Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 15-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Rain, Buddha did speak of Past Lives frequently.

I said he was against the attention being on the conceptual mind, on belief. If he was aware of his past lives and spoke about them, that's not a belief, that's knowledge.
Old 15-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
Well UK as well lol. Sky saw the word Hindu and thought, oh modern religion is being referred to. He is saying Buddha was a member of a modern religion! lol um no.

He is a She btw. I wasn't saying Buddha was a member of a modern religion, also don't forget his name wasn't Buddha You said he was raised a Hindu which is not true, his background was Vedic in origin.

Hindu is not originally an Indian word. It is a word given by the Greeks, then the Persians, to refer to the land and peoples beyond the Indus (or Sindhu) River. The term “Hinduism” came into common use only in the 19th century.
Old 15-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
I said he was against the attention being on the conceptual mind, on belief. If he was aware of his past lives and spoke about them, that's not a belief, that's knowledge.

If you say so Master....
Old 15-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Hindu is not originally an Indian word. It is a word given by the Greeks, then the Persians, to refer to the land and peoples beyond the Indus (or Sindhu) River. The term “Hinduism” came into common use only in the 19th century.

I already posted a better version of that in post #430.

Quote:
the term Hindu implied a geographic, ethnic or cultural identifier for people living in the Indian subcontinent around or beyond the Sindhu (Indus) river By the 16th century, the term began to refer to residents of the subcontinent who were not Turkic or Muslims

The Vedas (/ˈveɪdəz ˈviː-/;[1] Sanskrit: वेद veda, "knowledge") are a large body of knowledge texts originating in the ancient Indian subcontinent
Old 15-06-2018, 09:14 PM
Suspended

Some Hindu terms and concepts that exist in Buddhism:

Karma, Rebirth, Samsara, Nirvana, Samadhi.

Buddha mentioned the Hindu Vedas a lot in the Pali texts:

Here is Buddha referencing them:

13.‘Well then, Vaseṭṭha, what about the early sages of those Brahmins learned in the Three Vedas, the makers of the mantras, the expounders of the mantras, whose ancient verses are chanted, pronounced and collected by the Brahmins of today, and sung and spoken about — such as Atthaka, Vāmaka, Vāmadeva, Vessāmitta, Yamataggi, Angirasa, Bhāradvāja, Vāsettha, Kassapa, Bhagu - did they ever say: “We know and see when, how and where Brahmā appears”?’ ‘No, Reverend Gotama.’

14.‘So, Vāseṭṭha, not one of these Brahmins learned in the Three Vedas has seen Brahmā face to face, nor has one of their teachers, or teacher’s teachers, nor even the ancestor seven generations back of one of their teachers. Nor could any of the early sages say: “We know and see when, how and where Brahmā appears.” So what these Brahmins learned in the Three Vedas are saying is: “We teach this path to union with Brahmā that we do not know or see, this is the only straight path...leading to union with Brahmā.” What do you think, Vāseṭṭha? Such being the case, does not what these Brahmins declare turn out to be ill-founded?’ ‘Yes indeed, Reverend Gotama.’

--DN 13

What Buddha is saying here is one learns from what is present, what we can "know and see", not from that which is conceptual. Beliefs, religion, all conceptual. Now the conceptual that points to the actual is sacred and has value. But when one sees the moon, they no longer have a need for the finger pointing to it.

In the suttas, the Buddha debated constantly with brahmins and refuted their doctrine. For example ātman vs. anatta.

Buddha also re-casted keywords and concepts used by these traditions with entirely new meanings using his audience's vocabulary to explain his doctrine.

For example:

kamma
(translated as "action") in vedic tradition
Buddha has redefined it as cetanā ("volition" or "intention").
viññāṇa (trans. "consciousness"), which is considered essence of brahman (and thus, ātman), but in Buddhism, it's conditioned, subject to end.

Some say the Upanishadic concepts were influenced by Buddha's teachings some. So you had Vedas...... Buddha read them.... then Vedas further developed while Buddhism did so Buddhism may have had some influence on it.
Old 15-06-2018, 10:21 PM
Suspended

Quote:
If you say so Master....

I know you were being sarcastic:

but I wonder what your definition of a Master is? How do you conceptualize a so called Master? Have you met any Masters in person? Who would you put in a Master category? Any alive now? Do you think Buddha or Jesus were Masters? Or do you not care about the topic of "Masters" alive or dead? Do you even believe in Masters?
Old 16-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Master
Buddhism isn't a philosophy about self, and the examples in the suttas don't lay claim to an atman styled self as a true self or a nihilistic perspective of your non-existence. It's common people want a definite answer to the existential question, but insight into this does not provide an answer... but even the Brahman discourse is a finger pointing rather than an answer given. Buddhism doesn't give the answer because Buddha didn't answer these questions, but he did outline the reasons why he doesn't answer these in a couple of the suttas, which I'm too lazy to dig up again.

No one will ever figure it out, so the practice of 'knowing self', it's what is true of you at the moment. Not an answer as such, but as the subjective experience, and as the meditation is this observation, to recognise the experience without mine, me, my or I, it's just the truth of the experience as it is now in the way it is experienced by you.
Old 16-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Eelco

I'm glad we're not teaching.
So about those dishes. Rinsing before washing or just chucking them into hot soapy water.

With Love
Eelco
Old 16-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Buddhism isn't a philosophy about self, and the examples in the suttas don't lay claim to an atman styled self as a true self or a nihilistic perspective of your non-existence. It's common people want a definite answer to the existential question, but insight into this does not provide an answer... but even the Brahman discourse is a finger pointing rather than an answer given. Buddhism doesn't give the answer because Buddha didn't answer these questions, but he did outline the reasons why he doesn't answer these in a couple of the suttas, which I'm too lazy to dig up again.

No one will ever figure it out, so the practice of 'knowing self', it's what is true of you at the moment. Not an answer as such, but as the subjective experience, and as the meditation is this observation, to recognise the experience without mine, me, my or I, it's just the truth of the experience as it is now in the way it is experienced by you.

' No one will ever figure it out '
Figure what out Gem?
Old 16-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Master
Quote:
' No one will ever figure it out '
Figure what out Gem?

You can't really figure out anything, like from the simplest level you can't figure out what your breath feels like.