Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 26-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Master

Recommended authors

Hi
I'm quite interested in Shakti and Shiva and the school of thought that says illusion and maya are only a step in realisation they are part of God and not an illusion in the grander scheme of things. So a sort of dualism hiding behind non-dualism. This resonates with my own thoughts
I can't seem to find a proponent of these teachings to read up on, ancient or modern and wanted to read something really esoteric and full of symbology. Samaya tantra interests me again could find nothing to read to pass on insights prefer something difficult to read than easy

Also wondered if any sages taught there is only one chakra that connects all the others together

thanks for all help!
Old 27-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
Hi
I'm quite interested in Shakti and Shiva and the school of thought that says illusion and maya are only a step in realisation they are part of God and not an illusion in the grander scheme of things. So a sort of dualism hiding behind non-dualism. This resonates with my own thoughts
I can't seem to find a proponent of these teachings to read up on, ancient or modern and wanted to read something really esoteric and full of symbology. Samaya tantra interests me again could find nothing to read to pass on insights prefer something difficult to read than easy

Also wondered if any sages taught there is only one chakra that connects all the others together

thanks for all help!

Think more of chakras as local mind maps. Depending on the tradition some have 7, others 12 while some traditions don't use chakras at all.

Beyond chakras or you could say if we use the standard 7, once they are open they unify and one realizes the light.

I highly recommend anything written by Abhinavagupta. A truly great master and his writings are amazing.

To me the Triadic Heart of Siva is one of the great spiritual masterpieces.

Here is a link. http://www.laurelhovde.com/Design/Th...rt-of-Siva.pdf

I have posted much from it here if you would like to take a look.

http://community.livingunbound.net/i...heart-of-siva/

I would also recommend the Shiva Sutras as well as any books written by Swami Lakshmanjoo who was the last lineage master of KS.

Hope that helps,

Tom
Old 29-04-2018, 12:44 AM
Master
Namaste.

I'm trying to type this on a small mobile phone and so, see how it goes.

My 'go to' author for such things is Sir John Woodroffe/Arthur Avalon and his book Shakta and Shakti, which is an interpretation of the Mahanirvana Tantra.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 01-05-2018, 01:49 AM
Master

Hi davidmartin,

Sri Aurobindo

The Life Divine
The Synthesis of Yoga
Letters on Yoga

There are shorter synopsis in either Vol 1 or 2 of 'Letters' specifically on your query. See tables of contents. The other books are more in depth.

~ J

Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 AM
Master
As I look through the replies, it is interesting to note that the recommendations seem to fall within the beliefs and auspices of those recommending them and seem to either consciously or subconsciously ascribe to individual and personal agendas.

Jonesboy is of the trika school of Kashmir Shaivism, I, myself being pretty much a student of Theosophy and the occult, whilst Jyotir is a student/disciple of Sri Aurobindo...so, whatever route the opening poster decides to take in regards...IF he ever decides to return to this thread to read it or even thank us for taking the time to reply, of course...and this is why nobody really helps anybody out much anymore.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 01-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
As I look through the replies, it is interesting to note that the recommendations seem to fall within the beliefs and auspices of those recommending them and seem to either consciously or subconsciously ascribe to individual and personal agendas.

Jonesboy is of the trika school of Kashmir Shaivism, I, myself being pretty much a student of Theosophy and the occult, whilst Jyotir is a student/disciple of Sri Aurobindo...so, whatever route the opening poster decides to take in regards...IF he ever decides to return to this thread to read it or even thank us for taking the time to reply, of course...and this is why nobody really helps anybody out much anymore.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Within Hindusim I have found much truth in KS. I also like Dzogchen and Mystical Christianity. I am a big fan of the Tao Te Ching as well.

I believe Sri Aurobindo was a KS guy also.. with his own flavor. I have a friend who was there with him at his ranch when everything happened. She is more than willing to share if someone is really interested.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:11 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi

Aum Namah Shivaya

Hey there Shivani, your request is granted!
I will take a look at these recommendations thanks all for the replies
Yes its fine that people are advancing their own belief everyone does this?

Sri Aurobindo seems really intriguing definitely aligns with my background
Old 02-05-2018, 12:54 PM
Master
Quote:

We are all climbing the same mountain, and are on a path dependant on where we last exited, as we travel we cross many other paths, see different views, all on the same mountain.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Master
Quote:

Remember it isn't about beliefs it is about realization.

Each tradition based on their beliefs have different end points up that mountain.

If you think the end of suffering is the end point and returning to the "source" so to speak that is your end point. (Brahmanism)

If you think silence is the end point like Ramana that is as far as will go. (vendetta)

If you think that it is all light, all you "One like Siva" that is your end point.(Kashmir Shiavism)

If you believe that there is emptiness beyond that "One" like Daoism and Buddhism, that is your end point.

Each of those destinations have practices to help one achieve said goals.

Good luck on your path,

Tom
Old 03-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Remember it isn't about beliefs it is about realization.

Each tradition based on their beliefs have different end points up that mountain.

If you think the end of suffering is the end point and returning to the "source" so to speak that is your end point. (Brahmanism)

If you think silence is the end point like Ramana that is as far as will go. (vendetta)

If you think that it is all light, all you "One like Siva" that is your end point.(Kashmir Shiavism)

If you believe that there is emptiness beyond that "One" like Daoism and Buddhism, that is your end point.

Each of those destinations have practices to help one achieve said goals.

Good luck on your path,

Tom
Thank you, Jonesboy and also thank you David for taking the time to reply. I am happy now.

Whatever resonates with your core is the most appropriate path to follow, although at this present time, I find myself in slight disagreement with you, Tom.

I am of the view that each path up that mountain will eventually lead to the same destination... either sooner or later, depending on karma, as realisation is the ultimate goal and end point.

As you know, I also ascribe to many of the tenets put forward by KS, but I also have a hard time letting go of the Puranic aspects of Siva and so, although being 'one like Siva' is indeed the ultimate goal, I find my path to be more devotional than KS and thus more in accordance with the teachings of either Pashupati Shaivism or the school of Shaiva Siddhanta...but of course, that is my way.