Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:12 PM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: I live in a house with a door. The house out in back is the dawg's house.
Posts: 2,978
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
You don't need them but you enjoy looking at them as you look at Photos of loved one's who are not with you....
What I used to find funny was in the catechist there would be a picture of God depicted as an old man and on another page was a picture of Jesus. Oh I almost forgot, and a picture of baby Jesus.

But then when you look at Christianity today, for the most part, she appears to be a religion not just divorced from the Way but in many aspects is almost the opposite in belief and teachings.
__________________
..
.

He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote: ........... April 4th, 1984.
..................
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:12 PM
ThatMan ThatMan is offline
Ascender
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 845
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
You don't need them but you enjoy looking at them as you look at Photos of loved one's who are not with you....

Yes, I can understand this but some people give them too much power, to me they are just man made objects. My country has a long history with christian paintings performing miracles or even shedding tears.
__________________
Christ is the absolute truth.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:15 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 7,953
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
I know, yet even the early christians used symbols like the cross, and this symbol pre-existed before Christ.



Early Christians definitely used icons, Luke the Evangelist is said to be the first Icon Painter.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 PM
ThatMan ThatMan is offline
Ascender
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 845
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Early Christians definitely used icons, Luke the Evangelist is said to be the first Icon Painter.

I heard about this.
__________________
Christ is the absolute truth.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:22 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 7,953
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
Yes, I can understand this but some people give them too much power, to me they are just man made objects. My country has a long history with christian paintings performing miracles or even shedding tears.


Some people give a piece of wood power If it gives someone comfort and hurts nobody leave well alone...

Miracles can obviously happen through the Icon but it's not the icons power it's your own mind that does the work...
Mind over matter
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 7,953
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
I heard about this.


Yes icons/sculptures etc: are part of early Christianity.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:35 PM
ThatMan ThatMan is offline
Ascender
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 845
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Some people give a piece of wood power If it gives someone comfort and hurts nobody leave well alone...

Miracles can obviously happen through the Icon but it's not the icons power it's your own mind that does the work...
Mind over matter

This is the way I used to think when I was a child while I was hearing stories about icons performing miracles, I used to say that it was the faith of people who actually made those miracles real. Of course, I kept this for myself, why would anyone listen to a child, yes they are just a man made objects.
__________________
Christ is the absolute truth.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 7,953
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
This is the way I used to think when I was a child while I was hearing stories about icons performing miracles, I used to say that it was the faith of people who actually made those miracles real. Of course, I kept this for myself, why would anyone listen to a child, yes they are just a man made objects.



Man made from Divine Intervention maybe....
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 PM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: I live in a house with a door. The house out in back is the dawg's house.
Posts: 2,978
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Yes icons/sculptures etc: are part of early Christianity.
Where did you get this idea?

Not one is mentioned in the New Testament.

Not true. This came about later.
__________________
..
.

He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote: ........... April 4th, 1984.
..................
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:44 PM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: I live in a house with a door. The house out in back is the dawg's house.
Posts: 2,978
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Early Christians definitely used icons, Luke the Evangelist is said to be the first Icon Painter.
Where in the Bible does it claim Luke was an icon painter?

He was a doctor.
__________________
..
.

He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote: ........... April 4th, 1984.
..................
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums