Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 12-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by slave of Allaah
Thanks Peter,

Another question, if you allow me:
What Judaism say about the person who claim himself as God?

BTW, why do you say G-d? honestly
Why not say Elohim, or Eal?

One who would declare him/herself G-d would have committed חלול השם, hilul ha-shem, blasphemy.

G-d, of course, is not a name. It is, for want of a better term, a job title. It is however, in English anyway, the common term used to describe the deity. It is, therefore, the word I most commonly use, although I also frequently use Adonai, which is the substituted word, when one comes to it in Hebrew, for the tetragrammaton, G-d's name - which in Hebrew is spelled Yoh Hay Vav Hay.

When I am conversing in English, basically I use English. If I am talking, in English, about Jerusalem, I say Jerusalem, not Yerushalyim.

B'shalom,

Peter
Old 13-10-2011, 06:25 AM
slave of Allaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
One who would declare him/herself G-d would have committed חלול השם, hilul ha-shem, blasphemy.

G-d, of course, is not a name. It is, for want of a better term, a job title. It is however, in English anyway, the common term used to describe the deity. It is, therefore, the word I most commonly use, although I also frequently use Adonai, which is the substituted word, when one comes to it in Hebrew, for the tetragrammaton, G-d's name - which in Hebrew is spelled Yoh Hay Vav Hay.
So we have common faith. Good.

what is the meaning of hashem?

What are the terms used for the name of God in Hebrew? Is Adonai = God? or Yoh Hay Vav Hay (i hope you will detail it for me) = God?

And what is the difference between Adonai and Yoh Hay Vav Hay?
Old 13-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO

B'shalom,

Peter

I gotta check my typing more often. The tetragrammaton is, of course, spelled Yod Hay Vav Hay.

B'shalom,

Peter
Old 13-10-2011, 07:36 PM
slave of Allaah

Quote:

What are the terms used for the name of God in Hebrew? Is Adonai = God? or Yod Hay Vav Hay (i hope you will detail it for me) = God?

And what is the difference between Adonai and Yod Hay Vav Hay?

I gotta check after Peter more often

waiting for him to answer....
Old 13-10-2011, 09:36 PM
TeeHee

Adonai is to be used by gentiles as opposed to the sacred or in all Caps LORD/YHWH. Lord/Adonai as in small caps emphasizes His lordship. "Lord" or "kurios," in the New Testament is Greek for Master. Regardless of using the Hebrew or Greek, the point is that we always show reverence for Him and His name.
Old 14-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Experiencer
Quote:

What are the terms used for the name of God in Hebrew? Is Adonai = God? or Yoh Hay Vav Hay (i hope you will detail it for me) = God?

And what is the difference between Adonai and Yoh Hay Vav Hay?

Hashem literally means "the name." There are some Jews, who out of reverence for G-d and a desire to not risk the profanation of G-d's name, will use the term Hashem. Personally, I do not do that.

Adonai, although actually meaning "my lord" is used as I mentioned before as a substitution for G-d's four letter name, Yod-Hey-Vav-Hay.

The tetragrammaton is G-d's name. Don't ask me how to pronounce it. The exact pronunciation is now unknown. I realize that many scholars believe that they have pretty much figured it out and there are those who claim that the pronunciation was never lost, but I believe that the uncertainty remains.

B'shalom,

Peter