Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 04-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Experiencer

The 5th Skandha

The 5th Skandha is Consciousness. Which is the Word vijñāna. Ive seen this word translated as Knowing. I've read that it is a conglomeration of all the other Skandhas. It has been defined as awareness of things. I've settled on the idea that it is a knowing built from all the other skandhas. I've been reading like every webpage I can find on Skandhas and I understand the first four it's consciousness that I'm having a hard time with. How does consciousness divide from awareness? I've read that awareness is the only thing that is permanent so awareness and consciousness cannot be the same thing because a skandha is impermanent. So what are the differences between Awareness and Consciousness? Besides impermenance.. What is Consciousness and what is awareness?
Old 04-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex
The 5th Skandha is Consciousness. Which is the Word vijñāna. Ive seen this word translated as Knowing. I've read that it is a conglomeration of all the other Skandhas. It has been defined as awareness of things. I've settled on the idea that it is a knowing built from all the other skandhas. I've been reading like every webpage I can find on Skandhas and I understand the first four it's consciousness that I'm having a hard time with. How does consciousness divide from awareness? I've read that awareness is the only thing that is permanent so awareness and consciousness cannot be the same thing because a skandha is impermanent. So what are the differences between Awareness and Consciousness? Besides impermenance.. What is Consciousness and what is awareness?

Consciousness is awareness. If you were aware of nothing, not even an awareness of nothing as a "lack of something," then there would be no consciousness. Consciousness is a perception of something. Or said another way, Perception needs the perceived to exist.

We are that which perceives. What we are as experience is what we perceive. Perception has two parts, the perceiver and the perceived and both are required for existence of each other. Because if you took away all that could be perceived, there could be no perception so a perceiver could not exist as experience. All enlightenment is, is changing what we perceive and therefore, what we experience. If you had the perception of an enlightened person, you would have enlightenment.

But remember we are using imperfect and limited language to discuss these things. People use the words consciousness and awareness etc in many different ways referring to very different things or situations or realities. Words are used to point to a meaning one can realize about the nature of things or themselves. So going back to your questions:

Quote:
How does consciousness divide from awareness?
What is Consciousness and what is awareness?

Consciousness is always aware of something. Otherwise, it would not be conscious. If you get put to sleep by a dentist, you are unconscious. You have no consciousness.

But maybe you are asking about a person who is wholly focusing on and projecting whatever thoughts are in their mind as themselves and as reality. They don't have the awareness necessary to transcend experiencing themselves as their thoughts. So now we have the concepts of higher and lower awareness.

There could be 5 people sitting at a bus stop and an accident happens in front of them on the road. A cop shows up and asks all five what they saw about the accident. One says, "oh sorry I was looking at my phone and didn't see anything." Another says, "Well the red car slammed on his breaks it was his fault." Another says, "Well no a kid ran into the street and that's why the red car slammed on his breaks." Then another says, "That was not a kid, that was a dog." Then another says, "No the kid was holding the dog in his arms on the curb the whole time and he is still there look."

One can be aware of a lot or a little. It's not that consciousness divides from awareness. It's that one can be aware of and focusing on the realty presented by their thoughts, or one can "zoom out" and become aware of the whole mechanism of thought and from this higher vantage point and awareness, transcend thought as one's reality and change it's role in the production of experience.

But yea using language we can say things like, "Oh he was unaware." But really such a person did have awareness of "something." But maybe it was just an awareness of some thought and nothing that was actually present outside this thought they were wholly focusing on.

Quote:
I've read that awareness is the only thing that is permanent.

Like I said, these words, consciousness and awareness are used to represent many different things and have many different uses and meanings depending on the context and what the person is trying to convey as far as an idea. I myself like to use the words "conscious energy" to describe what we are. But yea I can use the word consciousness to describe different things. I could call myself awareness as well but I don't think it works very well as a word for the true self. But yea it's a quality that describes perception or a perceiver. Words are very limited things actually. That's why we have sentences and paragraphs. You need many words to try to describe a meaning.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Suspended
Quote:

Awareness is knowing that something exists and is important...

Consciousness is the state of being able to use your senses and mental powers to understand what is happening.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Master
Quote:

The Buddha teachings in the Pali Canon describe the five aggregates as follows:

"form" or "matter"[a] (Skt., Pāli रूप rūpa; Tib. gzugs): matter, body or "material form" of a being or any existence.[5][21] Buddhist texts state rupa of any person, sentient being and object to be composed of four basic elements or forces, that is earth (solidity), water (cohesion), fire (heat) and wind (motion).[3]

"sensation" or "feeling" (Skt., Pāli वेदना vedanā; Tib. tshor-ba): sensory experience of an object.[21] It is either pleasant, unpleasant or neutral.[b][c]

"perception" (Skt. संज्ञा saṃjñā, Pāli सञ्ञा saññā, Tib. 'du-shes): sensory and mental process that registers, recognizes and labels (for instance, the shape of a tree, color green, emotion of fear).[21]

"mental formations", "constructing activities",[21] "conditioned things", "volition", "karmic activities" (Skt. संस्कार saṃskāra, Pāli सङ्खार saṅkhāra, Tib. 'du-byed): all types of mental imprints and conditioning triggered by an object.[22][23][d] This skandha includes any process that makes a person initiate action or act.[21]

"consciousness", "discrimination" or "discernment"[e] (Skt. विज्ञान vijñāna, Pāli विञ्ञाण viññāṇa, Tib. rnam-par-shes-pa): This includes, states Peter Harvey, awareness of an object and discrimination of its components and aspects, and is of six types.[21] The Buddhist literature discusses this skandha as,

In the Nikayas/Āgamas: cognizance,[24][f] that which discerns[25][g]

In the Abhidhamma: a series of rapidly changing interconnected discrete acts of cognizance.[h]

In some Mahayana sources: the base that supports all experience.[i]

The initial part of the Buddhist practice is purification of each of the above "five aggregates" through meditation and virtues. Ultimately, the practice shifts to considering these as naive, then transcending them to reach the state of realization that there is neither person nor self within, or in any other being, states Harvey, where everyone and everything is without self or substantiality and is a "cluster of changing physical and mental processes".[20][26] David Kalupahana clarifies that the individual is considered unreal but the skandha are considered real in some early Buddhist texts, but the skandha too are considered unreal and nonsubstantial in numerous other Buddhist Nikaya and Agama texts.[27]

With regard to the 5th one:

Referring to mahamudra teachings, Chogyam Trungpa [61] identifies the form aggregate as the "solidification" of ignorance (Pali, avijja; Skt., avidya), allowing one to have the illusion of "possessing" ever dynamic and spacious wisdom (Pali, vijja; Skt. vidya), and thus being the basis for the creation of a dualistic relationship between "self" and "other."[w]

According to Trungpa Rinpoche,[62] the five skandhas are "a set of Buddhist concepts which describe experience as a five-step process" and that "the whole development of the five skandhas...is an attempt on our part to shield ourselves from the truth of our insubstantiality," while "the practice of meditation is to see the transparency of this shield." [63]

The Prajnaparamita-teachings developed from the first century BCE onward. It emphasises the "emptiness" of everything that exists. This means that there are no eternally existing "essences", since everything is dependently originated. The skandhas too are dependently originated, and lack any substantial existence .[p]

This is famously stated in the Heart Sutra. The Sanskrit version[q] of the classic "Prajnaparamita Hridaya Sutra" ("Heart Sutra") states:

The noble Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva,

while practicing the deep practice of Prajnaparamita
looked upon the Five Skandhas,
seeing they were empty of self-existence,[54][r][s][t][u][v]

said, "Here Shariputra,

form is emptiness, emptiness is form,
emptiness is not separate from form,
form is not separate from emptiness;
whatever is form is emptiness,
whatever is emptiness is form."[54]

The same is true with feelings, perceptions, mental formations and consciousness.[55]

They all lead to the realization/being of emptiness.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:08 PM
Master
Here is a great article on mindfulness and the skandhas.

http://www.lionsroar.com/tiny-slippe...ana-tradition/