Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 08-04-2020, 02:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
Television is the best teacher of all. If you are dead serious about learning about life its far wiser to stay home all day and watch t.v. and play video games.

Lets us see how fortunate we are. There was a pandemic in 1918, the Spanish Flu, which killed 25-million people worldwide. They did not have T.V., video games, computers, the internet, cell phones, and a lot of other things we have today. All they had in 1918 was AM radio that only had two or three stations, which gave them most of their information, books, and telling each other stories from mouth to ear. Especially adults telling kids those type of stories. That's how they survived isolation back then, and go back even further to other pandemics where they had even less than that. We are very fortunate today to have the tech, including T.V., which we have today during this pandemic.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Lets us see how fortunate we are. There was a pandemic in 1918, the Spanish Flu, which killed 25-million people worldwide. They did not have T.V., video games, computers, the internet, cell phones, and a lot of other things we have today. All they had in 1918 was AM radio that only had two or three stations, which gave them most of their information, books, and telling each other stories from mouth to ear. Especially adults telling kids those type of stories. That's how they survived isolation back then, and go back even further to other pandemics where they had even less than that. We are very fortunate today to have the tech, including T.V., which we have today during this pandemic.

Very true. We are definitely very fortunate. Even without a pandemic. You will obtain far more wisdom in life by watching Bruce Willis and Steven Seagal movies than by being out in the world or reading trivial books like Socrates or Eckhart Tolle which only makes one frivolous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
Everything one needs to know about life can be learned from Homer Simpson and Al Bundy.

Exactly!!! Hit the nail on the head. Those are the true sages, spiritual masters of life. We all should follow their lifestyle to live at our full potential.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Very true. We are definitely very fortunate. Even without a pandemic. You will obtain far more wisdom in life by watching Bruce Willis and Steven Seagal movies than by being out in the world or reading trivial books like Socrates or Eckhart Tolle which only makes one frivolous.

Each to their own but I think it depends on what a person wants to learn.
Some may think Bruce Willis and Steven Seagal, with all their violence,
are frivolous. We live in a world with great diversity and that includes differing
opinions. I have wondered what it would be like if everyone in this world
thought the same way. Everyone who watches the same show on T.V. does not
arrive at the same conclusions about that show. Nonetheless, I do think that a
lot of people do learn things from watching T.V., they just may not learn the
same things, and some may not learn anything at all.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Television is the best teacher of all. If you are dead serious about learning about life its far wiser to stay home all day and watch t.v. and play video games.

Sure, as long as it doesn't get repetitive, which is a challenge with both TV and games. That's the worst thing about being forced to stay at home (don't get me started about ''groceries'', that's a slog), every day can feel the same. A few times I had to ask myself twice what day it was...
Old 08-04-2020, 04:10 PM
Master

The only things I learn from a television come from the History or NatGeo channel. A movie?
Old 08-04-2020, 04:21 PM
Master
Old 09-04-2020, 01:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Sure, as long as it doesn't get repetitive, which is a challenge with both TV and games. That's the worst thing about being forced to stay at home (don't get me started about ''groceries'', that's a slog), every day can feel the same. A few times I had to ask myself twice what day it was...

I relate to what you have said as a retiree. I was used to working 40 or more hours weekly and then I retired, and everyday seemed like Saturday. Some days, even now, I did not know what day it was. For me being creative is key. I do not watch much T.V., and I do agree with the repetitive thing. The saying is that the difference between a rut and a grave is the depth, or how deep you are in it.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexi-Girl
How many times have you tried to teach someone a fundamental truth? You've been there, done that, and you know inside out what you're speaking of, and still they don't get it. Likewise, you can't necessarily understand what someone else is speaking of because you haven't been in their situation. You're missing all the sensory data. Your picture is incomplete, and there is too much room for error in comprehension.

I could speak all day about the taste of chocolate, and those who've tasted it in the past might be enticed as their memories practically recreate the experience, but even those with the best imaginations cannot comprehend the taste of chocolate without the sensory experience.

It's both good and bad that we use words to convey information. They're like looking at a map of the terrain vs feet on the ground. That's why so often I have to be careful with my words. Those who know, know. They will get it with fewest of words. Those who don't know cannot know until they have the experience.
yes I tried a lot. Many people tried to teach me as well. But you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. In all those lessons i learned to guide not to teach. You may love the flavor of chocolate, but someone may hate it. You'll never be able to teach them to like it or have anything to do with it. But if you guide them leaving the lesson to themselves at least they'll think about it. Thinking about it is better than totally rejecting the idea
Old 09-04-2020, 01:41 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
I am sure I learned more from my students than my students learned from me.
It was the same when I worked in the medical field with patients; I learned more
from them, whether they were well or sick, or dying, they were my teachers.

I have had a great many experiences in my life related to the behavioral and social
sciences. What we go through in life, if we really learn from, becomes as acquired
skills which we can pass on to others if they are receptive.

But people learn in different ways, not everyone learns from their experiences,
and they keep repeating the same hurtful experiences over and over, and hopefully
eventually they do learn from them, but some never do.

I haven't taken any classes but I make it a point to study and observe human behavior. It makes it easier to navigate the world.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:41 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexi-Girl
I haven't taken any classes but I make it a point to study and observe human behavior. It makes it easier to navigate the world.
Human behavior is my specialty!!!!! Really