Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 20-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Guide
Fasting and Meditation

This past week I've started to fast in the afternoons. After I finish work at 5Pm I don't eat anything for the remainder of the day. Partly because I'm just not hungry, but also because I notice my meditations are that much more powerful on an empty stomach. Anyone else do something similar?
Old 20-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Badcopyinc

tyler tolman and don tolman. offer healing retreats that center around the idea of doing full blown water fasting. they describe that during the first week some will have emotional breakdowns and when asked what happened that day times years. (day seven breakdown = 7 years ago breakdown) they often attribute it to a big event that happened to them. These emotional releases are always surrounded during one of the daily meditations.

outside of that neither really speak on this side of their retreats. Don't think its conducive to business.

I try to follow a 23/1 raw diet as much as possible and eat when sun is highest. i have never took note to the difference on empty or full. Definitely has me curious though.

(*I'm by no means advocating water fasting. Its dangerous and should never be done without medical supervision and extensive knowledge. Especially when you hit the healing crisis stage.)
Old 21-07-2017, 09:42 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelRain
This past week I've started to fast in the afternoons. After I finish work at 5Pm I don't eat anything for the remainder of the day. Partly because I'm just not hungry, but also because I notice my meditations are that much more powerful on an empty stomach. Anyone else do something similar?

Yes. I have breakfast in the middle of the morning and then my main meal mid-afternoon, and otherwise I do not eat. This obviously is not possible for everyone because of other commitments. I may feel slightly hungry, but this empty feeling is actually quite a pleasant sensation - it is certainly better than feeling full.

It is easier to meditate on an empty stomach, partly because we are physically more comfortable but also because our energies are not involved in digesting food.

Fasting in general is good but we need to find a fast which works for us. We also need to allow that on the second day we may feel weak, tired, nauseous, headaches, etc. These are just toxins coming to the surface, and it is part of the cleansing process. What I find interesting is that after the fourth day of fasting my hunger vanishes and I feel full of energy. It is just a case of getting through those first four days!

Peace.
Old 22-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Master
I haven't decided whether I am going to do a full days water fast on Mondays or Kalashtami yet.

Fasting, doing tapasya (penance) and all that helps purify the gross body making meditation more beneficial.
Old 24-07-2017, 07:02 AM
Master
Quote:
Sure - in the Buddhist meditation school I'm associated with, people take 'precepts', which are moral rules like no lying, stealing, killing etc. The advanced meditation students take additional precepts including no food after 12 noon - just breakfast and lunch. It is also recommended not to eat until you are full at breakfast or lunch - just enough to be 3/4 full. This is supposed to be good for the meditation.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Seeker

For my meditation I use the food rules which I was taught at the Acem (https://www.acem.com) courses. They are very precise, and have been scientifically tested by Are Holen who started Acem, who is a doctor in both medicine and psychology. Basically, for best effect, you should not eat meat for ab. 24 hours, and alliums (garlic, onions) for 48 hours before. It is a bit more complicated than that: if you want the details, just ask me. I am not a vegetarian but have mostly chicken which is ok if you eat it at lunchtime. And I meditate first thing in the morning. If I stick to this diet, my meditation is miles better. No need to go hungry at all!
Old 05-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke
For my meditation I use the food rules which I was taught at the Acem (https://www.acem.com) courses. They are very precise, and have been scientifically tested by Are Holen who started Acem, who is a doctor in both medicine and psychology. Basically, for best effect, you should not eat meat for ab. 24 hours, and alliums (garlic, onions) for 48 hours before. It is a bit more complicated than that: if you want the details, just ask me. I am not a vegetarian but have mostly chicken which is ok if you eat it at lunchtime. And I meditate first thing in the morning. If I stick to this diet, my meditation is miles better. No need to go hungry at all!

The Buddhist meditation schools generally go with vegetarian diet sans onions and garlic, too. Indeed, moderate eating of nutritious food is obviously best for most any facet of life.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:40 AM
Newbie ;)

I agree with you, It is easier to meditate on an empty stomach Because we are physically more strong.I am very happy to read. Thanks for providing great information,thanxx for sharing this valuable information about meditation.
Old 15-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Guide
Its very good to have meal efore 5pm. I used to have breakfast (1 Banana & 1 glass of milk) 6.30 am 12.30 I used to have good meal and 1 glass lemon juice + 1 banana 5pm the last meal.
Old 25-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:

significantly so.

we should never meditate on a full stomach, especially when trancing or doing energy work, but also whenever we are trying to be alert (as the blood goes to the organs of digestion).

swell job discovering this on your own!

cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMs...5re6_Oi-NRKtNw