Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 01-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
quite......

Thanks for saying "quite", Mac. We Americans (DON'T call ME a "Yank"! ) always assume that Brits say that all the time. That and "Well, RA-THER!"

But anyway. . . yes, I assumed from the Thread heading that this was about the appearance of the discarnate body, in the afterlife. And the accounts I've read indicate that the person assumes the appearance - or at least, can assume it if he or she so desires - of themselves, in their prime, or at some particular age of their own life they choose.

This comes across "quite" frequently: in Spiritualistic materializations, after death communications, and near death experiences.

Frequently, for example, a near death experiencer will say something akin to "I saw my daughter there. My daughter died at age 5, 20 years ago, but I saw her as a beautiful woman in her mid 20's. I knew the instant I saw her that it was her!"

Or, "My grandparents were there! They both died about 10 years ago and they were both around 80 when they died, but when I saw them they were a young couple: strong, beautiful, healthy. But somehow I knew right away that it was them."

Jim
Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Experiencer

I've never heard any accounts of someone appearing as a bird or mammal or for that matter, any human other than who and what they were. Joe Dork doesn't look like Gregory Peck, nor Susy Simple like Marilyn Monroe, if they didn't look like that at some point in earthly life.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Behind
Thanks for saying "quite", Mac. We Americans (DON'T call ME a "Yank"! ) always assume that Brits say that all the time. That and "Well, RA-THER!"

But anyway. . . yes, I assumed from the Thread heading that this was about the appearance of the discarnate body, in the afterlife. And the accounts I've read indicate that the person assumes the appearance - or at least, can assume it if he or she so desires - of themselves, in their prime, or at some particular age of their own life they choose.

This comes across "quite" frequently: in Spiritualistic materializations, after death communications, and near death experiences.

Frequently, for example, a near death experiencer will say something akin to "I saw my daughter there. My daughter died at age 5, 20 years ago, but I saw her as a beautiful woman in her mid 20's. I knew the instant I saw her that it was her!"

Or, "My grandparents were there! They both died about 10 years ago and they were both around 80 when they died, but when I saw them they were a young couple: strong, beautiful, healthy. But somehow I knew right away that it was them."

Jim

Oh rather old boy, what, what....! No we Brits don't speak quite like that, Jim, although some of my North American friends enjoy trying to wind me up by making out that we do. One or two even say I sound like the gecko in the GEICO adverts!

And I'm mindful that in the USA, some Americans say 'quite' when they mean 'very'. In UK English 'quite' is a limiting term - 'quite interesting' would mean it's fairly interesting but not very interesting. It took me quite (!) some time to figure that my American counterparts were giving praise rather than limiting it when using 'quite' before another adjective.

I rarely use the word 'Yank' unless I'm in the company of good American friends (as a leg-pull) or unless I've been called a 'Limey'. I might even refer to 'colonists' if someone is taking a pop at me. But I digress....

I'm pleased to hear that you, too, saw the situation as I do - that of the appearance of the etheric form. (And nice examples you've given.)

I do wonder at times if other contributors pay any attention to the thread title.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:25 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Behind
I've never heard any accounts of someone appearing as a bird or mammal or for that matter, any human other than who and what they were. Joe Dork doesn't look like Gregory Peck, nor Susy Simple like Marilyn Monroe, if they didn't look like that at some point in earthly life.

I've heard from a number of members whose ideas about 'spirit' encompass some way-out notions. Wanting to re-incarnate as an animal form etc. isn't uncommon, or having animal guides. Their ideas about the spirit come from sources which at best I find 'iffy' and, at worst, absurd.

But each to their own and in the main I now leave 'em be unless they post their notions in forums where such ideas do not belong.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarra
From my research, the general consensus seems to be that your astral body takes on the appearance of the best possible version of you: young, healthy, strong, but with the same features you have had in your human body.

My question is, do you folks believe this is the case, or do you think things are more, shall we say, "fluid" than that? I personally would love to take the form of a bird, as cheesy and drug-store-novel as that sounds.

Opinions?

You will take on an appearance broadly the same as you are now, though younger. Imperfections and blemishes, so to speak, will be gone.
The body will reflect your true inner nature, so the person who had a heart of gold will have that nobleness of character reflected in their spirit body. They will 'shine', they will be beautiful in the highest sense of the word.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Experiencer

And since Spiritualists believe that we continue to progress, intellectually and spiritually, while within the world of spirit, I'd suspect that over time, this progress would also be reflected in our spiritual body.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Oh rather old boy, what, what....! No we Brits don't speak quite like that, Jim, although some of my North American friends enjoy trying to wind me up by making out that we do. One or two even say I sound like the gecko in the GEICO adverts!

And I'm mindful that in the USA, some Americans say 'quite' when they mean 'very'. In UK English 'quite' is a limiting term - 'quite interesting' would mean it's fairly interesting but not very interesting. It took me quite (!) some time to figure that my American counterparts were giving praise rather than limiting it when using 'quite' before another adjective.

I rarely use the word 'Yank' unless I'm in the company of good American friends (as a leg-pull) or unless I've been called a 'Limey'. I might even refer to 'colonists' if someone is taking a pop at me. But I digress....

I'm pleased to hear that you, too, saw the situation as I do - that of the appearance of the etheric form. (And nice examples you've given.)

I do wonder at times if other contributors pay any attention to the thread title.

I never realized that about "quite", Mac. Another example of how we are divided by a common language!

Another example I've heard is "momentarily". In the US, it means, "in a moment". I understand that in the UK it means, "for a moment".

The story goes that some British passengers became frightened when the American pilot announced, "Momentarily we will be flying over the Atlantic Ocean". They wondered what would happen after that: a crash-landing into the water?

I was very disappointed when I first visited England and saw only one gent during my whole visit wearing a bowler hat. It was at Oxford University. He was a middle-aged man who was yelling at a young man who appeared to be a student.

Someone told me afterward that he was a "Bulldog": a kind of security guard with authority to keep the students in line.

Jim
Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Experiencer

As far as "Yanks": I was thinking of an article in a UK airgun magazine. A group from England had attended a shoot in North Carolina, and enjoyed the hospitality: commenting that the Yanks really knew how to put on a party.

I found myself laughing as to whether some of these North Carolina "Rebs" might look askance at being called "Yanks"! Much as a visitor to Wales or Scotland might rankle some local people by calling them "English".

Jim
Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Juanita

this has been a fascinating subject....I would like to add some comments but not to anyone in particular....we are beautiful BEINGS OF LIGHT who are temporarily in a physical body......there are many levels on the Otherside where we do not need or want a spiritual "body" but it is always available to us......we do usually appear to loved ones as they know us, but at the age we were our best, healthy and beautiful.......but don't forget that we have donned many, many physical bodies through our journey through many lives and we may prefer one spritual likeness over another at any given time.......

those who think that their loved ones can return as animals or birds are very misinformed as it it onward and forward and never backward......but spirit does have the capability of sending animals and birds as "signs" to their loved ones and they very often do...............
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 PM
mac

Left Behind I never realized that about "quite", Mac. Another example of how we are divided by a common language! As GBS so rightly said!

Another example I've heard is "momentarily". In the US, it means, "in a moment". I understand that in the UK it means, "for a moment". bang on! Yet one more we've had to adapt to - as with 'different than' rather than 'different from' although in Scientific American I've seen the latter used so maybe it's a verbal slang?

The story goes that some British passengers became frightened when the American pilot announced, "Momentarily we will be flying over the Atlantic Ocean". They wondered what would happen after that: a crash-landing into the water? eek!

I was very disappointed when I first visited England and saw only one gent during my whole visit wearing a bowler hat. It was at Oxford University. He was a middle-aged man who was yelling at a young man who appeared to be a student. I'm a hat person and I'd love to wear a bowler but how ridiculous would that look in Mansfield? In the USA hats of all sorts are unremarkable but in the UK it's mostly young uns who wear emblazoned baseball style caps. Old ####s like me wearing 'em are atypical but I still wear mine!

Someone told me afterward that he was a "Bulldog": a kind of security guard with authority to keep the students in line. In some universities (colleges!) the house master used to wear one as a symbol of his authority I guess - keepin' young uns in line a little... When I was in English Grammar School our senior teachers wore a black gown routinely and in morning service and formal occasions some also wore 'mortar boards'! Such days are probably gone for urchins like me - grammar schools all but disappeared, classics rarely taught unless it's in private schools....