Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2015, 05:57 PM
agalo379

Practicing Loving-Kindness

Hi All,

So I discovered this lady on youtube. I don't remember her name, but she has a website called the enthusiastic buddhist. She gave this little exercise which was pretty similar to telling people, "God bless you" or "Have a blessed day" in your head. Basically, the exercise involved mentally saying to people,"May you be happy and live without suffering," or something like that.

I tried doing this today and noticed some interesting things. At first, I just felt like I was saying (in my head), just to say it. It didn't feel like it meant anything. So, instead of just saying it, I tried to imagine the person I was directing this towards being happy and living without suffering. This helped to make the good will seem more tangible.

Another thing I noticed was that I had a harder time doing this sincerely with certain people. There were some people who I was a little envious of or who I felt like didn't deserve to be happy. I didn't out right think, "this person doesn't deserve happiness," but I was reluctant to give my good will away. I was judging people! I don't think of myself as a judgmental person, but this exercise showed me how we can judge people in insidious ways. It really gave me insight on how I can work to be a better person.

I wonder if anybody else has tried something like this. What was your experience? Do you think an exercise like this might be useful in day to day activities? How else, other than meditating, can we grow the trait of or practice loving-kindness?