Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 29-05-2012, 10:36 AM
goldentimes

Question book of shadow or a spell book

Hi All, I have a Book of shadow which is filled up and cannot get any more in it. So I was thinking what to do next? I don't know to get another book of shadows or just get a spell book .

What would be the diffidence between them?
what would be the best, another book of shadow or a spell book?
And what be the pros and cons?

I would love to hear from you
Best Regards & Blesssings!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11309.jpg (35.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 29-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Experiencer
Make Volume 2! Doesn't have to be anything too strict, just keep your ideas and important information/spells logged. Or get another book of shadows going and a spell book. Go with what you feel
Old 29-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Quintessence

Since it sounds like you're keeping a personal BoS not attached to a specific tradition that would rule-bind you to do things a certain way, you can do what you want. What the differences would be are up to you and your own personal metaphysical worldview.

To me, a BoS is not at all the same as a grimoire (spellbook) so I would never consider having one substitute for the other. To me, the big consideration is usually organization and ease-of-use. From an organizational standpoint, it might be reasonable to keep spells in another volume. I keep most content remove/add-friendly, so it would be simple to swap around pages from one volume to another at a later date.
Old 29-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Occultist

a grimoire is not just one its volumes of them I have about 25.
just keep them in a sacred place and respect. BOS and Grimoire its basically same thing I think Charmed the TV show picked BOS because it didnt sound as occult as grimoire..
Old 29-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Quintessence

I have to say, I rarely see people saying a BoS and a grimoire are the same thing. From whence do you come by this knowledge/opinion and why?
Old 29-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Tanith

Just make a second one! For me, a grimoire/book of spells is different from a book of shadows, but in my case I have them both in a single binder. I plan on buying a couple of more binders and pages to fill them for when my first one gets filled! Do whatever feels right, but don't think you have to stop at just one!
Old 30-05-2012, 02:50 AM
Occultist

My grimoire are passed down taught by our mothers, Its heritage and learning its everything its the heart of my family. grimoire comes from grammar means basic teaching tool and book of shadows is spells and incantations and rites of family heritage and blood. Mine is all of these as every witch should have all these in one. Yet my grimoire is in a broken tongue and alot of sketches so if someone not schooled in the craft tryed to read it prolly look like jibberish. Hope that clears it up. BOS didnt really come around until Gerald Gardner. Other names for a Book of Rites,The Book of Potions,The Book of Incantations ,The Book of night,
The Book of Ravens,The Book of Order,The Book of Oath ,The Book of Dawn
The Book of Dusk,Book of weave,Book of secrets,Book of truth,Book of earth,Book of the Goddess,The Tree,The cornerstone,The elements.Book of Secrets.
There is many names I just do not like using BOS because it makes people think I am Gardenarian.
Old 30-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Tanith

I, personally, have never understood the need for names. "Gardnerian," "Dianic," etc. Though I understand (usually) the difference, as with Catholic vs Baptist (among others) and Shiite vs Sunni, and various other sects of many various religions, I still do not understand the need for them.

I am Wiccan. I am also a witch. I have a special book in which I collect all my notes, lore, spells, and rituals relevant to my personal and family beliefs, regardless of what it is called by others. I don't care who "came up with the idea" or when it originated. Names such as this only serve to drive people further apart. Perhaps it is a naive question but why is it necessary to distinguish? Perhaps because I am "solitary"?

Apologies, I truly did not mean to delve off-topic but I do sometimes wonder why people distinguish.
Old 30-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Master
I have a few ancient Grimoire [out of curiosity]. I keep a sort-of BoS which is a photographic and physical record where every image and object [ feathers, pebbles, pine cones, etc] triggers memories. I don't bother with Spell Books because I just make them up as I go - all the energy comes from Gaia anyway !
Old 30-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Occultist

Gardenarian is a religion formed by Gerald Gardner has nothing to do with Magic weaving. Dianic Wicca is intertwined with Gardenarian more worship of the Goddess and feminism, Witchcraft doesnt believe in a diety just the magick user. So I try to stay away from the idea of the BOS..