Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 09-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Master

Would You Eat Lab-Grown Meat?

I saw an article in the Eating Well Magazine (July/August 2018) that said they are progressing with growing meats like beef muscle and chicken and even fish in labs. They are hoping to hit store shelves by the end of 2018.

Big meat companies like Tyson, according to the article, are investing in this procedure.

One person in the article said an study was done at Oxford on lab-grown meats and they said it uses up to 96 percent less water and 99 percent less greenhouse gas.

And since there is no fecal contamination there is less likelihood of the meat becoming contaminated with Salmonella and E. coli.

There is no harm to the host cow, chicken or fish. A tiny amount of muscle tissue is taken from the animal.

At Maastricht University, researchers developed this method of growing beef in a lab.

Muscle-specific stem cells are isolated from the tissue sample.

The cells are placed in a liquid that "feeds" them. They multiply by 100 trillion-fold over 7 to 8 weeks and start becoming actual muscle cells.

Groups of 1.5 million cells fuse into a strand. A gel column is added and the fibers form a 1 millimeter ring around it. The muscle cells contract spontaneously, and the ring structure translates that contraction into tension, triggering protein formation.

I'm especially curious to know if Vegans and Vegetarians would consider consuming lab-grown meats. But all are welcome to comment.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Master
All I can say at the moment is
in places where others do not.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Master
Fish

Would you eat it linen
Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Master
Oh hell no!!!

All natural and organic is the way to go!

As in if you want to eat the best....forget the store completely.....Grow your own veggies and if you are inclined to eat meat....get out in the woods and kill it yourself!!!

Take responsibility for what you are putting in your mouth...not some lab produced mystery food!

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 09-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagandell
All I can say at the moment is

I would try it out of curiosity. But grass fed beef that has not been finished with corn is the absolutely healthiest beef you can consume.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Master
Talking

QUOTE=linen53]I would try it out of curiosity. But grass fed beef that has not been finished with corn is the absolutely healthiest beef you can consume.[/quote]

What's that got to do with a vege/ vegan section of a spiritual forums :
Old 09-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Deactivated Account
It would really depend on what my higher self and my body had to say, but I probably wouldn't.

I can't digest or uptake animal protein very well other than poultry, so for me it's probably a no go no matter what, as I get really sick. Some things I can eat but it is very hard on my system, even eggs and dairy for me as an ovo-lacto vegetarian, are often difficult. If I don't buy pasture raised eggs my body usually goes into massive cramping, and I can't just go to the store and buy some cheap block of deli cheese either. My body will reject it as the plastic and chemicals it is. I have to have real, organic cheese. So that's not me being some organic snob, just what I have to deal with physically.

I'd have to find out much more about it... and how I felt about the 'meat', from a spiritual standpoint.

Not sure I could stand eating a beautiful bird...in any form...I stopped eating poultry for many reasons, but one of them was that I could no longer take it emotionally. Birds to me are sacred and part of a sacred tribe.

Also the texture and taste of meat for me isn't something I actually really like anyway. So another reason I probably wouldn't go there. And then there's the corn/additives issue...what would they be putting into it? What varieties/forms would be produced and offered?

Having said all that I think it would be an awesome tool to end world hunger, but I'm sure the mega corporations will find a way to destroy that possibility too. Just my opinion.

Not sure exactly what effect it would have on farmers?

Sounds awesome for the environment, though. I would embrace that over what we have now. I hate the food industry in my country.

Lots of different possibilities and potentials here. I like it that the animal the meat sample is taken from is still alive. That resonates with me.

https://youtu.be/1q-k1Ev8fVc
Old 09-10-2018, 05:56 PM
Master
[quote=Pagandel
What's that got to do with a vege/ vegan section of a spiritual forums :[/QUOTE]

I actually think was appropriate for Linin to post this here because one of the two main reasons people give for being vegans is either problems with digesting meat.....or compassion for poor little critters getting whacked for food.....

So if compassion is your reason......and this process of producing meat removes the poor little critters getting whacked and eaten part from the equation ......would that then make you inclined to consume this......well......it sounds like synthetic meat to me...

Does this change how you would feel about eating meat???

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Knower
I don't have a problem with it being lab-made, seeing as how I eat mico-protein substances (Quorn brand for instance.)

It's just that I haven't eaten meat in almost twenty years for everything but beef, and that's been almost thirty years now. My body is just as likely to reject it as it would factory-meats today.

Some veg*ns might eat it and I'm fine with that. But I won't.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
I would try it out of curiosity. But grass fed beef that has not been finished with corn is the absolutely healthiest beef you can consume.

What would you think of a sample which came from a grass fed cow? If it had none of the corn etc ?

If I did go towards the poultry, I would much rather have an organic grass fed hen. Without all of the additives/corn/chemicals/hormones/fecal matter etc.

Also I need to tell my daughter about this because she has been having all kinds of ethical trauma over still eating meat (she adores animals and can't live with herself), plus the environment is a huge issue so for her this will most likely be wonderful news.

It will probably be the solution she is looking for.

https://youtu.be/1q-k1Ev8fVc