Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 21-02-2011, 08:50 PM
nightowl

Monotheistic Paganism?

I am fairly new on sp forum. As I have been reading through different post I am amazed at the variety of beliefs represented here. I believe it is a very good thing to see the openness that is shared here.

It seems to be a human trait to want to put a label on what we believe. I must admit I have gone back in forth between it doesn’t really matter, a label I mean, to what do I believe and does it fit under a label? Am I the only one who has done this?

Anyway my spiritual journey began with no formal training in spiritual matters. What I grew up with consisted of believing in “the powers that be” or “the Almighty” and our connection to the earth. Pretty simple huh? Well as I grew and had deeper spiritual questions I ended up in church, believing I would find my answers there. It worked for awhile but never really felt like it fit right, you know like trying to wear shoes that are too small? Now I am out of church and back to that simple beginning of “the Almighty and nature”. This statement tends to suit me well, “pagan monotheism" -- faith in one supreme God, the creator and of all things, but who interacts with the world through divine energy, divine beings and nature. I have often referred to my beliefs as a type folk religion because I incorporate some of my heritage within its practice and rituals.
I was just wondering what others thought of Monotheistic Paganism?

nightowl
Old 25-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Arion

In ancient Egypt, Akhenaten founded his religion of the Aten during his reign in the eighteenth dynasty, which was a form of monotheism. The sun disk was considered the supreme deity and source of all things, and the worship of the traditional gods was abandoned... for a short period of time. His religion didn't last past his own death, as the traditional polytheism was reinstituted under the reign of his son, Tutankhamun.

In Siegfried Morenz's book, Egyptian Religion, he suggests that traditional Egyptian religion itself was more of a polytheistic monism bordering on monotheism, in which the many gods were just different forms or facets of the one Supreme God. This is similar to modern traditions of Hinduism where Shiva or Vishnu is considered the supreme being.

In the Feri tradition of Witchcraft, the supreme diety is God Herself, the Star Goddess who is the Mother of All. She is definitely NOT considered a transcendent deity out there in the heavens - the cosmos is her living body, and all things are contained within her womb. She is the fabric of the material world as well as the spiritual, as she is immanent in all of creation, not separate from it. She's not the only deity, but she is the highest being, as the other gods exist within her and embody the forces of nature in the universe.

I don't know if that helps you at all, but that's what I know about supreme beings in pagan paths. It's rare for pagan traditions to be monotheistic, but many could be considered monistic, where there is unity in plurality.

Last edited by Arion : 25-02-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 25-02-2011, 01:50 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion
In ancient Egypt, Akhenaten founded his religion of the Aten during his reign in the eighteenth dynasty, which was a form of monotheism. The sun disk was considered the supreme deity and source of all things, and the worship of the traditional gods was abandoned... for a short period of time. His religion didn't last past his own death, as the traditional polytheism was reinstituted under the reign of his son, Tutankhamun.

In Siegfried Morenz's book, Egyptian Religion, he suggests that traditional Egyptian religion itself was more of a polytheistic monism bordering on monotheism, in which the many gods were just different forms or facets of the one Supreme God. This is similar to modern traditions of Hinduism where Shiva or Vishnu is considered the supreme being.

In the Feri tradition of Witchcraft, the supreme diety is God Herself, the Star Goddess who is the Mother of All. She is definitely NOT considered a transcendent deity out there in the heavens - the cosmos is her living body, and all things are contained within her womb. She is the fabric of the material word as well as the spiritual, as she is immanent in all of creation, not separate from it. She's not the only deity, but she is the highest being, as the other gods exist within her and embody the forces of nature in the universe.

I don't know if that helps you at all, but that's what I know about supreme beings in pagan paths. It's rare for pagan traditions to be monotheistic, but many could be considered monistic, where there is unity in plurality.

Thanks for the info Arion.
Old 25-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
I am fairly new on sp forum. As I have been reading through different post I am amazed at the variety of beliefs represented here. I believe it is a very good thing to see the openness that is shared here.

It seems to be a human trait to want to put a label on what we believe. I must admit I have gone back in forth between it doesn’t really matter, a label I mean, to what do I believe and does it fit under a label? Am I the only one who has done this?

Anyway my spiritual journey began with no formal training in spiritual matters. What I grew up with consisted of believing in “the powers that be” or “the Almighty” and our connection to the earth. Pretty simple huh? Well as I grew and had deeper spiritual questions I ended up in church, believing I would find my answers there. It worked for awhile but never really felt like it fit right, you know like trying to wear shoes that are too small? Now I am out of church and back to that simple beginning of “the Almighty and nature”. This statement tends to suit me well, “pagan monotheism" -- faith in one supreme God, the creator and of all things, but who interacts with the world through divine energy, divine beings and nature. I have often referred to my beliefs as a type folk religion because I incorporate some of my heritage within its practice and rituals.
I was just wondering what others thought of Monotheistic Paganism?

nightowl
I am not monotheistic. I don't have any problem with monotheistic religions, they're just not my thang, I am a happy polytheist with some monist overtones. There are a few singular god 'pagan' religions. But admittedly, belief in a sole god was extremely uncommon until the rise of Christianity.

It sounds like you have found a spirituality that speaks to you, which is fantastic
Old 25-02-2011, 03:26 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
I am not monotheistic. I don't have any problem with monotheistic religions, they're just not my thang, I am a happy polytheist with some monist overtones. There are a few singular god 'pagan' religions. But admittedly, belief in a sole god was extremely uncommon until the rise of Christianity.

It sounds like you have found a spirituality that speaks to you, which is fantastic

Yeah Animus27, that is it exactly, it just seems like a monotheistic paganism folk religion is me to a tee heheeeeeee
Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 PM
LadyTerra

Hi Nightowl:

I think you are right where you need to be. There were many of our Ancient ForeMothers (for instance) who devoted themselves to one Goddess--the Vestal Virgins--the Dianic Priestesses--just to name a couple.

We all find our own paths--that is the beauty and freedom Paganism has to offer--and it is not uncommon to find that our path work and mode of worship evolves and grows along with us.

Peace and Love on your path to Discovering the Mysteries...

Blessed be...
Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra

We all find our own paths--that is the beauty and freedom Paganism has to offer--

Blessed be...

Thanks Lady Terra, there is a sweet freedom in Paganism. I is so nice to hear all the encouraging comments about finding what fits personally as a path. I am so happy to hear that more and more people seem to be awakening to this way of thinking.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:54 PM
LadyTerra

Me, too, Nightowl!!!