master us never may fail
Of a cup of good beer5: I pray you draw near,
And our jolly wassail it's then you shall hear.

8. Come butler, come fill us a bowl of the best
Then we hope that your soul in heaven may rest
But if you do draw us a bowl of the small
Then down shall go butler, bowl and all.

9. Be here any maids? I suppose here be some;
Sure they will not let young men stand on the cold stone!
Sing hey O, maids! come trole back the pin,
And the fairest maid in the house let us all in.

10. Then here's to the maid in the lily white smock
Who tripped to the door and slipped back the lock
Who tripped to the door and pulled back the pin
For to let these jolly wassailers in.

English Traditional.

Yeah, very nice thing to post, this. Thank you.
Old 27-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Ascender
I celebrate Yule, personally.
And I believe that Santa was modelled after Odhinn, because Odhinn pretty much did what Santa does now. Travelled about on Sleipnir giving gifts to children who left out hay for Sleipnir. The Christianity came along, changed Yule to Christmas (even though logically speaking, Jesus was born in Spring because there were baby animals present at his birth. Baby animals aren't born mid Winter) and then Coca Cola turned Santa red when originally, he wore green (or gray).
Old 08-01-2014, 04:46 AM
Experiencer

So? Why does it matter? Something as small as this shouldn't be a big deal, people shorten words all the time, it is in no way anti-christian, catholic or whatever.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenriggs
So? Why does it matter? Something as small as this shouldn't be a big deal, people shorten words all the time, it is in no way anti-christian, catholic or whatever.

While that may be true, it's still attempting to make a decision for everyone, religious or not.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:56 PM
MarkHerry

I have study the content on the internet about the Atheistic advertisements and maintaining Jesus out of Xmas. In previous periods, when I was a Religious myself, these types of factors used to hurt me significantly. But as the periods and my lifestyle has modified, I have come to appreciate and regard your philosophy. No, I myself am not an Atheist, but my direction has gone more the way of historical paganism and Buddhism. One factor I can verify however, is that being in the Religious religious beliefs was a trip through much worry and shame.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Animus27

While it is true many folk celebrations of Christmas are influenced by Medieval, occasionally non-christian customs, the holiday itself is not merely a remodeled Jól, since it was already a holiday before the missionary ventures were undertaken to the Germanic world at large, and therefore, wouldn't necessitate the "papering over" of a native Germanic holiday. If you want to argue any pagan origins of Christmas, late Roman celebrations would be a more fruitful avenue in determining the rise of the holiday.

Not to mention the issue that the Viking Age and Anglo-Saxon Yule wasn't usually celebrated on the 25th, or even 21st/22nd, the popular dates for championing when one wants to prove "sun worship" or other points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyth Von Gore
I celebrate Yule, personally.
And I believe that Santa was modelled after Odhinn, because Odhinn pretty much did what Santa does now. Travelled about on Sleipnir giving gifts to children who left out hay for Sleipnir. The Christianity came along, changed Yule to Christmas (even though logically speaking, Jesus was born in Spring because there were baby animals present at his birth. Baby animals aren't born mid Winter) and then Coca Cola turned Santa red when originally, he wore green (or gray).
I admit that there may be remnants of an Odinic figure in some of the Medieval conceptions of St. Nicholas, but I would seriously doubt heathens ever thought of Odin delivering gifts to children during winter, considering he was usually the leader of the Wild Hunt during the time, where the procession would steal away or kill whomever saw them. The gift giving traditions are almost certainly influenced by the hagiographical accounts of st. Nicholas of Myra's charity to local children and orphans.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Ascender
http://infolocata.com/mirovia/irrefu...santa-is-odin/

Old 05-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyth Von Gore
I laughed myself silly when I first saw that, it still makes me chuckle whenever I read it
Old 29-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Deactivated Account
TRUTH 4

CHRISTMAS is a pagan holiday that is not in the HOLY BIBLE.They use it to make money of course!!!Jesus was not born on DECEMBER 25TH no one know his date of birth.Also they just adapted a thing that a saint did which was giving gifts to poor people.
Old 29-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Just checked out the link...

“Many so-called ‘Christmas’ traditions celebrated by Americans have nothing to do with Christianity. For example, the North Pole and Santa traditions come from Nordic and Germanic pagan traditions, and caroling, yule logs, mistletoe, holly wreaths..."

I was thinking recently how Christmas is mostly celebrated without mention if Jeebus or his dad.
Your logic is flawed. Atheists can be as narrow minded as those they're accusing of that.

Let the people be! Be at least polite if you aren't able to be respectful!

You (stevo) better think twice before you let others know what crosses your mind!