Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Crystals & Gemstones

Old 03-07-2019, 05:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylmar
I was given a lot of hydrothermal gems as a gift recently. Basically they are gems but they are labgrown. They are made of the same material though as in nature and the growth methods are replicated. Instead of growing over millions of years they grow in months under immense heat and pressure in tubes.

Personally I would never have bought them but as a present I welcomed them in my collection. They are so shiny and sparkly!
I can see why a lot of people will be put off by them and I doubt they'll have any metaphysical value although some books mention Syberian Blue Quartz which is also labgrown. Another thing is that by growing gems this way nature doesn't get disrupted as no mining is needed. That is a good thing.

I think I'll need some more time with them to think about thow I feel about hydrothermals. They sure are pretty, photos don't do them justice at all.

It used to be, people really believed in Alchemy and believed the Alchemist was one of the greatest........

Now people can do and do better what nature can do.......
Old 03-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
It used to be, people really believed in Alchemy and believed the Alchemist was one of the greatest........

Now people can do and do better what nature can do.......
Indeed. Our ancestors wouldn't be able to believe what is possible now.

It also makes me think about how we aquire our beloved crystals and stones now. There is no denying that there is great value in the crystals we collect and wear. They are marvels of nature created over millions of years. There is something magical being able to hold them in your hand.

At the same time there are a lot of negatives that we often don't choose to think about. A lot of these crystals and stones are being sold for weapons for war causes. Mining is often done by people (and children at times) who do dangerous work and often get underpaid, not being able to make a decent living while others not facing the dangers walk away with the profits.
Also, it often does unreparable damage to nature.
These are uncomfortable things to think about but they are reality.

It made me look different at 'manmade' gems. I'm not quite sure where I stand on them but I have to admit that they are a more ethical choice in a lot of cases. I think they deserve their place and it will be interesting how people will look at this in the future.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Indeed. Our ancestors wouldn't be able to believe what is possible now.

It made me look different at 'manmade' gems. I'm not quite sure where I stand on them but I have to admit that they are a more ethical choice in a lot of cases. I think they deserve their place and it will be interesting how people will look at this in the future.

I have a couple large pieces of Silicon. Silicon is an Element and is not found by itself.... She is always combined with something else.

Another Element is Oxygen. Oxygen is something we all know about because we need to breath it in to our lungs with each breath to stay alive.

Next try combining these two Elements to produce Quartz.

I can't do it. Who can?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Guide

Quote:
I have a couple large pieces of Silicon. Silicon is an Element and is not found by itself.... She is always combined with something else.

Another Element is Oxygen. Oxygen is something we all know about because we need to breath it in to our lungs with each breath to stay alive.

Next try combining these two Elements to produce Quartz.

I can't do it. Who can?
Actually there is Siberian Blue Quartz which is made in a lab. The interesting thing is that it also pops up in respected metaphysical books.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Actually there is Siberian Blue Quartz which is made in a lab. The interesting thing is that it also pops up in respected metaphysical books.

Lab grown quartz crystals that I have seen, are gorgeous.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Guide

Quote:
Lab grown quartz crystals that I have seen, are gorgeous.
The hydrothermals that I got as a present are very vibrant in color and very sparkly. I can see why people like them and are attracted to them.
Old 23-03-2022, 12:49 AM
Seeker
I was very disappointed when I discovered I only have three "natural" Citrine in my entire collection. The rest are heat-treated Amethyst.