Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 25-03-2018, 09:45 PM
Experiencer

MH, and I've noticed in myself that most of the activity and reactivity within my mind is ego-based, and functions as a block or obstacle to my divine nature. Letting go of that ego-activity is imo, as you said, a major part of meditation.

Sky, I agree with what you said about already having peace, joy, compassion, and Buddha nature, and that non-meditation is a way of realizing that. That's definitely one of the main reasons to meditate. And in secular meditation, as opposed to Buddhist meditation, that very important component is underemphasized or altogether denied.

Rain, selfless is a good way to put it imo. Unfortunately most people (to a great extent including me) are determined to hang on to their ego-identities, and sometimes at nearly all cost. It takes great willingness and courage to even question the validity of one's ego-identity, and of course actually letting it go can seem nearly impossible.
Old 26-03-2018, 07:53 AM
Suspended

I was thinking that thinking it is nearly impossible is a good thing. It's like a puzzle or machine that is put together in a certain way so that there is one thing that it can't do. or it can't be something else. It's impossible for this machine to do a certain thing because of the way the parts have been put together. Or it's impossible for this puzzle to be a certain thing because of how the pieces have been assembled.

So really one can't let go because of what that one is. It is impossible for that one. The parts of the machine have to be put together in a different way. The puzzle pieces have to be rearranged. Only then is it possible.

The I let's go by changing what the I is. How does the I change what it is? By bringing in this new part, self awareness. Observing without thought's influence. Changing the point of perception. The reference point. Observing without the conceptual. One doesn't have to let go. Presence is free of it already. Thought is submissive to awareness. It's like water on a flame. Thought has no consciousness. Thought has not captured consciousness. Consciousness has chosen to be unaware.
Old 26-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
MH, and I've noticed in myself that most of the activity and reactivity within my mind is ego-based, and functions as a block or obstacle to my divine nature. Letting go of that ego-activity is imo, as you said, a major part of meditation.

Sky, I agree with what you said about already having peace, joy, compassion, and Buddha nature, and that non-meditation is a way of realizing that. That's definitely one of the main reasons to meditate. And in secular meditation, as opposed to Buddhist meditation, that very important component is underemphasized or altogether denied.

Rain, selfless is a good way to put it imo. Unfortunately most people (to a great extent including me) are determined to hang on to their ego-identities, and sometimes at nearly all cost. It takes great willingness and courage to even question the validity of one's ego-identity, and of course actually letting it go can seem nearly impossible.

In Buddhism the word ' Ego ' doesn't exist, you don't find it in any early Suttas. Buddha taught 'Anatta ' or ' Not Self ' refered to using the Five Aggregates, ego is a Western word.

Meditation is used to see through the illusion of having a self/ego, and help undoing the illusion.
Old 26-03-2018, 11:16 PM
Experiencer

Sky, in classical Buddhist texts, they don't use the word ego. Yet modern Buddhist teachers, including those from Eastern countries, do use that word. But yes, Buddha himself probably didn't use it because the word itself may not have existed at that point in history. And I agree, meditation is a way to see through the illusion of ego, and a way of connecting with or getting in touch with Buddha nature.

Rain, you're really making some very good points imo, and I tend to take a similar approach in my own journey. Rather than 'letting go of self/ego', I try to 'redefine' myself in terms of Buddha nature. Repeating affirmations such as 'I am one with God. I am divine' (which isn't really a Buddhist practice), have been a way I've tried to identify with Buddha nature, in addition to meditation.
Old 27-03-2018, 02:33 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Sky, in classical Buddhist texts, they don't use the word ego. Yet modern Buddhist teachers, including those from Eastern countries, do use that word. But yes, Buddha himself probably didn't use it because the word itself may not have existed at that point in history.

Yea according to the internet, the word ego was invented in 1714 and then made famous by Freud in 1894. It also became popular during the hippy movement in the late 60's. I really think the word did more harm than good because now days it's a noun, when really it's not something you have at all, it's something you do.
Old 27-03-2018, 07:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
Yea according to the internet, the word ego was invented in 1714 and then made famous by Freud in 1894. It also became popular during the hippy movement in the late 60's. I really think the word did more harm than good because now days it's a noun, when really it's not something you have at all, it's something you do.

I think it's a handy tool if used properly
Old 27-03-2018, 07:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Sky, in classical Buddhist texts, they don't use the word ego. Yet modern Buddhist teachers, including those from Eastern countries, do use that word. But yes, Buddha himself probably didn't use it because the word itself may not have existed at that point in history. And I agree, meditation is a way to see through the illusion of ego, and a way of connecting with or getting in touch with Buddha nature.

Rain, you're really making some very good points imo, and I tend to take a similar approach in my own journey. Rather than 'letting go of self/ego', I try to 'redefine' myself in terms of Buddha nature. Repeating affirmations such as 'I am one with God. I am divine' (which isn't really a Buddhist practice), have been a way I've tried to identify with Buddha nature, in addition to meditation.

Yes I have noticed that some Buddhists Teachers do use the word ' ego ' but not as something to eliminate as some Westerners do. I presume it's easier to explain than Anatta when people are new to Buddhism.

Thich Nhat Hanh also uses the word Divine as Buddha Nature ( Great minds think alike).
Old 27-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Experiencer

Rain, yeah I thought Freud was the one who popularized the idea of ego. Thanks for sharing that info.

Sky, bless you and thanks for the compliment.