Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 23-02-2011, 07:22 AM
s0ultraveller

Question Brahmacharya practice

Hello Friends,

Nice to meet you all. I am new to this forum and joined today.
I would like to know and share experiences of people practicing Brahmacharya. I have started practicing just 2 months before and I already feel the tremendous improvement in me.

Please feel free to share your experiences and also your daily yoga/pranayama/meditation practices for keep up with Brahmacharya. Would be interested to know mainly about the problems faced after starting Brahmacharya.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Om Sivayanama
Soul Traveller
Old 23-02-2011, 07:22 PM
cotexmcs

Hari Om!

It's a pleasure to meet someone else on the path.

My main issue is working with thoughts. Not lust especially, but I used to tell myself when seeing someone "That person is interesting" then "we are all interesting" followed by "it doesn't matter". I'm trying to even get away from this train of thoughts to where there is detachment if possible (and if suggested) in the first place. I've been practicing the celibacy part for nearly 5 years and feel great as a result. Just, as noted above, need to work on the thought processes and get direction from others on the path and hopefully an enlightened guru someday if I'm fortunate enough.

In terms of meditation, I haven't done much work with the chakras but feel that it has come naturally in many respects.

I hope that this answers some of your questions. I'd love to hear more about you and your journey as well as those of others.

A book that I found recently that has some great info and hope this provides some insights as well. Since I'm a new member, you'll have to PM me for the URL.

Om Namah Sivaya
Old 23-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Master

Hello,

Sri Ramakrishna told his disciples (who were male) to approach all women by either looking only at their feet, or by feeling that they (women) are one's mother.

A bit awkward perhaps for most if taken literally, although I'll bet effective for the strict practitioner (and Ramakrishna as an example was certainly that). And for others, the symbolism of these suggested practices itself is revealing of a useful perspective as a guide, even if not immediately or consistently attainable.

~ J
Old 24-02-2011, 03:30 AM
s0ultraveller

Thanks for the reply friends.

cotexmcs: I am sure it would have been a great journey so far for 5 years in Celibacy.

I will share my daily practices if it can be useful for anyone.

1. Take cold bath.
2. Wake up atleast 5am in morning.
3. Do some basic yoga warm up and I regularly do Sarvangasana & matsyasana. If I practice Yoga in morning I do Pranayama in evening.
4. Pranayama i) Bhastrika ii) Kapalabathi iii) Moola bandha iv) Jalandhara bandha v) Udhiyana bandha vi) anulom viloma / Nadi shudhi vii) brahmari pranayama each for 3-5 minutes.
5. Meditate for 30 minutes.
6. Prayers to God and Guru without fail since without their grace we cannot keep up Brahmacharya.
7. I read that without yoga, pranayama & meditation it is not advisable to practice Brahmacharya since we need to channel energy upwards using them. at least mediation should be done to keep our senses and mind in control during brahmacharya else we never know when we might fall into the pit again.
8. I don't get interested with any opposite sex when I see them and I could feel the difference now and before.
9. I take only vegetarian food and mostly avoid garlic & onion.

The above are points i read in few books as well I practice them. I was also able to feel more physical power during this 2 months and I am able to do workout more and lift heavy objects easily in Gym. I would like to know others inputs and techniques to keep up Brahmacharya.

Have a nice day.
Love you all.
Old 24-02-2011, 10:11 AM
murugan

As Swami Sivananda said,

Practice of Brahmacharya gives good health, inner strength, peace of mind and long life. It invigorates the mind and nerves. It helps to conserve physical and mental energy. It augments memory, will force and brain power. It bestows tremendous strength, vigour and vitality. Strength and fortitude are obtained... He who is established in Brahmacharya will have lustrous eyes, a sweet voice and a beautiful complexion.
Old 24-02-2011, 10:57 AM
s0ultraveller

I have read book "practise of brahmacharya" by Swami Sivananda. Very good one and lots of practical techniques given. I have ordered a new book "Brain Gain by His Holiness Danavir Goswami" and just waiting to get in my hand. The journey seems to be wonderful.
Old 27-02-2011, 07:44 AM
aghora

tulsidas was a householder married to ratnavali. he was so very attached to her that once when she went to visit her parents he could not bear the separation. pining to meet her, he mistook a corpse for a log of wood which he used to cross a river in spate; he also mistook a snake for a creeper which he used to hoist himself upto her chamber. then ratnavali chided him “haad mams ki deh yah, ta mein itni preeti, hoti jo raghu-ram mein to mati jati bhav bheeti” (your attachment to this body made of flesh and bones if directed towards devotion for sri ram would help you overcome this samsara!) this transformed tulsidas who then scripted the ram charit manas with the grace of sri ram. this episode shows that even a man full of lust can easily overcome the same by bhakti i.e. devotion to god.
on the other hand, vishwamitra who practiced austerities for thousands of years was easily enticed by menaka because he was torturing his body to attain the status of vashisth i.e. brahma rishi.
i think self restraint (thru practices described by you), cultivation of knowledge by reading bhagvad gita and grace of god (attained thru unstinted bhakti i.e. nish-kama bhakti) are all important ingredients but nish-kama bhakti is the most important because the lord says in the gita that my devotee easily overcomes all tribulations of samsara (to locate exact chapter and verse).
certain relevant quotes from bhagvad gita are as under –
chapter 3 verse 42 “the senses are superior to sense objects, the mind is superior to the senses, superior to the mind is the intellect. superior even to the intellect is the self.”
chapter 5 verse 22 “o son of kunti, the wise do not rejoice in sensual pleasures. this is because they know that these have a beginning and end very soon. they know that sense pleasures are the birth place of pain.”
chapter 16 verse 21 “there are 3 gates that lead to hell: lust, anger and greed. these should be abandoned as they corrupt the soul.”
also relevant are chapter 2 verse 62-63 (which describes how attachment to sense objects breeds desire, frustration, delusion etc), chapter 3 verse 37 (which describes how lust and anger are one’s enemies) and chapter 4 verse 43 (which describes how to overcome lust thru knowledge of the self)
Old 28-02-2011, 12:54 PM
s0ultraveller

Thanks for the wonderful explanation above. I agree there is nothing bigger than surrendering to God's name and under his lotus feet but even it is mentioned every where in scripts to observe continence so we can go more higher in spiritual world. I guess we need to take a extra step to go closer to the self realization. I pray to Lord Shiva to give me the strength to me and everyone who practice Brahmacharya to be more strong in that and over come the difficulties.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:19 AM
aghora

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ultraveller
Thanks for the wonderful explanation above. I agree there is nothing bigger than surrendering to God's name and under his lotus feet but even it is mentioned every where in scripts to observe continence so we can go more higher in spiritual world. I guess we need to take a extra step to go closer to the self realization. I pray to Lord Shiva to give me the strength to me and everyone who practice Brahmacharya to be more strong in that and over come the difficulties.

further, according to esoteric scriptures, the process of ageing and death is attributed to loss of reproductive fluid. all food ingested is converted into sapt dhatu which include blood, plasma, muscle, marrow, and most subtle of all - the reproductive fluid. conserving the same results in accumulation of ojas and confers upon the accomplished practiotioner a halo. i have read that the reproductive fluid of accomplished brahmacharis acquires a fibrous tenacity unlike that of mere mortals which is in liquid state...
Old 01-03-2011, 09:08 AM
aghora

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ultraveller

a successful brahmachari reaches a stage when he is referred to as urdhvareta - i.e. instead of downward flow of the reproductive fluid, he/ she is able to reverse the flow. i came across several webpages of which i read 2 and liked the (links provided for your reference - en.allexperts.com/q/Celibacy-Abstinence-3564/2010/7/Changes-Urdhvareta.htm and naturalmeditation.net/.../Yoga%20and%20Celibacy_web.pdf) trust u will find them useful