Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Master
I thought that it actually has the Aliens in this film! Am I mistaken?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Henri77

Ya got me... but I believe not... only a suggestion or very brief glimpse, if that.

(as I understand from what I'd read-heard in previous interviews)

They've been VERY secretive about leaking details of story or plot... prior to any release.

I've seen quite enough of oozy reptilians, personally.

maybe in the sequel... Scott seems to have hinted at a poss sequel....(not unlikely, if this one makes dough)

some cool info on IMAX 3D ... I haven't seen IMAX in quiet a while, and never a 3D movie there.

I never realized 3D film projectors actually use 2 reels of film these days, and assumed some polarizing tech trick allowed the images to be on one reel.

Both filmstrips of an IMAX movie stretch 18km total....!

Nothings really changed since grandma's stereoscopic viewers. Other than digital capture, editing & projection. Insofar as 3D illusion

IMAX film projectors in use
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTH2zIKwC0
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Henri77

While I'd FAR rather see a positive Sci Fi story like Close Encounters, Day the Earth Stood Still, or Contact,
(I've seen Close Encounters 5x to date and it had a profound impact the first time)

This one DOES raise philosophical ideas that deserve considering,

Scott prefers conflict-drama to a far riskier truth-possibility about our origins & spiritual nature.
While the unknown poses many challenges, it does not necessarily seek to destroy us.

Yeah it's only a movie........ after all... one guy's fantasyworld
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Henri77

Well here's Roger Ebert's review. (4 stars) (some info that wasn't revealed in interviews)

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/#watc...untimes.com%2F

Think I'll go next week at a matinee when crowds are minimal.
I'm really contemplating the IMax version, out of curiosity.

Ridley Scott is a perfectionist and 3D Imax could be pretty exceptional.

Since it's R rated there hopefully won't be many children in the audience.

I fear encouuntering distracting patrons at movies I really care about...as I can get pretty offensive if folks near me talk.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Henri77

It appears many moviegoers are disappointed at the lack of scary monsters, and don't care much for thought provoking films-stories.

(Judging from IMDB viewers reviews....)

There are lots of slasher-serial killer-gorefest- explosion filled movies that suit them. Aimed at 12-15 yr old mentalities.
So I hope they pass on this one.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Master
There were not any scary monsters in 2001 A Space Odyssey and that was a great thought provoking film. I might actually watch it if it is not too scary, lol.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Henri77

Well it IS billed as a horror movie... but one for those who appreciate ideas as well.
Ridley Scott knows how the attract audiences, but he's no Stanley Kubrick.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Henri77

After reading user comments at the Prometheus site, My take is that many viewers-fans really expected a classy, horror-sci fi action story....
in the tone of Alien, http://www.prometheusforum.net/

Rather than a scary-paranoid version of 2001 ... as that's what this seems to be....( a much more negative/paranoid mythology than 2001)

As 2001 was primarily
optimistic about the mysteries of the inteligent universe... while this seems focused on its threatening aspect.

(Us as the good guys in a threatening situation-universe)

The theory is based on likely truth, (genetic manipulation), but isn't especially hopeful. about the nature of the universe (at least the solar system represented here) From what I gather about the story, thus far.

Perhaps I'll feel differently after seeing it... Folks don't go to movies to become depressed, and filmmakers well know this.

In this interview, Michael Fassbinder reveals the ending....(when he declares that “the humans win in the end... for now!”)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micha...t-274465.shtml
Old 11-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Midnite

It was an interesting movie. I liked how life-like everything looked. Actual depiction of how the human DNA sequence came into existence? nah.. This movie had 'expect a fake invasion' all over it. What's the Government plotting?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite
It was an interesting movie. I liked how life-like everything looked. Actual depiction of how the human DNA sequence came into existence? nah.. This movie had 'expect a fake invasion' all over it. What's the Government plotting?

Excellent point, (that I hadn't yet considered) but this could be said about so many sci-fi films... from 50's monster aliens to Battle of LA, Battleship or similar invasion themes that Hollywood (and likely the military) supports to represent all aliens as threatening.

What's particularly disturbing to me, is how this story appears to twist truth (ancient genetic modifications) to create an ongoing mythology-threat of this sort....
(and even setting it in the future)
It's only entertainment, yet does shape the public mindset, by creating such a mythology... one that fears the unknown.
Like do we really need more paranoia ?

Yes, I've heard 1st hand reports that a small spectrum of aliens HAVE long represented an actual or perceived threat to us...(depending how one views our overall dynamic of interactions....far beyond recognized earth history) As there seems much lost in history.

The public seems to love being scared however, so one cannot really blame directors for creating such things in whatever form...slasher films, serial killers, and such.

Speilburg was among the first modern directors to represent aliens as benevolent, (ET, Close Encounters) , and even he has folded , and tends to now support the fiction of an invasion scenario.... with Super 8 being the sole recent exception I can recall..
(one that is compassionate to other life forms)

Whitley Streiber claimed he got financial support for HIS depiction of Greys as demonic.....support that vanished when he began to depict them in a more compassionate way. (according to an older interview or article I recall)

Hollywood is very sensitive to public opinion in how it represents ethnic groups, yet our galactic family has no such representation-influence it seems, and continues to be a favorite target for our projected fears.

I applaud filmmakers who have the courage to buck this trend. And so does the moviegoing public it seems.
ET was the highest grossing film of it's decade.