Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 20-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Master

Gem and janielee,

Thanking the both of you for your responses. It helps me to understand. I do not wish to put words in your mouths of something that neither of you mean. But I understand in this way: Metta results in the radiation of love without necessarily the encumbrance of either words and/or actions. This is possible because it is coming from a purified center?
Old 20-03-2019, 04:56 PM
Master

Perhaps aura creation like...…"you say it best when you say nothing at all"...….:)
Old 20-03-2019, 05:01 PM
janielee

I believe true metta is such. Also from the indistinguishable knowing of Truth which is part of the Buddha Way - that other is also self - consciousness can transform such that this is palpably seen.

There are many intentional metta practices taught in the Buddhist schools - without compassion, Buddhism does not exist.

The twin results of Buddha Dhamma practice are wisdom (knowing the Truth) and compassion. Anything else is secondary, in my opinion.

Thanks for the interest from a fellow companion :)

JL
Old 20-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Gem and janielee,

Thanking the both of you for your responses. It helps me to understand. I do not wish to put words in your mouths of something that neither of you mean. But I understand in this way: Metta results in the radiation of love without necessarily the encumbrance of either words and/or actions. This is possible because it is coming from a purified center?

Yep, pretty much. The love which is actually true. 'The centre', as it were, is already completely pure (and immediately accessible by anyone), but minds and bodies are obstructed by 'impurities', 'defilements' (to use common Buddhist parlance). We mostly call it 'blocks' and 'negative thoughts'.

The meditation (mindfulness) is the purification process. As Buddha put it: "This is way for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow and lamentation, for the extinguishing of suffering and grief, for walking on the path of truth, for the realisation of nibbāna" (Satipatthana Sutta).

Mindfulness has body/sensation and mind/mental contents as its objects of awareness, and by becoming conscious of deeper aspects of the body/mind, the 'impurities' are revealed to the light of conscious awareness and resolved. Hence, body/mind tension, density and heaviness are dissolved, and dullness and insensitivity of perception become bright and alert. After a significant degree of purification, the pure love from 'the centre' starts to flow through the now cleared channels of the life form. Where that affects motive, malice and ill-will fade away and loving-kindness predominates one's spontaneous disposition and self expression.
Old 21-03-2019, 12:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yep, pretty much. The love which is actually true. 'The centre', as it were, is already completely pure (and immediately accessible by anyone), but minds and bodies are obstructed by 'impurities', 'defilements' (to use common Buddhist parlance). We mostly call it 'blocks' and 'negative thoughts'.

The meditation (mindfulness) is the purification process. As Buddha put it: "This is way for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow and lamentation, for the extinguishing of suffering and grief, for walking on the path of truth, for the realisation of nibbāna" (Satipatthana Sutta).

Mindfulness has body/sensation and mind/mental contents as its objects of awareness, and by becoming conscious of deeper aspects of the body/mind, the 'impurities' are revealed to the light of conscious awareness and resolved. Hence, body/mind tension, density and heaviness are dissolved, and dullness and insensitivity of perception become bright and alert. After a significant degree of purification, the pure love from 'the centre' starts to flow through the now cleared channels of the life form. Where that affects motive, malice and ill-will fade away and loving-kindness predominates one's spontaneous disposition and self expression.

When I read your words, I felt through them exactly what your articulating.

It’s those direct experiences through the realised truth of another we can come to become aware of our own pure centre, realign itself.

This comes back to you as the one ‘not doing’ or ‘ no doer’ doing anything. It’s that spontaneous opening in ones own readiness to feel and know for itself it’s own realisation of the truth within all life.
Old 21-03-2019, 07:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Gem and janielee,

Hey there Molearner...I know this may be just an aside here, so apologies if that's the case.

But is metta better or ideal if unencumbered by words or actions on the ground?

Or is it perhaps arguably at least as fully realised if it is encumbered () by those words and actions on the ground? However imperfectly...

I do see Gem mentioned that one's manner and one's actions proceed accordingly -- that last bit is probably the most pressing portion of it all for me. Perhaps that's just where I observe the truth of it is so often tested in my own life. And I do know he and many others have spoken at length about the awareness we strive to bring to each moment.

But I also observe a good many take that bit for granted. I use the term "spontaneously arising" very sparingly. Even the universe itself is recreated in each moment from "the field of potential" (or whatever physicists may call it)...and what maintains or supports that? LOL...in truth, as far as we know, nothing is automatic or a given eternally and yet we tend to often gloss over that. We say change is a given but that just means essentially means nothing is a given. All at some point arises by choice, by conscious awareness. It's just generally above our pay grade.

The truth on the ground is that all that metta will tend to require some ongoing, sustained level of conscious awareness to be conveyed in word and deed. And some level of meaningful focus or effort or prioritisation, which conveys at some fundamental level that others matter equally to oneself. Else why bother as it's all about you, all day/all the time?

And, IMO it goes nearly without saying that this work is meaningful. This work of valuing others is important. And certainly whilst practice is key, nonetheless it can at times be difficult, even very much so. When we begin to recognise the worth of this work and to accord it its intrinsic value, then we can render all that we do for one another that much more visible. When we name it and honor it, we can make it that much more real in the realm of what is.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 22-03-2019, 12:42 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
Hey there Molearner...I know this may be just an aside here, so apologies if that's the case.

But is metta better or ideal if unencumbered by words or actions on the ground?

Or is it perhaps arguably at least as fully realised if it is encumbered () by those words and actions on the ground? However imperfectly...

7luminaries,

First of all, for me to comment on metta is a little ridiculous for I come as a novice to this term(having little familiarity with Buddhism) so my comments came solely from a questioning perspective seeking for understanding. I did qualify my observation by using the word 'necessarily'. I meant with the understanding that I came to that it would radiate without words/actions and would essentially be observable as an 'aura'.
To me it is only logical that words and actions would naturally proceed from such an individual. But these words/actions would, in no way, shock the recipient. They would simply affirm what they already had garnered intuitively or via spirit. Sometimes there is no situation for interaction(passing on sidewalk, etc) but one can still be blessed by the simple presence of one with this genuine quality.
Old 22-03-2019, 02:02 AM
Master
Quote:
7luminaries,

First of all, for me to comment on metta is a little ridiculous for I come as a novice to this term(having little familiarity with Buddhism) so my comments came solely from a questioning perspective seeking for understanding. I did qualify my observation by using the word 'necessarily'. I meant with the understanding that I came to that it would radiate without words/actions and would essentially be observable as an 'aura'.

Zacly.

Quote:
To me it is only logical that words and actions would naturally proceed from such an individual. But these words/actions would, in no way, shock the recipient. They would simply affirm what they already had garnered intuitively or via spirit. Sometimes there is no situation for interaction(passing on sidewalk, etc) but one can still be blessed by the simple presence of one with this genuine quality.

Yep, kind words and actions would characterise such individuals because loving kindness is true of their inner disposition.
Old 22-03-2019, 02:17 AM
Master
When I try to understand 'Purity' in the Buddhist sense - Mahavairocana comes to mind; - a symbol of immaculateness and purity.

Here some images:
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB18Dq8N...nze-Statue.jpg

That statue has 3 heads, but generally Vairocana has 4 i.e. simultaneously perceiving in all directions ……

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/45...173ede9d44.jpg
So he sits on a white moon disk – the 4 lotuses opening up in 4 directions (like moon reflecting and emanating simultaneously).

The moon is the purest reflection of sunlight.
The moon doesn’t pretend to be the sun, it only reflects its light, so there is this opening up, emptying out and decentralization process happening ….
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

Old 23-03-2019, 01:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
When I try to understand 'Purity' in the Buddhist sense - Mahavairocana comes to mind; - a symbol of immaculateness and purity.

It basically means conscious awareness with peace of mind.

Quote:
Here some images:
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB18Dq8N...nze-Statue.jpg

That statue has 3 heads, but generally Vairocana has 4 i.e. simultaneously perceiving in all directions ……

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/45...173ede9d44.jpg
So he sits on a white moon disk – the 4 lotuses opening up in 4 directions (like moon reflecting and emanating simultaneously).

The moon is the purest reflection of sunlight.
The moon doesn’t pretend to be the sun, it only reflects its light, so there is this opening up, emptying out and decentralization process happening ….
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

People who are Buddhist might find Buddhist iconography meaningful; Christians, the iconography of Christ; Hindus, their own and so on. It's all fine, none is better than another, and even though individuals give much importance to their own religious imagery, Buddhist iconography means little to Christians and vice versa, and the elephant lady with tons of arms is no more than a cartoon figure to me.

I think people can use imagery, but some people have no use for visualising icons. Some people have use for Jesus or Mary icons, some use Buddhist icons, others prefer the multi-armed elephant lady - and no icon is universally important to everyone.

Metta is universal, regardless of religion, nation, creed, nationality. Granted that a great many do not consider metta important, but all the religions promote it.