Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 11-01-2018, 06:25 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Four Noble Truths: A Teaching

That both I and you have had to travel and trudge through
this long round is owing to our not discovering,
not penetrating four truths. What four?
They are: The Noble Truth of Suffering,
The Noble Truth of the Origin of Suffering,
The Noble Truth of the Cessation of Suffering,
and the Noble Truth of the Way
Leading to the Cessation of Suffering.

Digha Nikaya, Sutta 16

The Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, the Buddha’s teaching on the Four Noble Truths, has been the main reference that I have used for my practice over the years. It is the teaching we used in our monastery in Thailand. The Theravada school of Buddhism regards this sutta as the quintessence of the teaching of the Buddha. This one sutta contains all that is necessary for understanding Dhamma and for enlightenment.

~ Ajahn Sumedho

https://www.amaravati.org/dhamma-boo...-noble-truths/
Old 15-01-2018, 07:42 AM
Master
Yes they are Buddhism in a nutshell, sometimes I get lost in other Suttas but it's good to get back to the essence and stay awhile.

At one time the Blessed One was staying at Kosambii in Si.msapaa Grove.[1] Then the Blessed One, taking a few Si.msapaa leaves in his hand, said to the monks: "What do you think, monks? Which are the more numerous, the few leaves I have here in my hand, or those up in the trees of the grove?"

"Lord, the Blessed One is holding only a few leaves: those up in the trees are far more numerous."

"In the same way, monks, there are many more things that I have found out, but not revealed to you.[2] What I have revealed to you is only a little. And why, monks, have I not revealed it?

"Because, monks, it is not related to the goal, it is not fundamental to the holy life, does not conduce to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, tranquillity, higher knowledge, enlightenment or Nibbaana. That is why I have not revealed it. And what, monks, have I revealed?

"What I have revealed is: 'This is Suffering, this is the Arising of Suffering, this is the Cessation of Suffering, and this is the Path that leads to the Cessation of Suffering.' And why, monks, have I revealed it?

"Because this is related to the goal, fundamental to the holy life, conduces to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, tranquillity, higher knowledge, enlightenment and Nibbaana, therefore I have revealed it.

"Therefore, monks, your task is to learn: 'This is Suffering, this is the Arising of Suffering, this is the Cessation of Suffering, this is the Path that leads to the Cessation of Suffering.' That is your task."
Old 15-01-2018, 08:04 AM
Eelco

I love the Simsapa sutta.
It eliminates all conjecture on what enlightenment could be, how to think about Nibanna, siddhi's, past lifes etc.

Not important.
Just to understand dukkha, the cause of dukkha, its cessation and how to get to the cessation of dukkha.
That is enough to set you free.
Once there There can be myriads of experiences or none..
All that isn't important(yet) as long as we are still suffering.

With Love
Eelco
Old 15-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
I love the Simsapa sutta.
It eliminates all conjecture on what enlightenment could be, how to think about Nibanna, siddhi's, past lifes etc.

Not important.
Just to understand dukkha, the cause of dukkha, its cessation and how to get to the cessation of dukkha.

With Love
Eelco

Yes it's one of my favourites
Old 15-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
That both I and you have had to travel and trudge through
this long round is owing to our not discovering,
not penetrating four truths. What four?
They are: The Noble Truth of Suffering,
The Noble Truth of the Origin of Suffering,
The Noble Truth of the Cessation of Suffering,
and the Noble Truth of the Way
Leading to the Cessation of Suffering.

Digha Nikaya, Sutta 16

The Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, the Buddha’s teaching on the Four Noble Truths, has been the main reference that I have used for my practice over the years. It is the teaching we used in our monastery in Thailand. The Theravada school of Buddhism regards this sutta as the quintessence of the teaching of the Buddha. This one sutta contains all that is necessary for understanding Dhamma and for enlightenment.

~ Ajahn Sumedho

https://www.amaravati.org/dhamma-boo...-noble-truths/

Very inspiring. Also I've also found Ajahn Sumedho to be a lovely teacher. I once got hold of his book 'The way it is' and was sleeping on someones floor for a few weeks reading his book and meditating, it was a wonderful experience. I've been to Amaravati several times when he was the Abbot and it was great. :) Thanks for sharing. Be well :)

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 15-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Yes they are Buddhism in a nutshell, sometimes I get lost in other Suttas but it's good to get back to the essence and stay awhile.

Love ya, sky123.

BT
Old 15-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl

With Love
Eelco

Exactly x1000

In my experience, it is so true that the taste of liberation is so amazing and sweet. I have experienced, before I went back (haha long story) the cessation of all dhammas - it's like that taste of a thousand year whiskey - it's unforgettable. It is complete peace.

I'm constantly amazed at how beautiful the Buddhist teachings are, and how accurate and true the teachings and results are - to a tee.

It's also so true that the place of suffering is exactly the place of liberation so it's an amazing practice - so grounded, so real.

I recall Ajahn Sumedho once saying that in Buddhism dukkha are like heavenly messengers - quite a unique take, but so very true in my limited experience.

I completely agree that things like siddhis, past lives, the bliss of jhanas - nothing compares to truth in Dhamma and freedom from suffering in this lifetime.

Grateful. To you -

BT
Old 15-01-2018, 08:27 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc
Very inspiring. Also I've also found Ajahn Sumedho to be a lovely teacher. I once got hold of his book 'The way it is' and was sleeping on someones floor for a few weeks reading his book and meditating, it was a wonderful experience. I've been to Amaravati several times when he was the Abbot and it was great. :) Thanks for sharing. Be well :)

You're welcome, I find the Thai Forest teachings infinitely practical and practice oriented - which garners my foremost respect when it comes to Buddhism haha

Have you been to Cittaviveka, Joe Mc?

Be well also

BT