Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 01-11-2018, 10:38 PM
Ascender
I don't call them dead. Some are guides. I was trained in these churches. It was super helpful 28 years ago to find one!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 PM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCreativeSpirit
I don't call them dead. Some are guides. I was trained in these churches. It was super helpful 28 years ago to find one!

On another of my regular sites we've started saying "Those we used to say were dead....". It's a bit of a mouthful but makes the point for folk who don't yet fully understand that death is not the end of things.

Guides/teachers/helpers are a different issue altogether, though.

I'm glad you found the Modern Spiritualist church network helpful. At its best it can be a life-saver and its teachings provide a base for spiritual learning and understanding.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:08 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea
Are you aware that the spiritualist movement have their own churches,their own ministers?
Spiritualist ministers can conduct services for instance funeral services?
To me that is a religion.

Deepsea.

Thank you. I know a bit about Spiritualism because I grew up with it - nearly 6 decades ago now. My mother and my grandmother were both Spiritualists and as a teenager I had the magnificent experience of attending several honest-to-gosh seances. They were fabulous, and definitely not fake.

So yes, there was a lot of talking to dead people -- and our spirit guides -- but there most definitely was a very beautiful (IMO) philosophy - or Statement of Principles - that went along with that as well as prayer, hymns, sermons, etc: -- oops, can't post links until I have 15 posts. Oh well, it's Wikipedia, National Spiritualist Association of Churches

So Spiritualism is very much a religion, though I suppose movement is an apt term too. In fact, that term brings up the best google info. And here's a bit of history: (a BBC article listed in google search results)

I think there are still a few pockets left here and there -- a camp in Florida and one in Indiana, probably New York where it all began. These are sweet little retreat areas where people can go. I grew up in Illinois so was able to attend Camp Chesterfield in Indiana a couple of times with my mother. Just stepping onto the grounds was a healing experience. You're engulfed with the deepest, most profound sense of peace imaginable. My deepest meditations haven't produced quite that level of peace since.

That same Wikipedia page reports this: Membership: In 2002 the association reported 144 member congregations. There are ten state associations and 11 camps. There were also four affiliated congregations of the National Spiritualist Churches of Canada in Ontario and Quebec.

Times have changed, so very much. In those days (my youth), mediums had to go into a trance to channel Spirit. Nowadays with Earth having ascended as much as she has, trance is unnecessary, thank heaven, and most of us can learn to channel for ourselves if we choose to.

------------------------------
I sure enjoyed this opportunity to revisit those memories of my youth. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:50 PM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellesfleurs
Thank you. I know a bit about Spiritualism because I grew up with it - nearly 6 decades ago now. My mother and my grandmother were both Spiritualists and as a teenager I had the magnificent experience of attending several honest-to-gosh seances. They were fabulous, and definitely not fake.

So yes, there was a lot of talking to dead people -- and our spirit guides -- but there most definitely was a very beautiful (IMO) philosophy - or Statement of Principles - that went along with that as well as prayer, hymns, sermons, etc: -- oops, can't post links until I have 15 posts. Oh well, it's Wikipedia, National Spiritualist Association of Churches

So Spiritualism is very much a religion, though I suppose movement is an apt term too. In fact, that term brings up the best google info. And here's a bit of history: (a BBC article listed in google search results)

I think there are still a few pockets left here and there -- a camp in Florida and one in Indiana, probably New York where it all began. These are sweet little retreat areas where people can go. I grew up in Illinois so was able to attend Camp Chesterfield in Indiana a couple of times with my mother. Just stepping onto the grounds was a healing experience. You're engulfed with the deepest, most profound sense of peace imaginable. My deepest meditations haven't produced quite that level of peace since.

That same Wikipedia page reports this: Membership: In 2002 the association reported 144 member congregations. There are ten state associations and 11 camps. There were also four affiliated congregations of the National Spiritualist Churches of Canada in Ontario and Quebec.

Times have changed, so very much. In those days (my youth), mediums had to go into a trance to channel Spirit. Nowadays with Earth having ascended as much as she has, trance is unnecessary, thank heaven, and most of us can learn to channel for ourselves if we choose to.

It's a shame that Modern Spiritualism is so little seen in the USA where it has its roots. Nowhere near as much as in the UK where we enjoy a network of local churches and centres with mediums demonstrating evidential mediumship. It's very much a religion but it's equally a philosophy to underpin our understanding of life incarnate.

Whether modern-day 'channeling' and/or do-it-yourself courses intended to bring about TDC is anywhere-near equivalent to the evidential-mediumship of previous decades is moot.

Last edited by Native spirit : 23-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 23-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Master
It's a shame that Modern Spiritualism is so little seen in the USA where it has its roots. Nowhere near as much as in the UK where we enjoy a network of local churches and centres with mediums demonstrating evidential mediumship. It's very much a religion but it's equally a philosophy to underpin our understanding of life incarnate.

Whether modern-day 'channeling' and/or do-it-yourself courses intended to bring about TDC is anywhere-near equivalent to the evidential-mediumship of previous decades is moot.[/quote]

Back in 1998 (the 150th anniversary of modern day spiritualism) I visited
the area where modern day spiritualism began. There were no celebrations.

Modern day Spiritualism and the Women's movement began in the same area. As
I was leaving the area, Hillary Clinton arrived for the Women's Movement celeration.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Last edited by Native spirit : 23-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 23-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellesfleurs

I have been to Camp Chesterfield numerous times.

Did you ever spend the night there?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 23-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville

Whether modern-day 'channeling' and/or do-it-yourself courses intended to bring about TDC is anywhere-near equivalent to the evidential-mediumship of previous decades is moot.

One of several reasons that I often wish I lived in the UK rather than the US.
Old 23-08-2019, 02:54 PM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Behind
One of several reasons that I often wish I lived in the UK rather than the US.

Even here, J, fings ain't wot they used to be although they're still better than in the US as far as Modern Spiritualism is concerned.

Maybe you could treat yourself to a trip now the $US is so strong against the £GBP and visit some of our circuit churches? Just to experience what they're about.
Old 23-08-2019, 02:58 PM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn

Quote:
Back in 1998 (the 150th anniversary of modern day spiritualism) I visited the area where modern day spiritualism began. There were no celebrations.

Modern day Spiritualism and the Women's movement began in the same area. As I was leaving the area, Hillary Clinton arrived for the Women's Movement celeration.

I'm always surprised how few Americans are even aware of Modern Spiritualism let alone know that it has its roots in Hydesville, NY.
Old 23-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville
Even here, J, fings ain't wot they used to be although they're still better than in the US as far as Modern Spiritualism is concerned.

Maybe you could treat yourself to a trip now the $US is so strong against the £GBP and visit some of our circuit churches? Just to experience what they're about.

You know. . . I've been to England 4 times. The first 3 trips were with my wife: and I didn't become interested in Spiritualism until she passed on. The 4th time was afterwards, but the trip was with a group tour that had been arranged and paid for before her death. Time was completely booked in: no time for me to do anything on my own.

Today, I'm too old and tired, and broke and broke-down to go anywhere! But I do keep in touch with some UK Spiritualists via the internet, and have been given terrific messages.