Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 26-04-2011, 07:02 PM
iolite

Homeopath -- Is there one here on SF?

I've been looking into some homeopathic remedies for my 13 year old daughter to help with severe monthly cramps. We have an rx for Bentyl (smooth muscle relaxant generally prescribed for IBS), and it helps, somewhat. I've got her on a multi-vitamin supplement, separate B12 and iron to deal with anemia and iodoral to help iodinate her. I know the iodine WILL eventually get into her ovaries and uterus and will eventually lessen the flow and pain, but it will take time. She's not big on taking pills and If I don't remind/nag, she won't take them. I'm starting her on a really good mult-mineral that I found (Country Life Bone Solid) that I've started our dog on as she's developed a couple of cavities. The Bone Solid IS beginning to heal the dental caries. I can see them filling in. So I know that it is a really good, bio-available supplement. In fact, I'm plan on taking it myself.

However, in the next week or so, it will be that time of the month again, and I'd like to try some homeopathic remedies for her if the minerals haven't helped and the bentyl doesn't help. I've been doing some research and I've learned that for issues that have been going on for a long time (and it has) that you want to use a 100C, 200C or even 1M potency. So, I'm going to order the following in 100C potency: Magnesia Phosphorica, Belladona, Sepia and Colocynthis. I've narrowed down to try these four based on her temperament and symptoms. I am currently LOOKING for a homeopath in our vicinity, but I'm not having any luck. So...my question is this... Can I START her on the Magnesia Phosphorica NOW as a constitutional --- 1 dose? and then when her cramps actually appear, how long do I wait before trying another remedy? I was thinking of trying either Belladona or Sepia first as both seem to fit her temperament and symptoms.
Old 26-04-2011, 07:58 PM
lily18

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolite
I've been looking into some homeopathic remedies for my 13 year old daughter to help with severe monthly cramps. We have an rx for Bentyl (smooth muscle relaxant generally prescribed for IBS), and it helps, somewhat. I've got her on a multi-vitamin supplement, separate B12 and iron to deal with anemia and iodoral to help iodinate her. I know the iodine WILL eventually get into her ovaries and uterus and will eventually lessen the flow and pain, but it will take time. She's not big on taking pills and If I don't remind/nag, she won't take them. I'm starting her on a really good mult-mineral that I found (Country Life Bone Solid) that I've started our dog on as she's developed a couple of cavities. The Bone Solid IS beginning to heal the dental caries. I can see them filling in. So I know that it is a really good, bio-available supplement. In fact, I'm plan on taking it myself.

However, in the next week or so, it will be that time of the month again, and I'd like to try some homeopathic remedies for her if the minerals haven't helped and the bentyl doesn't help. I've been doing some research and I've learned that for issues that have been going on for a long time (and it has) that you want to use a 100C, 200C or even 1M potency. So, I'm going to order the following in 100C potency: Magnesia Phosphorica, Belladona, Sepia and Colocynthis. I've narrowed down to try these four based on her temperament and symptoms. I am currently LOOKING for a homeopath in our vicinity, but I'm not having any luck. So...my question is this... Can I START her on the Magnesia Phosphorica NOW as a constitutional --- 1 dose? and then when her cramps actually appear, how long do I wait before trying another remedy? I was thinking of trying either Belladona or Sepia first as both seem to fit her temperament and symptoms.

I would not use belladonna, as it has toxic properties and the magnesia causes diarrhea. Evening Primrose is much safer. Calcium and chamomile are natural muscle relaxers, so I would stick with that as well as the vitamins.
I always took 1 naproxin as soon as the cramps started and really nipped them in the bud, and mine were severe!
Old 26-04-2011, 08:33 PM
iolite

The homeopathic remedy of belladonna has been diluted so much that only the "energy" remains like bach flower remedies, there are no toxic properties left. Calcium is a muscle contractor, not a relaxant. My daughter cannot take naproxin due to a bleeding disorder.
Old 26-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Master
Okay what about magnesium or Ginger root powder or actual ginger you can cut up and boil and make tea with, I would really research the ginger.
Spiritlite.
Old 26-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Deactivated Account
As your child is only 13 years old I would take her to the gp in the first instance, ask them for help or for a recommendation of a legit and approved homeopath, asking online frankly could lead to trouble as no one online can know all of your child's medical history, a suggestion offered with the best of intentions may have an adverse effect on your daughter.

And it may sound old fashioned, but a hot water bottle, wrapped up so it doesn't burn the skin, applied to the tummy can ease the cramps a little.

Spiritual Inspiration

The forum for seekers everywhere...
Old 30-04-2011, 11:15 PM
iolite

I did take her to the pediatrician. Her solution is to put my child on birth control pills. Her cramps are severe enough to miss school. Hot water bottles (or heating pads or those Thermocare Heat wraps) don't put a dent in the pain. She's not going to drink ginger tea. That is why I am looking into homeopathy.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Master
There is this in the UK and I'm thinking there must be an equivalent in the US
www.britishhomeopathic.org/

Also, a top-notch supplier - in the UK but they do mail order
www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/uk/our.../nelsons-homeopathy

Worth a go !

p.s. found this
http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-us/us/

In the meantime, you could start her off on Rescue Remedy

The nelsons link gives a lot of advice including -
Natural remedies for period pains
  • Homeopathy has been traditionally used to relieve the symptoms of painful periods, and useful remedies include Mag phos, Dioscorea, Nux vom and Colocynthis. (Always read the label.)
  • Acupuncture is primarily used to ease the symptoms of pain and can improve wellbeing and restore balance.
  • Aromatherapy massages can be very helpful in relieving cramps and pain, stress and emotional imbalances associated with menstruating. Alternatively, you can add a few drops of chamomile, geranium or lavender oil to a warm bath.
  • Manipulation such as chiropractic and osteopathy have been shown to be effective in treating sufferers of chronic period pains.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 PM
iolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
There is this in the UK and I'm thinking there must be an equivalent in the US
www.britishhomeopathic.org/

Also, a top-notch supplier - in the UK but they do mail order
www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/uk/our.../nelsons-homeopathy

Worth a go !

p.s. found this
http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-us/us/

In the meantime, you could start her off on Rescue Remedy

The nelsons link gives a lot of advice including -
Natural remedies for period pains
  • Homeopathy has been traditionally used to relieve the symptoms of painful periods, and useful remedies include Mag phos, Dioscorea, Nux vom and Colocynthis. (Always read the label.)
  • Acupuncture is primarily used to ease the symptoms of pain and can improve wellbeing and restore balance.
  • Aromatherapy massages can be very helpful in relieving cramps and pain, stress and emotional imbalances associated with menstruating. Alternatively, you can add a few drops of chamomile, geranium or lavender oil to a warm bath.
  • Manipulation such as chiropractic and osteopathy have been shown to be effective in treating sufferers of chronic period pains.

Thanks Norseman!

I've done quite a bit of researching on the 'net about which remedies to try. I was just hopin' that there was a resident homeopath that I could ask about 'constitutionals' vs remedies. I'm still trying to find one locally ... so far not much luck. *sigh*

I've got her on iodine supplementation (iodoral) to help get her iodinated, which I know will make her periods much, much easier. But it's just going to take time to detox all that nasty bromide out of her tissues and get that iodine in there where it needs to be, especially since she's not a co-operative vitamin-pill taker. If I don't lay them out for her and stand over her, she won't take them. I keep telling her that it's good for her and will help her (especially the FBD ladies....) but she just does not like taking pills.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Master
I think instead of just b12 you should have her on a total b-complex. the B vitamins are great for so many things and chances are if she's anemic it's from iron deficiency and not b-12 anyways.. not that I am a doctor! I just think that especially given the situation her being b-12 anemic is not too much to worry about but a b-complex is great for so many things..

I personally use a remedy from Hyland's. I have one called Menstrual Cramps and one simply called PMS.. and both have worked wonderfully for me almost every time I've taken them and for my mom as well though my mom is not into all of this stuff, sometimes she takes what I give her and she's asked for those remedies over because they helped her so much.
If you are going to try one of those, she may have to take it more often for her acute condition until they start working. Most of the times I've used them, my cramps were gone within a few minutes. there was at least one time where they hung around longer though.
when taking a homeopathic remedy you want to make sure that you spill the pills into the cap and place them under the tongue (at least these remedies from Hyland's) and don't touch them with your hands. Also don't eat or drink or smoke anything for about 15 minutes before and after taking them.
again I'm not a doctor but I personally would nix the rx especially since you're keen on alternatives and it doesn't even help her that much.. well good luck!!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 PM
iolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphirez
I think instead of just b12 you should have her on a total b-complex. the B vitamins are great for so many things and chances are if she's anemic it's from iron deficiency and not b-12 anyways.. not that I am a doctor! I just think that especially given the situation her being b-12 anemic is not too much to worry about but a b-complex is great for so many things..

I personally use a remedy from Hyland's. I have one called Menstrual Cramps and one simply called PMS.. and both have worked wonderfully for me almost every time I've taken them and for my mom as well though my mom is not into all of this stuff, sometimes she takes what I give her and she's asked for those remedies over because they helped her so much.
If you are going to try one of those, she may have to take it more often for her acute condition until they start working. Most of the times I've used them, my cramps were gone within a few minutes. there was at least one time where they hung around longer though.
when taking a homeopathic remedy you want to make sure that you spill the pills into the cap and place them under the tongue (at least these remedies from Hyland's) and don't touch them with your hands. Also don't eat or drink or smoke anything for about 15 minutes before and after taking them.
again I'm not a doctor but I personally would nix the rx especially since you're keen on alternatives and it doesn't even help her that much.. well good luck!!

Thanks for your response. She is on a b-complex with her multi. She's on extra b12 and iron because her iron and b12 levels were really, really low, due to the blood loss from the heavy periods. I'll certainly give the hyland remedies a try. It's frustrating to see her in so much pain and not have anything that really helps. I'm really hoping that homeopathy will be helpful for her.