Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 30-11-2018, 12:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
I'm another lifter......In my 20's I was a competitive powerlifter....I still lift 4 days per week but have not competed for years and have backed off the weight as I've gotten older.

Your comment on the amount of meat you eat caught my attention.
This begs the question...just how much protein do you need???

I have about 75-80kg (175lb) lean mass and I work on a gram of protein per lb = 175g. 100 g of cooked lean meat has about 25g protein, so that's 700g cooked. Meat loses maybe 20% of weight when cooked, so that's 875 g of meat. I get some protein from veges/bread/oats/protein powder, so I probably have about 750g a day before cooking.

Quote:
Your hypothetical non-training "average person" can assimilate about 18 to 25 grams of quality protein in a single meal depending on health and physical condition

That might be right for sedentary people.

Quote:
That same hypothetical "non-training person" needs about a 1/4 gram of quality protein per pound of body weight for maintenance.

I say "quality protein" ..IE, animal sources.....with vegetable sources of protein you will need more because vegetable sources of protein are not assimilated by the body as well as animal sources.

1/4 g sounds minimalist for sedentary people. Otherwise they'll need a lot of carbs and fat to make up their calories. What we'd aim for is enough protein within that macronutrient balance. I'd suggest 1/4g/lb protein is enough, but more than that would be optimal.

Vegans will need a slightly higher total quota because, as you say, plant proteins aren't utilised as easily.

Quote:
With vegetable sources of protein ....there is also the requirement to eat enough different types of protein bearing foods that you get a complete amino acid profile since most vegetable source don't have that or barely have that and so combining plant based foods becomes very necessary to get complete protein amino acid profiles.

Exactly.

The information below is specifically related to muscle growth.

Quote:
So lets talk about a hard training lifter.

it is generally agreed by experts in the training field that hard training lifters will require 1/2 gram to as much as 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight for not just maintenance but to support growth.

The science says between 0.75 and 1g per pound of lean body mass (total weight - fat weight). Older folk should be on the higher end because age affects how well the body utilises nutrients.

Quote:
It is also generally agreed that the strength athlete can assimilate a bit more protein than a non-training person.....as much as 30 to 35 grams at a sitting

True - about 40g is general consensus of the science.

Quote:
So if you're are talking about very lean red meat....you are talking about perhaps a 4 to 5 oz serving....about 200 to 220 calories worth.....Consuming more than that at a single sitting adds nothing but calories to the equation as the body just can't use it all at once

If you are talking about plant based protein you will require more grams of protein bearing food simply to offset the lower average uptake of plant protein.

Gem....I'm glad you started this thread.....as a life long lifter its something I'm extremely interested in!

I'm not so sure about utilising only 20g a sitting for muscle growth. There was some rabble about that for a while, but that research used fast absorbing whey protein concentrate and didn't account for slower digesting food proteins or how other nutrients like carbs and fat taken at the same meal affect protein utilisation.

In practice, if a lifter eats 30g a meal and has 4 meals, that is only 120g of protein, so the math starts to not make sense. The newer science says "Based on the current evidence, we conclude that to maximize anabolism one should consume protein at a target intake of 0.4 g/kg/meal across a minimum of four meals in order to reach a minimum of 1.6 g/kg/day."

Full article: (https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/arti...970-018-0215-1)

*Readers should keep in mind that the above information is specific to muscle growth and resistance training.

Last edited by Gem : 30-11-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Master
Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Master