Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 27-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Arawn

Wicca (How to Learn About, etc.)

I've recently started researching Wicca (yet again in my life) and I was curious if any of the practitioners on here know of any good books or website for research.

I've heard of talking with a practitioner in real life (in person), but I don't live in an area very conducive to that so I'm stuck with online research and book research for now (unless someone on here is willing to "take me under their wing" to help me along, but I've questions to ask before that happens).

Anyway, for anyone who practices (other than the above question):

- How long have you been practicing?

- What made you decide to get into Wicca or were your parents Wiccan?

- How do you feel in regards to deities? Is there just the one (male/female), multiple deities, all deities are aspects of one deities, all deities are aspects of the self, etc.? Why do you think that?

- Are you a solitary practitioner or do you practice in a coven? Why?

- Do you practice a specific type of Wicca (traditional or non-traditional)? Why?

- How have you learned to practice Wicca?

Feel free to add any information!
Old 27-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Master
Arawn, as a start I would suggest reading through this thread. You will find much know-how, often contradictory, but worth reading for all that.
IMO - most "books" on wicca are poor, especially those by authors with silly, made-up names. Wicca is to be lived and practiced, not read about.

To be open and honest about it, I gave up wicca because of all the meaningless rituals and arguments that surround it. Wicca is a new branch on a very old tree. My path is the "old tree".

Final word - American Wicca is different to Brit. Wicca and given that Wicca is of Brit, origin .... well ,make up your own mind.
Whatever you decide, make it a PERSONAL path, not one bound by rules and ritual.
Old 27-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Quintessence

Although I don't tend to identify as Wiccan for various reasons, it is where I started when I discovered Neopaganism. Where you start in some ways depends on what kind of person you are and what your goals are. I read absolutely anything I could get my hands on. I was in college at the time, so that also meant loaning (and interlibrary loaning) academic works on Neopaganism. If you're a massive nerd like I am, I'd recommend that kind of approach. If, however, you're not... you probably want to be more selective about what you read, right?

On that, I'd still recommend a diversity of perspectives just so you can get a sense of what is out there. Read something of all the "big name Pagan" authors. Ones I'd put on my list would include (but are not limited to) Buckland, Bonewitz, Cunningham, Penczak, Ravenwolf, and Starhawk. On the academic end, Greenwood, Berger, Adler, and Hutton. Some styles might appeal to you. Others won't. Reading a wide range of authors and styles helps you figure out what works best for your own personal path.

Honestly, I haven't kept up on the Wicca-specific literature for the past few years, so I don't have a good sense of what's out there anymore.
Old 27-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Medium_Laura

I would agree with Q. He named some of the best authors on the subject. My favorites are Cunningham and Ravenwolf. Basic and very easy to understand for beginners.
Old 27-02-2012, 03:16 PM
ArianHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn
Anyway, for anyone who practices (other than the above question):

- How do you feel in regards to deities? Is there just the one (male/female), multiple deities, all deities are aspects of one deities, all deities are aspects of the self, etc.? Why do you think that?

- Do you practice a specific type of Wicca (traditional or non-traditional)? Why?

Hi Arawn (Arawn - Arian = yay!)

- I've been practicing Wicca for about 6 months. I've KNOWN of Wicca for 4 years and got into it then, but I didn't read much about it and forgot about it for a while, seeing as its not taught in schools :(

- I had a friend who was talking about Wicca one day and I decided to go to the library to find out about it! The only book they had was 'The REAL witches year' by Kate West. I read it all and I wanted to keep it forever, but unfortunately, I had to take it back and when this happened I followed the moon phases for about a year until I left it at that. The second time around, however, I was simply on Google and came across the word 'Witch'. My curiosity overcome me and I started looking up Wicca all over again.

- In regards to deities I am a soft polytheist. This means I believe that all Gods are different images of the one, true, God. I believe that the one true God has his/her image in everything, whether it be Zeus, or a tree. Currently I am researching Hinduism and Egyptian deities.

- I practice solitary. I find covens usually practice specific traditions (Alexandrian etc) and I don't believe what they believe in! I like to research for myself without others telling me what I should believe in. I'm not close minded to the idea of a coven though, I guess I just haven't found a one suited to me.

- Pretty sure I've basically answered this. But i don't practice traditional Wicca.

- I research on the internet. I read books. I speak to people on the internet (I don't know any pagans in person!) about their beliefs. I write lists. I listen to my heart and do what feels right and not what others tell me I should do.

You said you may want someone to take you "under their wing". Although I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as others here. I would be interested in learning WITH you, and discussing Wicca in more detail. We might find out or beliefs are similar and teach what the other doesn't know!

Blessings,

Arian Hawk
Old 27-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Master
oops ! missed the questions.

How long have you been practicing ? - about 40 years - no books or "gurus", all by experience, trial and error.
What made you decide to get into wicca ? - nature worship. Interest in wicca lasted only a short time. I was directed to my path by a Wiccan HPS.
Deities ? - only ever one, Mother Earth [Gaia]
Solitary or coven ? - no interest in covens.
Type of wicca ? - Cunning Craft [pre-christian]
How have you learned ? - purely by experience and wandering in England's wild places, observing. Becoming part of the Land.
Old 27-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Tanith

First I would like to add that Scott Cunningham is a good place to start, in my opinion. I discovered him late into my learnings but still found him a valuable resource.

Mostly, however, focus on what YOU believe and wish to practice, that is the best teacher.

Also, a question to add might be, "Do you consider yourself a witch, Wiccan, or both." Some people think one thing but the general idea that floats around SEEMS to be 'Not all Wiccans are witches and not all witches are wiccan." I consider myself mostly a witch but I do follow the wiccan path of neopaganism :)

Secondly,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn

Officially I have been practicing four or five years, but discovered recently that I've always been practicing, even since I was a child, even if I didn't know it then.

My mother is/was wiccan and has always been a witch. I grew up around it and she taught me a lot.

My thoughts concerning the deities are complex: I recognize, officially, two separate entities who are equal in power and importance, both coming from the same Source, one masculine, one feminine (specifically the Lord and Lady). However, I see all gods and goddesses as aspects of these, because of my general belief that no religion is wrong. Therefore I honor different gods and goddesses with the knowledge that they are all the same. At the very least, someone somewhere prays to or reveres them as their god and/or goddess, so they at least are deserving of that respect from me.

I am solitary, but I am solitary with a small group of people as I often joke. My mother is/was solitary, and sort of passed it on to me. I met other solitaries, and we sometimes do stuff together, but largely practice on our own.

I learned by doing and listening and watching. A lot of the knowledge I have I feel like I have always had, without ever really learning it from anywhere. Knowledge comes from within and without- from all sources. The things I have always inherently believed make up my beliefs now, though I have incorporated things I've learned into them as well.