Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 13-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Knower

What is Love?

Hi,

I’m thinking about spiritual themes since decades. One of the questions I’ve been thinking about is: What is love?

I come to the following conclusions:
(1) Love is smaller than Happiness. Because the purpose of all life is the pursuit of happiness and love is just one type of happiness beside many other forms. So Love is a subset of happiness.
(2) How should we then define love? Apparently, love is just a state of consciousness. A state defined by two features: First it feels good. Love is primarily a feeling that is pleasurable. Although it would seem that the other person we love generates this feeling in us, the “love-feeling” is created to 99% within the individual itself. The second constituting element of love is that the individual who is experiencing love has the wish to care about the loved individual or entity.

Love = a good feeling + the wish to care about someone or something else.

In the case of personal love “someone” could be our husband, wife, kid, parent, sibling, friend, neighbour ....
In the case of universal love the “something” could be the planet, humankind, or universe.
Old 16-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Seeker

Surely the purpose of all life is procreation and preservation of the species. Reading your definition of love, the care that you mention would serve that purpose better than a pursuit of happiness could.
I am interested in how you would define happiness.
Old 16-04-2019, 11:09 PM
Master

Neither love, nor happiness are the purposes of life (procreation either). Both of them are emotions, and they exist only accompanied by their dual negative emotions, including the worst (counterproductive) one: fear.

The widely recommended "unconditional love" is, supposedly, a non-dual state of awareness, that should preclude the genesis of dual emotions, and ultimately the fear.

In the universal evolvement there is a progression: instinct, emotion, intellect, intuition. Each form of physical materialization is centered somewhere on that scale.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 17-04-2019, 07:00 AM
Seeker

Inavalan, those steps of prgression notions along with ideas of there being a purpose for all life change when viewed with intuition.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Deactivated Account
The only kind of love I know is parental love. But since humans are like animals, I suppose it's only natural to care for your offspring. Besides that, I don't believe in other forms of love.
Old 19-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Guide
Love is a glimpse of the experience of unity with another aspect of this world.
It comes from the spiritual experience of oneness beyond the ego where we are all part of the same undivided energy. But in the physical world we are only able to catch this experience in small doses due to ego and distraction.
Old 19-04-2019, 06:23 PM
Seeker
Question: What is Love?

It's a very good question. The concept of Love, in my opinion, is one of the fundemental building blocks of existence.

I think that Love is best defined as energy which is: Nurturing, Feeding, Giving.

Love can be both constructive or destructive. Healthy constructive Love is generally what is meant by the Christian concept: God is Love. This healthy constructive Love is usually easy for people to imagine because most people experience healthy constructive Love from their parents.

However, there is unhealthy destructive love as well. This can be described as smothering, obsession, and dominance.

From my life experience, I think that the way to maintain healthy constructive Love and to prevent unhealthy destructive love is to balance Love with Respect ( aka Restraint ).

Unbridled Human Love without limits seems to trend towards obsession and dominance. While Love that is balanced with Respect and Restraint do not.

That is my opinion on "What is Love"?
Old 19-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
The only kind of love I know is parental love. But since humans are like animals, I suppose it's only natural to care for your offspring. Besides that, I don't believe
in other forms of love.
That's interesting. I have never experienced love too (except a kind of parental love). But I believe something like love does exist because else other people wouldn’t make such a big deal out of the issue.
Old 19-04-2019, 07:06 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherkey
I am interested in how you would define happiness.
Happiness is the condition a conscious being would chose self-motivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherkey
Surely the purpose of all life is procreation and preservation of the species. Reading your definition of love, the care that you mention would serve that purpose better than a pursuit of happiness could.
Sorry, but this is nonsense. Procreation can’t be a purpose if the ultimate purpose weren’t happiness. Without happiness what should procreation be good for?
Old 19-04-2019, 07:13 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Neither love, nor happiness are the purposes of life (procreation either). Both of them are emotions, and they exist only accompanied by their dual negative emotions, including the worst (counterproductive) one: fear.
I didn’t say that happiness is the purpose but “pursuit of happiness” is the purpose of all material life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
The widely recommended "unconditional love" is, supposedly, a non-dual state of awareness, that should preclude the genesis of dual emotions, and ultimately the fear.
If you claim that the pursuit of unconditional love is the purpose of material life, I would say: unconditional love is a form of happiness. I define happiness as the condition a conscious being wants to experience most or that feels best.