Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 PM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy
Better than wheat guletin is brown rice powder.

Do you mean brown rice flour? And how do you use it?

My daughter turned me on to a tasty, quick and useful little recipe. It is a flat bread called soku (I think that's how it is spelled). It is made of chick pea flour, so it's actually a legume I guess and not just another grain.

Mix chick pea flour, a little bit of spelt flour, some garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and water. For additional nutrition, you can add a handful of assorted greens (if you have a food processor that is). Mix the whole batter up and adding enough water that it is a very thin and almost watery mixture, than heat a good non-stick frying pan (DON'T use a teflon pan please, if you love your body), drop a spot of coconut oil in and when it is sizzling, pour in a bit of your batter. If you swirl it around so that it spreads out as thin as possible, the edges fry up nice and crispy.

I love this stuff whether it's eaten by itself or as a base for some kind of sandwich, and it's got all sorts of nutrients in it. I am going to switch the spelt flour out though for some sort of non-gluten grain, like maybe quinoa which is chock full of calcium, B vitamins, iron, and protein.

There are so many great recipes to try and frankly very little need to use soy. I use that soy burger stuff maybe two or three times a year, just because my husband likes a 'traditional style' spaghetti sauce, but other than that I do try to avoid it because it is very harmful to those who have hypothyroidism.

Good luck.
Old 13-07-2011, 05:06 AM
astroboy

Quote:
Do you mean brown rice flour? And how do you use it?
Yes absolutely.
Make chapattis out of it.
Right now, I'm in the midst of creating a new blog, so I will post more details later.
Here's the blog "Shaman Priest of Malaysia".http://ubatdukun.wordpress.com/about/
Old 16-07-2011, 10:04 AM
DebbyM

I think I'll stick with the chick peas for 'chapattis'. While they contain a little more fat everything else is pretty much equal except for the protein. Brown rice contains about 15% while Chick peas are up at 50%. But it is a good suggestion on your part to try other flours and I think that brown rice is gluten free so it could be used for chapattis as you suggest, or as a thickener, or for pancakes or biscuits......
Old 19-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Levi

I just have to say that field roasts are what comes to my mind when someone asks about a alternative to regular tofu, since the main protein source is wheat.
Old 19-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza
Hello, just wondering if anyone can help? My family and I are vegan, we have been using quite a few products containing soy, my nephew has just reminded me of the hormone content. I am looking for alternatives and as far as I know there are none. I am talking veggie mince burgers etc, for those day's when a quick meal is needed. Soya seems to be in everything vegan.

You could try to make sure organic soy is used int he products.

Otherwise (and im not being disrespecful, im being honest), you may need some fish or eggs to suppliment the protien loss. But im not a nutritionist.
Old 19-09-2011, 07:49 PM
cazza

Thanks no offence taken, we have had to cut out dairy because my daughter suffered with extreme eczema, (which thankfully through allot of searching and help from others, she no longer has without mainstream medication, not to put it down but its just not for us). So in the beginning we ate allot of soy products until we found out that the body mistakes it for hormones and this is not good for boys especially. I have had some helpful tips from you all and have used the internet for some tasty recipes. I have also found out through my son that it is okay to have a little soy each day so we just try to keep it to a minimum.
Old 19-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Time

tHATS a good mentality to have!

My personal exzema - Its your water quality as well as amount of greasy food. Ive always eaten lots of dairy, and my eszema went away when I stopped washing with soap. Different causes for different people.

IF your worried about hormone levels, broccoli and cauliflour are a great way to naturaly boost testosterone levels over a longer period of time.
Old 21-09-2011, 02:03 AM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
You could try to make sure organic soy is used int he products.

Otherwise (and im not being disrespecful, im being honest), you may need some fish or eggs to suppliment the protien loss. But im not a nutritionist.

There is protein in lots if not most foods in varying amounts. Just because she doesn't want to use soy doesn't mean she has to start using animal products. The key always is a varied diet that includes pulses and grains and beans and seeds.
Old 21-09-2011, 02:51 AM
Time

YEah, but soy is used in vegan products because of the amount of plant protien it offers. Its a suppliment without having to take the suppliment ( you still should IMO, but weve been through that:P ). The only thing is soy is in almost every vegan dish is it not? Hence why I suggested some animal products, because you wont be getting nearly the proper diet removing the soy products.
Old 21-09-2011, 10:38 AM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
YEah, but soy is used in vegan products because of the amount of plant protien it offers. Its a suppliment without having to take the suppliment ( you still should IMO, but weve been through that:P ). The only thing is soy is in almost every vegan dish is it not? Hence why I suggested some animal products, because you wont be getting nearly the proper diet removing the soy products.

What kind of vegan dishes are you talking about? May I suggest that just for fun, you do a Google search for vegan recipes? There are so many recipes now that people have worked out that are delicious and nourishing and that don't use soy.

Of course you may be referencing the meat substitutes that some use and all I can say to that is that hopefully, as they mature as vegans that they will realize that there are better ways to eat. Mind you, the same can be said for all the meat eaters who willing eat baked goods, canned and boxed stuff, and bottles of stuff (without reading labels the way most vegans do) and are getting a horrendous amount of soy. As you know, there is soy in the majority of products on supermarket shelves.

http://www.veganchef.com/
http://foodgawker.com/post/category/vegan/ Most of these are vegan and only one on the first page uses tofu. There are even pictures to tempt you!
http://busycooks.about.com/od/meatle...iemeatloaf.htm

plus many more individual recipes and a great many of the common recipes can be veganised. Did you know that you can make a first class brownie out of black beans? Or that cocoa added to whipped frozen bananas (plus a couple other ingredients) tastes just like chocolate ice cream? I even have a cookie recipe that doesn't use eggs or butter and it is so good, I dare you not to just eat the dough without baking it! So you don't have to eat meat or soy to have a totally tasty and nourishing assortment of foods to eat.