Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 14-07-2019, 01:23 AM
Pathfinder
Hypocrisy And The Grouchy Lady At Work

So, I had a bit of a bad experience with a customer at work who was a self-proclaimed Christian. (I just wanna state though, that most Christians I know are lovely, wonderful peeps, and I know there are rough eggs in every group of people)

I posted this to my Facebook Page- so I'll just copy and paste my post:

I was a little hurt, today, by somethin’ a customer said.
And I think it surprised ME- even. I think of myself as a heck of a lot tougher than I seem- but I still felt that little ache in my heart.
Like a stab.

She treated me like an object, basically- It was horribly busy, and I was tryna be optimistic, you know, as hectic as it was...!
And instead of giving me back my scanning device (Which I need to do my job) she said,

“Do a little dance, then I’ll give it back!” And she laughed and said to someone in the car, “I love treating them like minions. Keeps them in their place”

But ya know what? That wasn’t what bothered me the MOST.

When loading her car, I saw a little plaque that read, “Ye are the salt of the earth- Matthew 5:13-16” With a little cross beside it.

I wanted to tell her, “Lady, you are as far from ’salt of the Earth’ as possible-“
And In fact, I’m pretty sure Jesus would have chased her from the church, just like he did the corrupt people of the temples.

But, I’m a lot calmer about it, as the day’s gone on, and I’m able to joke about it- ��
She’s not salt... she’s a...a cruddy seasoning.
She’s BASIL (Nobody likes basil a whole lot, right?) She’s BASIL, not SALT!

-End of post.

So...yes...I think hypocrisy in any situation bothers me- when someone professes to believe in something, but their behavior kinda...well, leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm trying to send this person love and light, though, and to look at it in a humorous- rather than an upset- light.
Old 14-07-2019, 12:31 PM
ImthatIm

I never turn down a chance to dance.

Here is the Serenity prayer.
Quote:
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

I am sure this type of thing will happen again.
All we can do is accept people as they are and change our response to them.
Old 14-07-2019, 02:04 PM
Administrator
If someone had spoken to me like that I would have asked them what right they had to treat people like that ,I bet they wouldn't have been able to answer you.
people who think they are better than others always get their cumuppance in time.

Namaste
Old 14-07-2019, 05:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat
So, I had a bit of a bad experience with a customer at work who was a self-proclaimed Christian. (I just wanna state though, that most Christians I know are lovely, wonderful peeps, and I know there are rough eggs in every group of people)

And I think it surprised ME- even. I think of myself as a heck of a lot tougher than I seem- but I still felt that little ache in my heart.
Like a stab.

She treated me like an object, basically- It was horribly busy, and I was tryna be optimistic, you know, as hectic as it was...!
And instead of giving me back my scanning device (Which I need to do my job) she said,

“Do a little dance, then I’ll give it back!” And she laughed and said to someone in the car, “I love treating them like minions. Keeps them in their place”

When loading her car, I saw a little plaque that read, “Ye are the salt of the earth- Matthew 5:13-16” With a little cross beside it.

I wanted to tell her, “Lady, you are as far from ’salt of the Earth’ as possible-“
And In fact, I’m pretty sure Jesus would have chased her from the church, just like he did the corrupt people of the temples.

But, I’m a lot calmer about it, as the day’s gone on, and I’m able to joke about it- ��

-End of post.

So...yes...I think hypocrisy in any situation bothers me- when someone professes to believe in something, but their behavior kinda...well, leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm trying to send this person love and light, though, and to look at it in a humorous- rather than an upset- light.

Don't allow ignorant Customers to treat you like your a doormat for them to wipe their nastiness on.
Be a little more assertive while retaining politeness

Don't carry it around with you and allow them to upset you, put it down to an experience that has passed and move on....
Old 14-07-2019, 08:45 PM
Master

Quote:

Like a stab.

-End of post.

things could be a heck of a lot worse, you could be her!
maybe you did the right thing in not saying anything
there's this scripture that is just oddly appealing to me

"we take no interest in them when they malign us. And we ignore them when they curse us. When they cast shame in our face, we look at them and do not speak. For they work at their business, but we go about in hunger and in thirst, looking toward our dwelling-place, the place which our conduct and our conscience look toward, not clinging to the things which have come into being, but withdrawing from them. Our hearts are set on the things that exist, though we are ill and feeble and in pain. But there is a great strength hidden within us."
Old 19-07-2019, 09:21 PM
ketzer

Quote:
So, I had a bit of a bad experience with a customer at work who was a self-proclaimed Christian. ....

I know what ya mean! I don't like hypocrisy either, especially when it comes from me, which is much more often than I like to admit. But I suppose anyone who claims to be a follower of Jesus is bound to be quite the hypocrite now and again. Tough standard to live up to. And of course the meaning of the word Christian... well it seems that is one of the things Christians love to fight about. Luckily there are so many takes on what that means everyone can find one off the shelf to fit them as they are, no need to drop a few pounds. I sometimes wonder if claiming piety, which so often goes hand in hand with hypocrisy, is the cause or the result of the hypocrisy. Integrity (as in behaving in line with your inner beliefs and convictions) is a hard thing for anyone to do. Perhaps once one solves this difficulty by using hypocrisy, the split has been made and it becomes easier to deny parts of oneself than it is to change them. Perhaps the "road to hell" (so to speak) is not only wide, but is a nice downhill glide to the bottom as well (if that is where one wants to go).
Old 03-08-2019, 02:46 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
I never turn down a chance to dance.

Here is the Serenity prayer.

I am sure this type of thing will happen again.
All we can do is accept people as they are and change our response to them.

Very good point!! (^__^) Since it's been a little while since that happened with the lady, I'm able to giggle it the craziness of the whole thing, now!

Sometimes, on my way to work, I murmur that line from T.S. Eliot,

"Teach me to care and not to care,
Teach me to be still."
Old 03-08-2019, 02:47 AM
Pathfinder
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
If someone had spoken to me like that I would have asked them what right they had to treat people like that ,I bet they wouldn't have been able to answer you.
people who think they are better than others always get their cumuppance in time.

Namaste

A very good point! I definitely agree~
Old 03-08-2019, 02:50 AM
Pathfinder
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Don't allow ignorant Customers to treat you like your a doormat for them to wipe their nastiness on.
Be a little more assertive while retaining politeness

Don't carry it around with you and allow them to upset you, put it down to an experience that has passed and move on....

You're right! Funny thing is, I actually even forgot I posted about this event, on here! (^__^) I'm able to look at it a lot more humorously, now- and I haven't even seen that customer since this happened!
Old 03-08-2019, 02:53 AM
Pathfinder
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
I know what ya mean! I don't like hypocrisy either, especially when it comes from me, which is much more often than I like to admit. But I suppose anyone who claims to be a follower of Jesus is bound to be quite the hypocrite now and again. Tough standard to live up to. And of course the meaning of the word Christian... well it seems that is one of the things Christians love to fight about. Luckily there are so many takes on what that means everyone can find one off the shelf to fit them as they are, no need to drop a few pounds. I sometimes wonder if claiming piety, which so often goes hand in hand with hypocrisy, is the cause or the result of the hypocrisy. Integrity (as in behaving in line with your inner beliefs and convictions) is a hard thing for anyone to do. Perhaps once one solves this difficulty by using hypocrisy, the split has been made and it becomes easier to deny parts of oneself than it is to change them. Perhaps the "road to hell" (so to speak) is not only wide, but is a nice downhill glide to the bottom as well (if that is where one wants to go).

Those are some words of wisdom, and they made me think! I'm sure I have my own moments, when I am not my best self, for sure!
Definitely food for thought, and I liked the analogy to the well.