Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 02-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Experiencer
One day Lao Tzu was walking from one village he taught in to another, but he had to pass through another village where the people didn’t like his philosophy. So when he got to the center of the village an angry mob had gathered around him, shouting obscenities and calling him names. Lao Tzu sat down in the center of the village and closed his eyes. The people grew angry and kept yelling curse words at him, he remained quiescent. This went on for quite some time, eventually someone in the mob shouted; “What’s wrong with you, are you deaf, can’t you hear us yelling at you, why don’t you react?”

It was at this that Lao Tzu opened his eyes; “If it’s reaction you long for then you should have searched for me years ago and I would have reacted. But I have since seen through the use of force against force, I have seen that your words are your own and have nothing to do with me, so I don’t take your words, thus there is nothing to react to”

The mob grew quiet, he spoke again; “In the previous village I was well received, they loved me and brought many fine gifts which I also did not take. And what happens to gifts which are not taken?”

“They’re divided amongst the people and shared with everyone” said one in the angry mob.

“That is correct” replied Lao Tzu. “And since I don't take your words, who are you going to share them with?

It was at this that the mob was silenced. Lao Tzu stood up and walked to the edge of town, the mob followed silently behind.

“If there is more negativity you wish to get off your chest, more hatred and repressed anger you wish to cast out, I will be making my way through your town tomorrow around this same time. Good day!”
Old 04-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Experiencer
Two countries were fighting over the resources of a conquered territory. The leader of one country asked to speak to his wisest advisor about the war.

“I can win this war and claim possession of those resources if I use extremely destructive weapons. I know this will cause the loss of many soldiers’ lives and also the innocent. If you were in my shoes, what would you do?” Asked the leader.

“Let’s assume the world writes up an agreement and puts it before both leaders involved in the war for resources. The agreement reads: “If you take this with your left hand, your right hand will be chopped off. If you take this with your right hand, your left hand will be chopped off. But whoever takes it will get the world. Would you take it?” Asked the sage.

“I certainly would not. I cannot get my hand back after it’s chopped off!” Said the leader.

“Great. Look at it this way then: Your two hands are more important to you than the world. Your body is even more important than your hands. Thus, the resources of another country are far less significant than the whole world, which is not even as important as your two hands. So, how can you ask your soldiers and the innocent to give up their very lives so you can posses a few resources when you’re not willing to give up even one hand for the whole world?”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The leader was enraged when this truth dawned on him. He ordered the advisor arrested immediately and thrown into prison.

After a few weeks without food or water the leader went to see the advisor.

The advisor was sitting silently, eyes closed with a smile on his face.

“How can you be smiling when you’re in prison and have had nothing to eat or drink for days?” Asked the leader.

“What you see is the physical form behind bars and you say I am in prison. Yet, I am as free as I’ve ever been, because you cannot imprison my mind. As to the lack of food and water, if you continue to withhold them, then eventually this form will pass away, yet I will ever remain free from bondage, which is the cause for my smile.” Replied the advisor.

“What you said the other day, about me not being willing to give up even one hand when others are willing to give their very lives at my word, that hurt deeply. I thought of every possible way to refute it, to justify my actions for the war, but I cannot find a way out. Now, because of this I also cannot justify locking you up in prison or withholding food and water from you anymore. What have you done to me, I’ve never felt like this before?” Asked the leader.

“I have done nothing to you, but rather truth has convicted you and removed the callous from your heart. You now see with new eyes, the eyes of the heart instead of the eyes of the ego. At one point in my life I was nearly in the same situation as you, I was in charge of a large order of elite soldiers who worked for very rich merchants in securing the earths resources so they could sell them for profit, I could have caused many great harm just to inflate my pride and take possession of some of the riches of the earth for others to sell. But before I gave the order for the strike, I stopped and asked myself; “Which human being created the earth in that it could claim ownership of it and then sell it to another at a profit, and who am I to cause harm to others for this?” I was alarmed to realize that no human created the earth, and that we’re all guests here, thus, the earth’s resources must be all of ours to share. I realized that I was guilty of great ignorance. I was reminded of this enlightening past life experience when you asked me what I would do if I were in your shoes the other day, now you know why I said what I said to you.” Replied the sage.

“You have given me great pause in my mind, I cannot ever again think in the way I used to. And my first display of this new Way of seeing is to unlock your prison door and set you free. Thank you for this enlightenment.”

The sage bowed and went on his way.

This story above the line (------) was inspired by Livia Kohn in her book Chuang-tzu The Tao of Perfect Happiness. I took the liberty of adding and subtracting words to change the story, but the principle is the same.

Last edited by Within Silence : 04-07-2016 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:12 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Within Silence
The Wise Fisherman

An investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.
Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The investment banker looked inside the boat and complimented the fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

The man replied; “Only a little while.”

Banker asked; “Why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?”

“With this I have more than enough to support my family’s needs.”

Banker; “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The wise fisherman said; “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a nap, and then stroll into the village each evening with my wife where we sip wine and dance to live music, I have a very full and busy life.”

The investment banker scoffed; “I am a Harvard MBA, an expert at business and could help you. Here's what you need to do; you spend all your time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat, and then with those proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats. Eventually you could have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you could sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this tiny coastal village and move to a major city, then work your way up to New York where you will run your ever expanding business."

The wise fisherman asked; “How long would all this take?”

The banker replied; “Only 15-20 years.”

“Then what?” asked the fisherman.

The banker laughed and said; “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would be worth millions.”

“Wow, millions….then what?”

The banker said; “Then you would retire, move to a small coastal village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take naps, and then you and your wife would stroll into town in the evenings where you would dance and sip wine with your friends.”

Thanks for this story. It makes me laugh, at myself, because I am like the banker, although not as smart as him.

I have first encountered a story like this in an art gallery in Istanbul. That one was based on a true story, about a farmer, who is like your fisherman. At that time, I didn't laugh, but because I was jobless at the time, so I wasn't chasing for material gains. Now, I am, and I've been wondering if this is the life I want.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Experiencer
I think many of us are like the banker in the story at times, and I cannot say that it is wrong or right, it is as it is, and perhaps a very necessary way to be for a time.

Life is ebbs and flows, we're in a constant state of flux, in this state for a time, then that state, doing this for a time, then doing that for a time, and on and on and on it goes.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusionsay
A big, tough samurai once went to see a little monk.

"Monk!"

He barked, in a voice accustomed to instant obedience.

"Teach me about heaven and hell!"

The monk looked up at the mighty warrior and replied with utter disdain,

"Teach you about heaven and hell? I couldn't teach you about anything. You're dumb. You're dirty. You're a disgrace, an embarrassment to the samurai class. Get out of my sight. I can't stand you."

The samurai got furious. He shook, red in the face, speechless with rage. He pulled out his sword, and prepared to slay the monk.

Looking straight into the samurai's eyes, the monk said softly,

"That...is hell."

The samurai froze, his face changed from anger to understanding, realizing the compassion of the monk who had risked his life to show him hell! He put down his sword and fell to his knees, filled with gratitude.
"And that....is heaven."

I've heard that story before, but I always delight in hearing it again.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Experiencer
An old, wise master reveals his ultimate secret: "I don't mind what happens." The students miss the message because they are too busy minding what happens to them. Later, the master is swamped by his students chattering about this terrible thing and that terrible thing that has happened to them, and the master replies, "Is that so? Maybe." His refusal to stoke their egos causes them to be confused, and demand more answers, more and more and more, for the ego can never be satisfied. He simply repeats his ultimate secret, and then leaves his students to understand for themselves what he means.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Experiencer
There is an ancient Taoist story about a tree. The tree was old and crooked; every branch twisted and gnarled. Somebody walking by that old and crooked tree commented to Chuang Tzu what a useless tree it was; because the trunk and branches were so crooked the tree served no purpose at all.

Chuang Tzu replied:

The tree on the mountain height is its own enemy… The cinnamon tree is edible: so it is cut down! The lacquer tree is profitable: they maim it. Every man knows how useful it is to be useful. No one seems to know how useful it is to be useless.

The uselessness of the tree is what protected it. Nobody wanted it for anything, so they didn’t cut it down, and it lived to be very old, fulfilling its own nature.

“No one seems to know how useful it is to be useless.” What does it mean to be useless? It means being empty of striving to become something, to be anything special, freeing the mind from that kind of gaining idea. To become useless is to settle back and allow our own nature to express itself in a simple and easy way.

There’s a famous monk in Thailand who summed up this attitude of mind, and indeed the whole Dharma, in a very short saying. He said: “There is nothing to be, nothing to do, and nothing to have.” Nothing special. Everything is impermanent, everything is in flow, in constant transformation. If we can free ourselves of the striving to be someone special, to be a certain way, or to have certain things – free of that desire to do or to be or to have anything at all – we can settle back into the natural unfolding of Dharma.

Joseph Golstein, The Experience of Insight, Shambala Dragon Editions, p131
Old 14-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Seeker

Life is ebbs and flows, we're in a constant state of flux, in this state for a time, then that state, doing this for a time, then doing that for a time, and on and on and on it goes

Thats not my understanding of the teachings my brother, unite be at one with the ten thousand things, with unconditional love in your heart. i know its a big ask, but a worthy goal
love and contentment xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxaxxxxxxxxxxxxxx