Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Greg

The Hindu God

Is the Hindu God pantheistic? I.e not a being as such but a force that resides within everything in the whole universe? I've been a practicing Buddhist for many years but I've just come across Hinduism and am interested.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Is the Hindu God pantheistic? I.e not a being as such but a force that resides within everything in the whole universe? I've been a practicing Buddhist for many years but I've just come across Hinduism and am interested.

Hinduism has a trinity as well. They have Brahma the creator, Vishnu the maintainer and preserve, and Shiva the destroyer or transformer.

Brahma is the beginning and ending. The all. Everything and no-thing is a part of Brahma.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Master
Hi Greg,

You might be interested in a thread I started long ago about Siva http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4500

I am not a Hindu but my teacher grew up in that tradition although he surpassed the need to follow a religion he does explain the essential meaning in a way that is accessible to anybody.

You will hear all sorts of answers to your question, depending on the level of meaning people ascribe to.

The short answer is there is no Buddhist God, or Christian God or Hindu God - but we are all one and the same and the mystic heart of every religion knows that....but its interpreters often forget this.

Many souls working as one collaborative soul - it's a fascinating concept isn't it? But each heart cell is a separate entity, each one doing its duty to pump in unison. Together as a collective they beat as one.

Good luck in your quest for truth - and may you experience God - that's worth a thousand words.........
Old 26-02-2012, 01:24 AM
chaitanyaram

Is Hindu God Pantheistic?

Hello!

I've been studying Indian religion specifically, and philosophy/religion in general for 37 years. Daily. Still can learn a lot more.

I can offer these thoughts, not from the factory of my brain, but academic/spiritual facts.

Hindu spirituality, hard core spirituality is discussed in the Upanisads, which have a commentary by the same author called "Vedanta Sutras".

Within the Vedanta sutras the author explains that the Supreme Brahman, the Souls of All Souls, or "God", as is the common word used, is "Panenthistic".

Pantheism, generally, means God is, or has become everything.

Panentheism, generally, means God's energies have manifested everything, but He Himself has a transcendental existence above and beyond creation....

He is both within and without, and His seperated energies form all that we see. So this computer is not God. It is a manifestation of His energy.

Like a cow and milk. Milk is certainly not the cow, it is an energy of the cow...
Yet, from a certain perspective, milk and the cow have an extremely close relationship.

A leaf is NOT the whole tree, that would be insane. Yet, it is very closely related to the tree. Hope this helps.

Much Love and peace,
chaitanyaram
Old 26-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Master
A core Hindu principle is "Brahman is Atman".

The all-pervading presence beyond all life forms is also the soul within each of them.

Xan

Old 01-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Iksvakave1

Hello

I really don't know what patheistic is --- you will have to explain that to me. I really like the you said ---- not a being as such but a force that resides within everything in the whole universe. I "think" that is the fundamental idea and knoweldge that encompasses much of Hindu thought.

Iksvakave

Quote:
Old 01-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Rin

Quote:
If you are a Buddhist then don't bother with Hinduism. Buddhism is Hinduism on a good diet with vitamins, minerals and supplements.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
If you are a Buddhist then don't bother with Hinduism. Buddhism is Hinduism on a good diet with vitamins, minerals and supplements.
That's rather insulting to Hindus.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:39 AM
Iksvakave1

I don't feel insulted

I am a HIndu. I don't feel insulted by that statement about HIndusim and Bhuddhism.

Iksvakave
Old 01-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Iksvakave1

Where does the idea of pantheism come from?

Where does this idea of pantheism come from? Who first thought about and gave it that name.

Iksvakave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyaram
Hello!

I've been studying Indian religion specifically, and philosophy/religion in general for 37 years. Daily. Still can learn a lot more.

I can offer these thoughts, not from the factory of my brain, but academic/spiritual facts.

Hindu spirituality, hard core spirituality is discussed in the Upanisads, which have a commentary by the same author called "Vedanta Sutras".

Within the Vedanta sutras the author explains that the Supreme Brahman, the Souls of All Souls, or "God", as is the common word used, is "Panenthistic".

Pantheism, generally, means God is, or has become everything.

Panentheism, generally, means God's energies have manifested everything, but He Himself has a transcendental existence above and beyond creation....

He is both within and without, and His seperated energies form all that we see. So this computer is not God. It is a manifestation of His energy.

Like a cow and milk. Milk is certainly not the cow, it is an energy of the cow...
Yet, from a certain perspective, milk and the cow have an extremely close relationship.

A leaf is NOT the whole tree, that would be insane. Yet, it is very closely related to the tree. Hope this helps.

Much Love and peace,
chaitanyaram