Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 13-10-2018, 04:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Grows
Thats why its called Ignorance, IGNORE-rance .... people ignore stuff right in there faces!! because they are cowards..
You know, I have often internally questioned what makes a person "ignorant" and the best I could come up with is that ignorance is usually not aware of its own ignorance until it is...and then they become "spiritual people".
Old 13-10-2018, 04:54 AM
Suspended
Well there is also a difference between ignorance and nescience too..

Nescience vs ignorance, context of not knowing.
Nescience: From the Latin verb nesciere “to not know because knowledge was absent or unattainable.”
Ignorance: From the Latin verb ignorare “to not know even though necessary information is present, because that information has been wilfully refused or disregarded.”
Old 13-10-2018, 05:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Well there is also a difference between ignorance and nescience too..

Nescience vs ignorance, context of not knowing.
Nescience: From the Latin verb nesciere “to not know because knowledge was absent or unattainable.”
Ignorance: From the Latin verb ignorare “to not know even though necessary information is present, because that information has been wilfully refused or disregarded.”
Touche, my friend.

Of course, you also realise that according to the Greco-Roman...everybody has been misusing the word "Agnostic" for WAY too long now...

The thing is, what role does will play in regards to cognitive bias? and is "ignoring" something the human brain receptors wilfully or unwilfully do???
Old 13-10-2018, 06:19 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Touche, my friend.

Of course, you also realise that according to the Greco-Roman...everybody has been misusing the word "Agnostic" for WAY too long now...

The thing is, what role does will play in regards to cognitive bias? and is "ignoring" something the human brain receptors wilfully or unwilfully do???

I actually read about a tribe that was unable to identify even a color as a color because it was not named in their culture.It was a shade of blue.That is the extent to which our cognitive biases effect us.
Old 13-10-2018, 06:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamerica
I actually read about a tribe that was unable to identify even a color as a color because it was not named in their culture.It was a shade of blue.That is the extent to which our cognitive biases effect us.
Maoris from New Zealand call all transport "canoe" and so, airplane becomes "flying canoe'...

There is also a colour called "octazine"...the blue we see in the peacock tail feather isn't really blue...it is a colour our eyes make up to compensate for a colour that is not even there.
Old 13-10-2018, 06:29 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Maoris from New Zealand call all transport "canoe" and so, airplane becomes "flying canoe'...

There is also a colour called "octazine"...the blue we see in the peacock tail feather isn't really blue...it is a colour our eyes make up to compensate for a colour that is not even there.

As journalist Katherine Xue explains, Harvard chemical engineer Vinothan N. Manoharan studies what are known as “structural colors”—colors that are produced in nature by the shape of a surface, rather than its chemical content. A peacock’s tail feathers, for example, contain microscopic ridges, which interfere with light, causing some wavelengths to cancel each other out, and others to be amplified, resulting in the birds’ signature iridescent blue color (the narrow grooves on a compact disc have the same effect). One fun consequence of producing color this way is that it’s easy to make it disappear: The Harvard Magazine article notes that if you grind up a peacock’s feathers, there’s no blue at all in what’s left behind.
Old 13-10-2018, 06:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamerica
As journalist Katherine Xue explains, Harvard chemical engineer Vinothan N. Manoharan studies what are known as “structural colors”—colors that are produced in nature by the shape of a surface, rather than its chemical content. A peacock’s tail feathers, for example, contain microscopic ridges, which interfere with light, causing some wavelengths to cancel each other out, and others to be amplified, resulting in the birds’ signature iridescent blue color (the narrow grooves on a compact disc have the same effect). One fun consequence of producing color this way is that it’s easy to make it disappear: The Harvard Magazine article notes that if you grind up a peacock’s feathers, there’s no blue at all in what’s left behind.
That was very interesting...thanks for sharing it.

We shall then move from peacocks feather to the rudraksha fruit...the blue quandong species...it has the same colour and refractive qualities of the peacock feather, but in the lab, it is measured to be colourless...interesting...
Old 13-10-2018, 06:38 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
That was very interesting...thanks for sharing it.

We shall then move from peacocks feather to the rudraksha fruit...the blue quandong species...it has the same colour and refractive qualities of the peacock feather, but in the lab, it is measured to be colourless...interesting...

Yes ,interesting.I have read a lot about this phenomenon in the past.You're right.

Have you watched the movie the pursuit of "happyness" ?
It is a very nice movie.
Old 13-10-2018, 08:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Thats why its called Ignorance, IGNORE-rance .... people ignore stuff right in there faces!! because they are cowards..
Interesting, very nice. I've been having a conversation with someone about this. He essentially says truth is an illusion and is subjective; and that what I perceive as lies, is truth to others. I say truth is quite real; that lies are very obvious to anyone with any degree of conscious awareness; that people who lie very often know they are lying; and that they will do everything to avoid admitting it, including lying to cover up their lies.

Ignoring others' requests to have them stop with the lying and start speaking the truth, in other words.
Old 13-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Interesting, very nice. I've been having a conversation with someone about this. He essentially says truth is an illusion and is subjective; and that what I perceive as lies, is truth to others. I say truth is quite real; that lies are very obvious to anyone with any degree of conscious awareness; that people who lie very often know they are lying; and that they will do everything to avoid admitting it, including lying to cover up their lies.

Ignoring others' requests to have them stop with the lying and start speaking the truth, in other words.
I think what a person values (and doesn't value) determines what he or she focuses on, perceives, appreciates, acknowledges, heeds, pursues, embraces, augments, etc. (and doesn't focus on, perceive, appreciate, acknowledge, heed, pursue, embrace, augment, etc.)

As a consequence (corollary?), a 'collective' forms which sharingly embraces, supports, augments, etc. the 'fulfillment' of each and every value 'set'.

My personally preferred value 'set' consists of (1) LOVE and enJOYment of THE FLOW of LIFE, which of course includes others that are a part of IT (Life = Creativity, Creative Ex-press-ion, etc.) and, of course (2) THE TRUTH pertaining to THAT subject.

And I consequently also regard anything else as more or less being a 'foolish' distraction in said regard - that is, in regards what I regard as being 'most' important - though to others who regard such 'else' as being 'important' it may appear to be a 'wise' investment of their energy and time.

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye (LOVE as LIFE and so) would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Enter ye in at the strait (TRUTH) gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. (Matthew 7:12-14)