Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 14-08-2019, 01:40 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
you don't have to believe in any of the tenets. The very premise is, one has to look for themselves to see what is true or untrue.

I wonder if that tenet or premise could also be discarded. Maybe looking is not required nor is determining what is true or not. All of that seems mental or of the mind.
Old 16-08-2019, 12:02 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Same here.

The Theraveda Buddhist I know,
all resonate with animism.

Do you?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 16-08-2019, 02:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The Theraveda Buddhist I know,
all resonate with animism.

Do you?

I don't relate to animism or other forms of symbology because I was schooled in mindfulness, which is observation, but little to no imagination. We had no iconography such as images of Buddha or visualisations of lamas etc, and were taught to 'just observe' the experience as it is.
Old 16-08-2019, 03:23 AM
Deactivated Account

If everything has conscious energy at it's core, it's possible "what is" supports animism belief. One could perceive it at higher levels of being.

Quote:
animism perceives all things—animals, plants, rocks, rivers, weather systems, human handiwork and perhaps even words—as animated and alive.
Old 16-08-2019, 03:31 AM
Master
That is how I look at it.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 16-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Master
Early Buddhists adopted many traditions from local culture and Animism was definitely included in their beliefs according to some Suttas which also show that Buddha encouraged his Disciples to respect ' Customs of old '.
Old 18-08-2019, 06:46 AM
Master
I have experienced foreigners in Buddhist countries that like Buddhism but can not stand the animism part.

As for me, I really enjoy the animism aspect.

Old 19-08-2019, 01:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I don't relate to animism or other forms of symbology because I was schooled in mindfulness, which is observation, but little to no imagination. We had no iconography such as images of Buddha or visualisations of lamas etc, and were taught to 'just observe' the experience as it is.
In animist cultures – direct experiences of “Reality What Is” …. ARE multidimensional and animistic.

Westerners imagine it to be 'symbolism' or fantasy reality like in European fairy tales.

Old 19-08-2019, 02:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
In animist cultures – direct experiences of “Reality What Is” …. ARE multidimensional and animistic.

Westerners imagine it to be 'symbolism' or fantasy reality like in European fairy tales.

There was no emphasis on animism in the tradition I'm familiar with, and it isn't noticeably prominent in the Canon, so I have little to no idea what it's about.
Old 19-08-2019, 10:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
There was no emphasis on animism in the tradition I'm familiar with, and it isn't noticeably prominent in the Canon, so I have little to no idea what it's about.

What about when you lived in PNG? Any small magical moments?
Quote:
Animism in Papua New Guinea
Indigenous religions still practiced in Papua New Guinea are most often associated with Animism, or a belief system based on all things, including animals, inanimate objects, plants, and rocks being alive.
Most Papua New Guineans are animists.

I think nondual experiences could also be described as 'souls overlapping':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5HcLFyPkYs