Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 13-01-2019, 02:41 AM
Newbie ;)

sundance ceremony

I cannot but think the Sundance ritual barbaric. I don't think the Great Spirit is the least bit impressed by people's tearing out chunks of their chest flesh. Wakan Tanka does not WANT you to hurt yourself: your body is the temple of the Spirit!
Sure, it's a belief system; but it reminds me of those people in the Philippines who crucify themselves every good Friday.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:29 AM
Newbie ;)

How do you know what wakan tanka knows what is best for you ? Obviously you have never been to a Sundance Ceremony. As a Sundance lodge holder/conductor- it is a far cry from tearing chunks of flesh from your body. I suggest you get your facts & accusations in order prior to making any judgements. You quoted “ the body is the temple of the spirit “ - How would you know that ? Because you read it somewhere? The body is much more then a temple. Since your so Hypercritical of our way of life maybe you shouldn’t try to find a meaning to our practices and ways.
Old 13-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Master

Perhaps an alternative view point is needed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK4fCv5ekzI

Since I am not Native American – I don’t see it as my right nor my business to judge how people choose to revive their own culture, besides I think every indigenous group has gone through the mill and have had a gutful of shaming, demoralizing as they have had their cultures deemed evil of the devil etc. etc. - all ancestral spiritual cultural forms forbidden and on their own land!

Old 13-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Serpentina I don't know where you got your information from but you are so wrong the sun dance is done by many tribes my friends grandsons often dance in them.please stop being so judgemental about tribes beliefs if you don't know anything about them.

Namaste
Old 13-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Knower
In the Old Days before the coming of the White Man, the Sun Dance was a way of sharing and giving away. Stories were told, and prayers were made. It was a part of the Vision Quest. When the White Man came, some felt self sacrifice would keep harm from coming to the people. That is how that practice started, and it continues today in a changed form. In the old days, "Wakan Tanka" means the Great Mystery of the Universe. The term did not represent an singular entity.
Old 16-01-2019, 03:56 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Serpentina quote:
I cannot but think the Sundance ritual barbaric. I don't think the Great Spirit is the least bit impressed by people's tearing out chunks of their chest flesh.

Is it only the chest you are concerned with?
If you had a clue, Serpent Tina you might want to look at the barbaric practices of Doctors slicing people open for profit.
And then there are patients who willingly let them slice and dice. All while hoping for a healing outcome.

Serpent Tina if you had a clue of what a Sundance is or about you might see it in a different light.
Best not partake in soup from a heyoka ceremony either.