Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 09-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Knower
working long hours, finding it hard stay motivated

I've just started a new job dong 12hr shifts which I'm on my feet all day i try to get to the gym, twice a week, but find my self so tired and not putting much effort into the work out..

any tips or advice on how get myself more motivated?
Old 09-06-2017, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
It stands to reason that you won't feel motivated to do a physical work out after being on your feet for a 12 hour shift. You will feel physically tired.
Sometimes something like an hour long walk in the fresh air in some pleasant countryside can help after that kind of physical tiredness. It is still physical exertion, but a different kind, a more relaxed kind, and can help to restore energy as you boost your circulation.
But it depends on whether you have access to that kind of environment.
Also yoga exercises might help? Especially with some soothing music?
What you decide to do for healthy exercise has to feel pleasant, at the end of your long day, and be some sort of contrast. Not just because you have to work out.
Old 13-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Seeker

Beautywithin,

You can do it. Even just going to stay connected to the idea might be good enough for now. You'll likely ride out the 'not putting too much effort' part soon. Maybe you also need to change what you're doing there. What are you doing? Maybe swim if you're not or work on a different part of your body, mind and do it while hooked to a podcast you like.

You are motivated enough because you're going. You know you feel better when you're working out. Your energy level is always better for it.
Old 13-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Knower
Thank you

I normally do cardio and light weights, it's the cardio i'm now struggling with as my legs hurt from standing all day - but will go for a swim tomorrow :)
Old 13-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Experiencer
What would fill you with energy, be in "balance" with your job so it goes one with another? There are many different ways of recreation, on your own or groups.
Old 14-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Knower

Just do something.... and then don't think about it. A few sit-ups, a short walk, whatever... on some of the days.
Then you'll adjust a bit and then do a little more of something. I do 12 hour shifts and it takes a while to adjust to. Once I stopped beating myself up about not meeting certain goals, working out a certain amount, fitting in whatever, and just did something when I felt I could and nothing when self-care was in order, and outside of that stayed just cool and neutral as much as possible.. it was like it crept up on me. Being able to do more and better and prioritize and such.

That's just me, one example, though, saying what I would say to myself looking back... I can't be sure we are all so similar but I think keeping it positive and not being disappointed with yourself and accepting yourself as human is a good prerequisite for anyone.
Old 15-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Suspended
A simple stretching routine should help to condition your muscles by expelling the built up toxins, reducing fatigue. Combined with enough rest & recuperation until you feel ready to workout again, should have you feeling more enthusiastic.
Old 22-06-2017, 01:18 AM
Pathfinder
My advice is to start small and build your way up. Just ten or five minutes a day can still count.

I highly recommend the website Spark People TV for lots of free workouts. Chair exercises are also a really good option.

I also recommend bubble jet spa foot baths. I had a job before where I was constantly on my feet and always tired. Soaking my feet at the end of the day was something that really helped me relax and energized me at the same time. Plus, they are going down in price. They have them at places like Walmart and Target but I will leave a link for that too.

Hope these help!

Chair Workout:
http://www.sparkpeople.tv/video.asp?id=633

Bubble jet baths:
http://www.homedics.com/spa/footbaths.html
Old 22-06-2017, 03:19 AM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautywithin
I've just started a new job dong 12hr shifts which I'm on my feet all day i try to get to the gym, twice a week, but find my self so tired and not putting much effort into the work out..

any tips or advice on how get myself more motivated?
Try a High Intensity Training routine: quick and effective.

Motivation? Print out a list of degenerative diseases, with pictures, and post it around your house and office!
Old 27-07-2017, 04:49 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautywithin
Thank you

I normally do cardio and light weights, it's the cardio i'm now struggling with as my legs hurt from standing all day - but will go for a swim tomorrow :)

swimming is a great exercise! I always find it hard to get myself to the gym, but once I get there I never have a problem getting my workout done. It's just the "getting" there part that is always the issue. Just need to have some sort of motivation to keep you going. My motivation are my kids and how I want to be there when they grow up.