Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 25-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Quintessence

I've never understood the taboo on blowing out candles when doing these spells. Nobody I've talked to has ever been able to give me a particularly good reason for it (or rather, their reasons depend on their particular metaphysics that I may or may not agree with). I don't usually do it simply because I use very small tapers when doing candle spellcraft, but on occasion I use a larger candle with the intent of burning it over the course of several days. I blow them out. It's never been a problem.
Old 25-02-2012, 04:27 AM
misscelt

I have found that tealights work really well for most of the spell work that I do, and the wax is always almost completely gone once they are burned out. I have buried the ones for things I am drawing to me... and the banishing ones get tossed in the trash and taken out right away. The tins from the others I recycle.

The thing I heard about blowing out the candles is that it is an insult to the element of fire. I usually snuff them out if I need to leave before it is done, but if I can't for whatever reason I apologize first.

I don't know what kind of furnace you have, but that sounds like it might be dangerous... even in a fireplace I'm not sure if those might deposit something in the chimney that could start a fire. Be careful. :)
Old 25-02-2012, 06:23 PM
LadyTerra

Greetings Everyone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
I've never understood the taboo on blowing out candles when doing these spells. Nobody I've talked to has ever been able to give me a particularly good reason for it (or rather, their reasons depend on their particular metaphysics that I may or may not agree with). I don't usually do it simply because I use very small tapers when doing candle spellcraft, but on occasion I use a larger candle with the intent of burning it over the course of several days. I blow them out. It's never been a problem.

The reason behind snuffing Candles is in order to seal the power raised in the Working--until the Ritual is completed. You literally (blow) the energy away--when you blow them out.

Now--there are certain Rituals where blowing the energy away is desireable--such various BanishingSpells and FuneralSpells (where you are actually helping certain energy--or Entities--to depart.

However--most Spells are only completed when the Candles burn-out on their own and (in terms of Divination) the order in which they burn-out can tell you things about the outcome of your Ritual and the situation at hand.

I perform several different types of Rituals that take (3-7 days)--during which time I become the "Keeper of the Flame". I (ordinarily) have a CentralPillarCandle (from which all the others are lighted)--this Candle remains lit for the duration of the Working. The surrounding Candles are inscribed w/ various Runes (in order to effect the desired outcome) and these are snuffed at the end of each Chanting session as follows;

"I seal the Power here within--until I light Thee once again."

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...
Old 25-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Quintessence

I suppose if that makes sense for you, go ahead and do it that way, but it's not how I see the energy operating in candle spellcraft. One can claim that "sealing the power" is very undesirable, as it locks it away and keeps it from going anywhere in the world. One can also claim the power manifest in the spell is making waves while the candle is burning, making the method of extinguishing irrelevant. Others I've seen claim that you don't blow them out because it offends the Fire Spirits. Plus about half a dozen other explanations. All of them make metaphysical claims that can't be proven correct or incorrect; 'tis probably why it's best for us to use what works for ourselves.
Old 27-02-2012, 04:54 AM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
I suppose if that makes sense for you, go ahead and do it that way, but it's not how I see the energy operating in candle spellcraft. One can claim that "sealing the power" is very undesirable, as it locks it away and keeps it from going anywhere in the world. One can also claim the power manifest in the spell is making waves while the candle is burning, making the method of extinguishing irrelevant. Others I've seen claim that you don't blow them out because it offends the Fire Spirits. Plus about half a dozen other explanations. All of them make metaphysical claims that can't be proven correct or incorrect; 'tis probably why it's best for us to use what works for ourselves.

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Experiencer
Thanks Misscelt and LadyTerra for the insightful info about why we don't blow out candles ! I was snuffing them as I'd read "not to blow candles that are used in a spell" but I didn't know exactly what it was all about, so that was quite interesting!

Peace

"The mystery of human existence lies not in just staying alive, but in finding something to live for.” -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

"Treat others the same way you want them to treat you." (Master Yeshua)
Old 03-03-2012, 07:01 AM
misscelt

You're very welcome! :)
Old 05-03-2012, 05:06 AM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalimar
Thanks Misscelt and LadyTerra for the insightful info about why we don't blow out candles ! I was snuffing them as I'd read "not to blow candles that are used in a spell" but I didn't know exactly what it was all about, so that was quite interesting!

Peace

CandleWorkings are all about raising the Energy--so by snuffing them during Rituals that require several days--you allow that energy to build and then properly direct it at the end of the working.

You are welcome (as always). I love sharing what I have learned along the way!