Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 23-07-2019, 10:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
I was not talking about you, I really can't understand why some people feel like trying to disapprove the core teachings of a belief...

I doubt your comment was directed toward me, but I was curious if either list of the 10 commandments is a replica of what Moses delivered to the people.

Secondly, why are there two different list?
Old 23-07-2019, 10:55 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
I was not talking about you, I really can't understand why some people feel like trying to disapprove the core teachings of a belief... I am a christian myself and I never felt such desire to disapprove people's beliefs.. and I met face to face with people that had a different belief than mine.. I have this belief of mine that if a person has a good heart, then there's no problem to talk with such a person.I must say that the muslims were the most friendly people I ever met and I was a christian among many muslims.

This is the problem, some people make an obsession for their belief and others make an obsession against the belief of other people and this is how bad things happen in the name of religion.

ah thanks that man i agree with you, and sometimes its difficult when faced with certain realities to be positive with so much negativity around. talking about muslims something i will never forget is once i was driving on a motorway and suddenly this caravan jackknifed a few cars ahead and spun around on its twin axles. everyone stopped and i was thinking about getting out to help but by the time i stopped the guys in the cars ahead were already out and pushing the car and caravan to safety, and i knew i would only be getting in the way. it was the right choice. those guys acted as if they had been trained to do it it was amazing, in less than 30 seconds job done. cars were already starting to snake past and suddenly a muslim woman ran past my car desperate to help. it might not have been the wisest move but i never forget this good selfless act, sure anyone might have done that but i recon it was also a sign of what islam meant to her and it still impresses me every time i think about it. things like this just sort of speak a kind of truth all of it's own maybe on some other level of reality i don't know
Old 23-07-2019, 11:32 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I doubt your comment was directed toward me, but I was curious if either list of the 10 commandments is a replica of what Moses delivered to the people.

Secondly, why are there two different list?

Exodus 34:1 "And the LORD said unto Moses, Cut out two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which you broke.

Exodus 34:27 "And the Lord said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel."

So the LORD said to Moses that HE is going to write down the commandments and then HE tells Moses to write down all that the LORD has said before Exodus 34:27(34:1-26), in other words, those are not the ten commandments, but an addition to them, in other words, more details about them.

Deuteronomy 10:4 ( checj Deuteronomy 10:1-5) "And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the Lord spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the Lord gave them unto me."

Hence the "he" and the "Lord" in the verse above, it's not reffering to Moses because "the Lord gave them unto me", the tablets were at the "Lord" because he wrote on them.

There are no two sets, the ten commandments were not changed after Moses broke the first tables, it's clear the they were the same, check Exodus 34:1 and read until you reach Exodus 34:27.

Now, some will go to Exodus 34:28 "And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments."

"And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments." - some would say that this is reffering to Moses but how is this even possbile when it clearly states that the Lord wrote them on the tables, this would be a contradiction, right? Do you think that the one who wrote down those words was not able to see the contradiction?

Check Exodus 34:10 "And he said, Behold, I make a covenant: before all thy people I will do marvels, such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation: and all the people among which thou art shall see the work of the Lord: for it is a terrible thing that I will do with thee."

Hence again that "he" with small letters, what about it now? It's not clear that it was that HE, always check the context because without a context you can create all sorts of distortions.

Just a bit of study and you have your answer.
Old 24-07-2019, 04:52 AM
Master
Interesting discussion.

But the original poster questioned the version of the 10 commandments found at Exodus 20 and Exodus 34.

Most people question the version at Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5.

If you look at the Hebrew words in Exodus 20,Exodus 34, and Deuteronomy 5 it does seems to be the same writer.

For example:
Dealing with a jealous God
Exodus 20:5 says "for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God"
the Lord is Yahweh
thy God is El

Exodus 34:14 says "the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God"
the Lord is Yahweh
jealous God is El

Deuteronomy 5:8 says " I the Lord thy God am a jealous God:
the Lord is again Yahweh
and the jealous God is El.

What I found interesting with the Deuteronomy account is the event took place on Mount Horeb (Deuteronomy 5:2). In Exodus 19:20 the event was at Mount Sinai. Mount Sinai and Mount Horeb are the same or almost the same place.

Hard to believe the 'burning bush' event and the acceptance of the 10 commandments occurred at or near the same place!