Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 16-02-2014, 07:29 AM
LumLumPop

Is it Bad to Write letters to Loved Ones on the Other Side?

In 2010 my beloved grandmother died. We were very close,kinda kindred spirits. I began to write letters to her after she died,it comforted me to a degree. My sister found them and said that was a way to let demons into our home and burned them all. It made me heartbroken but every now and again I still write letters(I burn them after I finish writing to her). Am I putting my family and home in danger? I wish I could know if she ever gets them,I miss her terribly. She was the mother in my life and after 4 years I still haven't fully come to terms with it. I hope she's happy where she is. Sometimes I feel like I could've prevented it,I was supposed to go home with her after the luncheon but I selfishly decided to go home with my Dad and she got hurt. I feel like it's my fault! There's so many things I wish she could see me do and sometimes I feel like I'm in desperate need of her wisdom. I hope she's getting my letters,wherever she is. I'm not endangering my family am I?
Old 16-02-2014, 04:32 PM
ALE221

I'm not an expert on the after life. I'm going through a lot right now as well dealing with someone who has passed on, so I understand that need to connect in some way. I just don't see how writing a letter of love to someone you miss, can be a bad thing. Regardless if they are deceased or living. I've always been told that writing your feelings down is healthy. People leave letters to their deceased loved ones at the cemetery all the time.
Old 16-02-2014, 05:38 PM
livingkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumLumPop
In 2010 my beloved grandmother died. We were very close,kinda kindred spirits. I began to write letters to her after she died, it comforted me to a degree. My sister found them and said that was a way to let demons into our home and burned them all. It made me heartbroken but every now and again I still write letters(I burn them after I finish writing to her). Am I putting my family and home in danger? I wish I could know if she ever gets them,I miss her terribly. She was the mother in my life and after 4 years I still haven't fully come to terms with it. I hope she's happy where she is. Sometimes I feel like I could've prevented it,I was supposed to go home with her after the luncheon but I selfishly decided to go home with my Dad and she got hurt. I feel like it's my fault! There's so many things I wish she could see me do and sometimes I feel like I'm in desperate need of her wisdom. I hope she's getting my letters,wherever she is. I'm not endangering my family am I?

I call that journaling ...
A few years ago, my then 65yr old sister accused me of "communing w/the dead ...
That was/is her Catholic belief ...
And b/c I was 49yrs old, I gave her the middle finger then used it to direct her to the front door ...
To this day she has never suffered a loss, so basically, her words have no meaning ...
What your sister did to you was invade your privacy as did mine ...
Not only did she not have the right to touch your letters, she went too far by placing fear in your mind ...
Mine found out I was not going to tolerate control games ...

People say things to the grieving that sound cruel & they are b/c we, unintentionally, feel it to the depth of our soul ...
Its as if to say, "You are grieving wrong!" or "They're dead, stop loving him/her, close the book" ...
What they don't get is we feel lost & confused w/out the person, as irrational as it all may sound, that's just how grief is ...
We didn't cause our brain chemistry to change, the brain does it automatically in response to death as well as for our protection to keep from killing ourself from the mental & physical pain of loss ...
Grief also makes a person feel guilty as if they could've prevented the death; its called survivor's guilt ...
There was nothing selfish about you going w/your Dad ...
You weren't meant to be w/her when she was injured or died ...
She protected you from witnessing it ...
If you had been w/her, it might have caused life long PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) ...
I have PTSD. There was a time it was like having a demon inside me tweaking my nerves & constantly popping out to raise havoc ...
This might not help you to know this now, but it is something you might want to remind yourself of ...
Grandmother protected you ...
Bless her soul ...

Whatever practical things you can do to ease your heart is what I suggest you do in private ...
If it gets unbearable, please ask your Mom or Dad or both to schedule an appointment w/a therapist or psychologist ...
Old 17-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumLumPop
In 2010 my beloved grandmother died. We were very close,kinda kindred spirits. I began to write letters to her after she died,it comforted me to a degree. My sister found them and said that was a way to let demons into our home and burned them all. It made me heartbroken but every now and again I still write letters(I burn them after I finish writing to her). Am I putting my family and home in danger? I wish I could know if she ever gets them,I miss her terribly. She was the mother in my life and after 4 years I still haven't fully come to terms with it. I hope she's happy where she is. Sometimes I feel like I could've prevented it,I was supposed to go home with her after the luncheon but I selfishly decided to go home with my Dad and she got hurt. I feel like it's my fault! There's so many things I wish she could see me do and sometimes I feel like I'm in desperate need of her wisdom. I hope she's getting my letters,wherever she is. I'm not endangering my family am I?

Your sister doesn't understand demons or the afterlife, imo.

You love your grandmother. That is a bond of love. Bonds of love translate to light in the afterlife.
I am quite sure your grandmother receives your writings in the spirit. Because she receives your thoughts while you are writing letters to her. I am quite sure it makes her happy. I think she will also try to help you with your life as far as possible for her.

Love is all that matters. You are not endangering your family at all.
Go on. Keep writing to her. It's ok to burn the letters right after you have completed them. Because it is not about the letter, it is about the thoughts that you had while writing them. Those thoughts are what your grandma actually receives overthere in the afterlife.

Good luck.
Old 17-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Bad? How could that be bad? Writing to a loved one who is no longer in this world helps you to attune to them, and focus your thoughts, so it's not a waste of paper either.
They will be able to pick up on your attunement to them. They might sometimes be able to respond, though you would feel their contact -most likely -as a very strong 'sensing' of them, their character, etc. Some people can develop a telepathic two-way communication with loved ones, and when in a very relaxed state, can 'hear' what they say to you too.

However -although some people say spirit Beings can be everywhere -all at once, always....but in my own experience, there are times when they cannot always respond, or draw near to you, for their own reasons. But where there is love, they will always come back, if and when they can.

No there is nothing 'bad' about it. Things like that will not hinder them on their spiritual journey, hold them to the Earth world, etc. They will just know they are not forgotten, and are loved.

Writing letters etc to the departed ones is often suggested in grief-counselling.
Old 18-02-2014, 03:35 AM
MYFIGO

You've received some very good wisdom in the replies above. I agree that it is healthy for you to write to your Grandmother. I had the same kind of bond with my Grandmother and missed her terribly when she died.

She knows that you miss her and are thinking of her. She also is very, very proud of such a loving grandchild.

You are in no danger of bringing evil into your home. Your intention is with love and of the highest vibration.

It may help you to understand your sister's actions to know that she is acting out of fear. Many people are so frightened of death that they refuse to have anything to do with any part of it or even think about it. She was wrong to destroy your letters. In reality, she deserves your sympathy.

Keep on writing!
Old 18-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Writting letters to passsed loved ones is normal not everyone does it but that doesnt make it wrong. for some its a way of releasing pain and emmotions that locked away. to burn it is to dend it to them, your sister is wrong.it does not allow anyone into your home at all.

Namaste
Old 19-02-2014, 03:39 AM
LumLumPop

First off,I am so so so sorry I haven't replied to any of you! I haven't been near a computer. I was so touched to log on and see so many replies! Honestly,I haven't written to her in some time,I've been busy and sometimes I just don't know what I should say to her...

When she caught me writing letters it was about a few weeks after her memorial service,so I think it was part of her grieving at them time. Though she is very paranoid and she hates anything paranormal and my aunt kinda feeds into it(once my sister burned a bunch of my drawings because thy involved spirits and whatnot so my Dad called Aunt Laura and told her to stop encouraging Her) I really hope she is getting my letters,I jut wish I could know for sure,you know? Kinda a reassurance. I wish she could respond somehow.
Old 19-02-2014, 03:46 AM
Master

In agrement with the other posts , there is nothing wrong with letters to passed on loved ones . That will not invite demons in to your house . I dont think she would get the message tho. You need other methods to talk to the other side .
Old 19-02-2014, 03:51 AM
MYFIGO

I do believe she would get the message. Spirits hear us whether we talk with our voice or just in our heads. As we would write a letter, we would be thinking as we write and the message would be sent.

I believe our loved ones are at our sides when we think of them regardless of if we notice or not.