Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 04-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Knower
Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe of Wildwood
thanks :] wasn't sure. I sometimes say things that don't fit what tradition states. Also, you can't always trust the internet, which is unfortunately where I get nearly all my information.
I agree with not being able to trust the internet - there are a few books around that have information on Wicca a good one i have is Spells & charms by Soraya. I've found it so maybe it could help you aswell?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Master
"A Grimoire for Modern Cunningfolk" by Peter Paddon.

As far as informational books on wicca, stick with properly researched books coming out of British Universities [ my choice - Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits by Emma Wilby ]. Why British ? - go back to the source !
I agree with Hazel, most books on wicca are garbage !
Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Sungirl

I like Marion Green's books, they are a lovely non-pretentious description of her version of witchcraft... Rae Beth's Hedgewitch is also a good starting point.

I also thought the books I read by Scott Cunningham were interesting too.

I often (and maybe wrongly) pick my books by how down to earth the author's name is. "Silver Raven Wolf" or "Titania" simply turn me off because they sound like they are trying too hard to fulfill an image... "Marion Green" sounds like she has nothing to prove just a desire to pass on information and wisdom, which she does beautifully :)

Also, books that want to teach you spellcraft from the start, before they teach you about the repercussions are a no-no to me too. Maybe some people don't believe in something like karma or more classically "the rule of threefold return" but personally I want to know what might be coming back to me before I start doing workings...
Old 04-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Master
" "Silver Raven Wolf" or "Titania"

I was trying to be discrete but you got my meaning exactly !
A thing about repercussions of Craft work is that you create your own fate and your own repercussions. Another thing that come from within, not from outside.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Sungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
A thing about repercussions of Craft work is that you create your own fate and your own repercussions. Another thing that come from within, not from outside.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree with that one
Old 05-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Master
Hiya Tilia
I maybe have a different interpretation of the Lore of Three-Fold Return [ not Law ]
I see that everything you do, returns to you in three areas. Mind, Body, and Spirit or Id, Ego, Superego, or Parent, Adult, Child.
Posted this a while back
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3935
It's all about interpretation I think
Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Sungirl

have to say the "three fold" bit doesn't resonate with me either... I'm a karma girl. I just know that when I do something out of ego, whenever I am a little bit nasty it bites me on the **** one way or another.

As for "law" and "lore".. I'm not a big one for fancy words. I work on the basis of getting the message across in a way that people understand. "lore" makes it sound esoteric and maybe a little mysterious "law" sounds like something someone can understand.

Once again I'm on the "Silver Raven Wolf" or "Marion Green" concept. One turns me off, one makes it sound accessible.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Master
Certainly with you on that Fancy titles switch me off rapidly too - High Priestess/Priest of this and that. If that's important to some, join the catholic church !
Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Sungirl

it's like the root of a word, where that word comes from. It doesn't seem important to me. What I need to know is what that word means to the person I am talking to. I am only trying to get a concept across to that person, not someone hundreds of years ago.

Take the word "gay" means something completely different to what it did say 70 years ago.... all that matters now is how the word is interpreted now.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Master
As far as I can work out, the idea of a Three-Fold lore/law came with Gardner and wicca. Certainly did not exist in pagan creeds as far as I can gather. The idea of Consequences most certainly does as part of the Web and the Wheel and the idea that you are responsible for the consequences of your actions. Makes more sense that, to me.