Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 22-10-2012, 11:13 AM
amy green

Thumbs up Your 3 Favourite Films currently....

It would be interesting also if you can briefly say why...
Here are mine (apologies for indulgent review):-

The Fisher King
An acknowledged masterpiece by the director Terry Gilliam. It's quirky, surreal, touching and sporadically funny. Unusual plot - principally about redemption. Also has an unconventional love element. Jeff Bridges (lead character) is outstanding in this and Robin Williams is convincing.

The Odd Couple
Chockful of really funny lines from the gifted screenplay writer, the late Neil Simon. Walther Matthau & Jack Lemmon are in sparkling form - the Lemmon character starts out trying to commit suicide and moves in with Matthau's character....never a dull moment!

Barefoot In The Park
Another Neil Simon masterpiece. Concerning newly weds in their first apartment - Jane Fonda & Robert Reford spar to good effect here. Her mother is a hoot and there are so many classic funny lines.

Old 22-10-2012, 05:07 PM
sesheta

Wow - that's a tough one!! Let's see:

1. Excalibur - Just because I love the whole mythos of King Arthur, Merlin, etc.....

2. Gone With The Wind - An epic masterpiece!

3. (Counts as more than one, technically!) All of the Vincent Price movies that were made from Edgar Allan Poe stories (Masque of the Red Death, House of Usher, etc.) I am a big fan of both Vincent Price and Poe, and those movies really brought those stories to life!
Old 22-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Master
1. Prometheus
I love movies that address real issues especially our ancient past and spirituality. This touches on the subject, and gives us splendid sets and visuals.

2. The Avengers
Just a good superhero movie. I love superheroes. I always equate humans to having hidden super powers

3. Moon
This is such a beautiful film. The atmosphere, the concepts of isolation, of being alone is addressed so well, and the character learns a very surprising secret on board the moon base. It's a remarkable piece of cinema.

Last edited by DoctorStrange : 22-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 22-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Master
(1) Contact - w/Jody Fisher - I honestly love it so much I don't even know how or what to say about it - just check it out.

(2) The Night of the Comet - sleeper that Siskel & Ebert promoted a while back - campy sci-fi movie - clever movie.

(3) The Postman - Kevin Kostner movie America post-apocalyptic - awesome must-see.

I know I'm lame when trying to describe these - suffice it to say they just stay with me.

Old 22-10-2012, 09:13 PM
amy green

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
(1) Contact - w/Jody Fisher - I honestly love it so much I don't even know how or what to say about it - just check it out.
Yes - I saw this a while ago now but I do recall that it seemed rather special and deep. Jody is perfectly cast in the role too.

Old 22-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Master
Dark Victory - Betty Davis - 1939. A true "chic flick", but I love it. The underlying theme is love life while you can - enjoy every minute because life is short. Betty Davis' character has an inoperable brain tumor and falls in love with and marries her doc. She knows she has only a short while to be happy and makes the most of it.

Gone with the Wind - 1939 - one of my all time favs. I can watch it a million times and never tire of it. Scarlet O'Hara is a great character.

Now, Voyager - 1942. Betty Davis again. The main character is bullied by her overbearing mother(she is afraid of being and dying alone.) She is forced to be a frumpy, old before her time, woman by her mother and she has a nervous breakdown because of it. She is transformed by her treatment at a private clinic and goes on a South American cruise where she meets and falls in love with a married man, Jerry. They decide not to see each other again and she returns home. After a breakup with her fiance, Charlotte argues with her mother and mother has a heart attack and dies. Charlotte returns to the clinic and meets a young girl who she learns is Jerry's daughter(and the reason he cannot divorce his wife.)

They keep their relationship a platonic one at the insistence of her doc. But, they love each other deeply, and are happy just to have that. Love it!

I have so many that I really like - Braveheart ranks up there, The Pianist, Far and Away. My list goes on forever. I have very eclectic taste.
Old 22-10-2012, 10:24 PM
amy green

Thumbs up

Onetruebeliever - your choices are classic and romantic ones!
Nice to see the old ones are up here....I don't go to the movies now - wait till it appears on TV!

Am pleased this list is taking off and that they come with descriptions. It whets the appetite to go and see them. Great stuff!

Old 23-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
Onetruebeliever - your choices are classic and romantic ones!
Nice to see the old ones are up here....I don't go to the movies now - wait till it appears on TV!

Am pleased this list is taking off and that they come with descriptions. It whets the appetite to go and see them. Great stuff!

We rarely go to the movies anymore either! It's way too expensive. We wait until they come to tv as well. The last one we saw(last week) on tv was The Descendants - 2011. Ya have to see that when it comes on in your neck of the woods. It's excellent.

I love old movies, most of them anyway. And it's fun to see the recent remakes of the oldies.
Old 23-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Master
Labyrinth-my childhood fav, and still is... (sad when i know every line of every character by heart lol...)

The Lost Boys- i don't know why... just is... i love 80's cult classics...

Star Wars(all of them as one)... every year i always have a marathon of them all... (and Harry Potter... and Lord of the Rings...)... i love fantasy...

Can i squeeze " The Notebook" in too?.... sorry, but i do love it... and Braveheart... too many... i will stand by the first three....

"you know that you have found your passion when your love for it overrides any fear to attain it..."-Solace
Old 28-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Master
You can always come back later, Solace.

Milagro Beanfield War - directed by Robert Redford - based on a novel - awesome tale.
Beautiful movie - (I read the novel and then discovered the movie). I consider it a gotta see.

Armed and Dangerous - if I haven't said it before - a John Candy movie w/Meg Ryan - very funny.

Catch Me If You Can - Tom Hanks - based on true story about that super-con dude.

It's a Wonderful Life - Jimmy Stewart - you know!

Gilbert Grape - Johnny Depp - one of those 'slow' movies that kept me interested.
And it's got - Johnny Depp!